SASS Wire Forum

Breakfast steak?

Alpo

I wondered if maybe it's because he's a Yankee - they talk funny, after all - or if it's just a term I'm not used to.

Griffin frequently has his characters request a breakfast steak with fried eggs. If I wanted steak and eggs for breakfast, I would order "steak and eggs". If the steak that arrived was 2" thick, that's wonderful. If the steak that arrived was a half inch thick - well, as long as it wasn't overcooked and turned into shoe leather, that would also be wonderful.

Do y'all know what a breakfast steak is? In what way would a breakfast steak be different from any other steak? Thinner, so it would cook faster? Smaller portion - like maybe three or four ounces - instead of a ten to sixteen ounce dinner steak?

Or just a bit of Yankee vernacular?

A small, 6ish ounce sirloin is what you get when you order breakfast steaks in quantity for various fund-raising breakfasts my family has done here in eastern Oregon.

Most establishments serve  thin slice of bottom round steak(these are commercially available from 

Institutional supply houses ).

My favorite is a nice,thin rib eye cooked medium rare.

27 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

^ This.  And it's not a Northern thing.  It's pretty much everywhere.  

I thought so too. I remember seeing "breakfast steak" on Truck Stop menus across the US.

When we've  had pigs butchered my favorite part was the bacon, sausage and the large smoked ham steaks that are used for breakfast. The pork chops and roasts were good but not as big a difference compared to store bought bacon etc.

After the first time we had more of the roasts used to make more delicious link sausage. 

5 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

growing up, we always called these breakfast steaks

image.png.7f98c4fee556444cc63335966d5df891.png

I used to love those. The haven’t seen them in years. We used to get them here in California made by a local meat company but I haven’t seen any of them in quite a while.

One of the things (good or bad) that comes with working shifts around the clock, is that certain foods don't seem odd at other than their usual times.

With that being said, when I worked in a butcher shop in the 70's, they ran beef cuts through a cuber/tenderizer and they were called minute steaks, intended for a quick breakfast.

ive never ordered steak and eggs - i always think of pork at breakfast myself - a chop least often , bacon most often , ham or suasage in the middle but ....

i always thought the breakfast steak would be a lesser quality steak - thus not ordering it , if i want steak , i want a good steak , i have friends that order hamberger steak with their eggs - im not going to ground beef either , 

i have had a fried egg on my hamburger , in the bun with other stuff , not my go-to either , 

I love steak and eggs. I also love pork chops and eggs, bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, hamburger and eggs...it just depends on my mood. One of my latest kicks is a sunrise burger. A fully loaded bacon cheeseburger with a fried over easy egg on it. Mmmm-Mmmmm is that good! Right next to a bunch of fries. Good stuff, Maynard. 

I've had to perform the Heimlich maneuver twice in my life; both times within 6 months of each other. The first was at a reception where there were long skewers of beef, cut with the grain. I told my wife they looked like an outright choking hazard. Sure enough, it wasn't a half hour before a lady was choking on one.

The other was a a church monthly Men's Breakfast. The annual "Steak and Eggs" breakfast.

The maneuver works. I did in both cases, but in the 'steak and eggs' case I was the only one who could do it, being 6' 4" and the guy being extremely overweight. The main rule: do it as hard as you can.

You gotta be careful chewing beef....

Navy fed me steak and eggs several times.  Could have been cardboard my attention was else where.

I’m a Yankee and never heard of breakfast steak! Actually I’ve never even had steak for breakfast!

Archived