SASS Wire Forum

Further evidence that this country has lost it

Alpo

This picture is from an article about Jim Jones - the "preacher" who persuaded his followers to drink the poison Kool-Aid.

jimdabbs-7-768x434.jpg.db86bf20634eb20a32742aa6b1a9fc9d.jpg

The caption said, "young Jim, shown on the far left in the picture ..."

Really? In that picture of six children there is only one boy. Why did they feel they need to identify which of the six children was Jim? Because someone might think the girl in the plaid dress had masculine features and therefore was Jim, self-identifying as a girl?

Because, as a writer, if you don't cover all your bases and explain every last little thing, someone will find fault with it. I had an editor reject a photo of a revolver because the hammer was cocked and they didn't want to show a firearm in an unsafe condition. The gun was not loaded but he said if they ran the photo people would complain. I had to redo the setup (months later) and retake all the images with the hammer down. It is the world we live in. People find fault with everything.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

That photo looks like it is a photoshop ... (constructed). 

If you look at the outlines around the clothes/heads/bodies of the people ... it looks like they were taken from another photo and pasted onto the background. 

I noticed that also and at least one shadow looks off.......

3 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

That photo looks like it is a photoshop ... (constructed). 

If you look at the outlines around the clothes/heads/bodies of the people ... it looks like they were taken from another photo and pasted onto the background. 

That was a common retouching technique back in the day. The subjects were outlined with a brush to provide some separation from their surroundings. Without it, the adult's hair would have blended into the tree. Some were skilled at it, others like this one, not so much.

Calm down. The country has not lost it yet. I remain optimistic. 
And occasionally highly aggravated.

I will now go and smell the Juniper. :P

i also thought photoshopped - but then i was never a professional photographer - i did my share of darkroom work back in the 70-80s but i was not a journalist either - wish they would check their facts that careful today , 

i remember jim jones very well , may he rot in hell with others like him that preyed on their fellow man , 

to the OP , i also might have asked that question , it does seem illogical to have to point out the only boy in the photo as a male , yet in today's thinking of more than two genders or none at all , i guess it might make sense to some , im glad im old these days i can just say whats on my mind in the way we were raised and to heck with what anyone thinks of me , 

Having met women with names such as Frank, George, Glenn, James, Willie and Bob (may have been a nick name) and men named Marion, Leslie and similar, typically female, names, I can understand very well why someone might note the position of a person in a photo showing several people.

Angus

12 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Having met women with names such as Frank, George, Glenn, James, Willie and Bob (may have been a nick name) and men named Marion, Leslie and similar, typically female, names, I can understand very well why someone might note the position of a person in a photo showing several people.

Angus

? Like "Marion Morrison??

Archived