SASS Wire Forum

Gun smith needed

Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022

There was a smith of great renown in or around Hearn, name was Lonnie Ammons. People spoke very highly of him. I don't know if he is still in business, but I believe if you contact Cimarron in Fredericksburg they could tell you how to find  him.

Actually, it'd be easier to drive the old one out and replace it with a new one. That of course is if it's a separate part. First though, I'd drive it out and "clock" it so "new meat" would be in position and then profile accordingly. If it's not a separate part,  I'd measure the diameter., grind flat then drill a new hole (smaller than the dia.) to mount a new section of drill bit of correct dia., ground down to allow mounting in the drilled hole.

Replacing the hammer changes everything, timing, cycle length, trigger seer engagement .  .  .

Mike

The problem with this hammer is the cam is part of the machining of the hammer.  Unlike the Colts, that can be punched out from the rear.  I would about be willing to attempt it, BUT!! it has to be drilled exactly perpendicular to the hammer.  I dont think I can do it on the lathe. Wish I had a milling machine, then it would be no problem.  I had heard that AWA hammers were nearly a exact match for the Pietta but.... then....

1 hour ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

The problem with this hammer is the cam is part of the machining of the hammer.  Unlike the Colts, that can be punched out from the rear.  I would about be willing to attempt it, BUT!! it has to be drilled exactly perpendicular to the hammer.  I dont think I can do it on the lathe. Wish I had a milling machine, then it would be no problem.  I had heard that AWA hammers were nearly a exact match for the Pietta but.... then....

Grind of file the cam flat enough to locate the center and drill the hole. Grind or file the rest of the cam off flat.  The cam from Dixie is only $5.00.  Small cost and small risk.  

AWA's Single Actions were NOT made by Pietta.  AWA's Longhorne Single Actions were made by Armi San Marco.  However, the ASM built single Actions, to include the AWA Longhorn were/are ringers for a Second Generation Colt.  As is the Pietta Great Western II line of Single Actions.  I would not hesitate to exchange a Pietta GW II hammer for the AWA hammer.  The changes in in the action will actually be very minimal if any.  

Archived