SASS Wire Forum

Source of Real Black Powder in Northern California

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Good Day:

My son, who lives in Sacramento, is looking to start shooting muzzle loading guns.

I have several MLers that I am going to bring to him next time we head West, but I have no idea where to recommend getting BP.
Is real BP available, or are subs all that is available?

Any help is appreciated.

--Dawg 

I'm not sure about buying bp at gun stores. I do see triple 7 at them. The best way to get it is to go in with another shooter or two and order a case. A couple of distributers will sell in 10 pound lots but its cheaper to buy a 25 pound case.

Yes, I've thought of both those choices.

I am hoping to hear from some NoCal BP shooters who can tell me where they buy it.

Thanks

--Dawg 

30 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I've  ordered almost all of mine from Maine powderhouse or powderinc.. I've bought a few pounds of Triple 7 at the gun store but a lot of them don't  carry real bp.

Yep, that's the way it is around here for the most part.

I buy it by the case, but I'm sure a pound or two will suffice for my son.

Hoping there is a shop in the area that specializes in muzzleloaders where he might buy a small quantity.

Thanks

--Dawg

You could stop by my house and get some. Might be the easiest way.

Might take you up on that!

And pick up some big lubes at the same time.

Thanks

--Dawg

Sounds like a plan. I know of no store that carries it, always share a mail order myself. Any estimate on when you will be here? Maybe you can get in a shoot or two. 

sounds like calif will be going back to its old west roots and making your own BP in the future - not at all a bad thing to be sure , just sad that our times have come to this , should look into brewing beer , distilling whiskey and brandy as well , lets see ...oh yes growing your own tobacco - now all you need is those nice mexican homemade tortilla chips and a bit of dip for a federal holiday , 

hope you get what you need , sad state of affairs when we have to say that in this country , 

i gotta stop im gettin wound up and need to get to bed , get out and vote for whoever you like - its your right .......for now 

8 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Sounds like a plan. I know of no store that carries it, always share a mail order myself. Any estimate on when you will be here? Maybe you can get in a shoot or two. 

I'll give you plenty of notice!
Probably won't be before Christmas, as my wife won't travel with covid as bad as it it.

No plans at the present time.

--Dawg 

It's been a good while since I've seen it for sale here. The subs are of course available in a few places. I started using Black MZ because it was available at Sportsman's Warehouse for $10. If I wanted the real McCoy I got it shipped in from Connies. Here is one thing that many folks are not aware of.

From Calguns:

"California does place limits on storage of smokeless propellant - 20 pounds - and black powder - 1 pound. Prohibited persons may not possess any ammunition, or reloaded ammunition (Penal Code 30305) or any ammunition components (Penal Code 16150)."

Snakebite 

Dawg,

I can bring some to Sacramento Valley Shooting Center for your son. There are no stores that I know of selling real BP in the Sacramento area. Or come shoot the Western Frontiersman Territorial, April 23-25, 2020! It will be at Sac Valley Shooting Center.

The California State WB Championship is Nov 21 & 22, 2020, I'll be there from Nov 18- 23. I'll bring powder for your son, he can pick it up at Diamond Dicks Cowboy Town within Sac Valley Shooting Center. Let me know.

Another option, there is a muzzle loading club at Sac Valley, they most likely have a powder source?

Tully

Dawg, if he can beg, borrow, or somehow appropriate some in the short run, we had Goex as a vendor at Winter Range this year. We expect them back in 2021,  so one of the numerous California shooters could pick him up some. Or better yet, he can send in his shooter application and have the time of his life shooting WR and bring back real BP to boot!

Snakebite: I have heard that is the requirement, but that is certainly not easy to do in the real world. If you want to follow that to the letter you have to have a few guys split the package, and be ordering a new package every 2-3 days. If you are a Flintlock shooter you need 2 kinds of powder, I guess you just store 1/2 lb of each and don't shoot very much.

Thanks for all the help.

I didn't know about the 1 pound rule.
Heck, I go through several pounds in a long loading session!
I'll bring a pound with me when I bring him the guns, and let him know your ideas.

I didn't start shooting MLers until I moved to Ohio from California.

We have Very relaxed rules compared to yours, so I'm glad I asked.

Thanks

--Dawg

3 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Snakebite: I have heard that is the requirement, but that is not do-able in the real world. If we really wanted to follow that to the letter we would have to have 25 guys split the package, and be ordering a new package every 2-3 days. I shoot with one guy who shoots 7 times a month, and I myself load for 4 people. The 1 lb requirement is ridiculous. What if you are a flintlock shooter, you will need some ffg for the barrel and some ffffg for the priming.

Slim, you may not be aware of it but I have actually had some experience shooting BP. The requirement may indeed be ridiculous, but it is the law. My posting was just to make sure that everyone realizes that it is the law. Smart folks don't get on a public forum and tell everyone about their illegal activities. It's kinda like the guys that offer to illegally bring in ammo for someone living in California. IMO it's just not a smart thing to advertise. We all do what we need to do, but telling the world that we are going to break the law isn't something that I would choose to do. 

Snakebite 

I recently did a internet search and found that for Goex there was no sellers in NV.  The nearest to Reno is in Auburn, Auburn Outdoor Sports.  The next location is in Vacaville, Guns Fishing & Other Stuff*. 

CA has strict regulations regarding storing Black Powder.  More than 1 pound requires a special permit.  A violation is a felony.   Also, the same applies to more than 20 pounds of smokeless.

*Bought my 1st main match rifle there in 2011,  I was looking for a Colt Lightning clone in 45Colt.  I checked many LGS's in SF Bay Area & GF&OS was the 1st LGS that had one, a Beretta Gold Rush (Uberti) & a significantly cheaper Taurus Lightning.  The Taurus was so rough operating that I willingly paid twice as much for the Beretta.

Archived