SASS Wire Forum

I have a confession to make

Dirty Dan Dawkins

42 minutes ago, DocWard said:

What is this "dance" thing of which you speak?

You must not have listened to the song. You’ll lose yourself to the rhythm and beat.

2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

You must not have listened to the song. You’ll lose yourself to the rhythm and beat.

The song came out in 1983. I graduated from an inner city high school in 1984, went to my share of parties with friends of different races, and listened to music across genres. I've heard it plenty of times, trust me.

While I have a number of other songs from the funk, R&B and soul genres, and early hip-hop on my iPod and on CDs and gathering dust as cassettes ('Word Up' by Cameo came up just awhile ago on shuffle), that song has never been one I've enjoyed. The fact you do is awesome.

Oh, and while I do have an OK sense of rhythm, and yes, I can dance when necessary--I was in our ensemble my Junior and Senior years, which included show ensemble, it isn't my forte, especially these days.

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

The song came out in 1983. I graduated from an inner city high school in 1984, went to my share of parties with friends of different races, and listened to music across genres. I've heard it plenty of times, trust me.

While I have a number of other songs from the funk, R&B and soul genres, and early hip-hop on my iPod and on CDs and gathering dust as cassettes ('Word Up' by Cameo came up just awhile ago on shuffle), that song has never been one I've enjoyed. The fact you do is awesome.

Oh, and while I do have an OK sense of rhythm, and yes, I can dance when necessary--I was in our ensemble my Junior and Senior years, which included show ensemble, it isn't my forte, especially these days.

Did it get to you yet?

1 minute ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Did it get to you yet?

Nope. Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine pretty much did away with any chance of that. It does make me want to jump into a mosh pit, except I remember what it felt like the next day after being in one when I was a much younger man.

1 minute ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I don’t understand. Maybe Gloria was wrong.

Now Gloria Estefan is a totally different subject, although I prefer this:

Wait, are we still talking about music???

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

Now Gloria Estefan is a totally different subject, although I prefer this:

Wait, are we still talking about music???

Whatever you want to talk about....

On 11/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

This is one of my favorite dance songs

Things must be slow around Ranch Relaxo

Kajun

On 11/2/2020 at 10:39 AM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Or maybe this.. Could it be my French-Canadian heritage  coming out? My great grandparents came from Quebec.

Ah something close to home.  I gradjumifikated from McNeese State University in Lake Charles, Louisiana and Jole Blon was our fight song, every time we scored a touchdown the band would break out in Jole Blon.  I grew up hearing Doug Kershaw and several other Cajun artists singing that song.  You can find more info about that song here.

Kajun

1 hour ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Ah something close to home.  I gradjumifikated from McNeese State University in Lake Charles, Louisiana and Jole Blon was our fight song, every time we scored a touchdown the band would break out in Jole Blon.  I grew up hearing Doug Kershaw and several other Cajun artists singing that song.  You can find more info about that song here.

Kajun

Thanks,it has been my favorite waltzs, I was stationed at Lake Charles and after spending 3 years in France I could hold a conversation in passable French. I got along great with the people there.

On 11/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I don’t understand. Maybe Gloria was wrong. I guess the rhythm doesn’t get everybody

Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine have never been wrong. Even after I sobered up and could truly enjoy dancing and women with a clear head, her music could always get me out on the parquet.  

"...Must be the generation gap..." 

im going with this - i recall the disco era vaguely but it was not my time zone - if this was not disc era stuff it just proves my point , \

now if you recall buddy hollies death you can get a grasp on what was my era 

Kajun, you gotta teach me to dance a Cajun rhythm.  For the rest of y'all, if you're born in South Carolina, you're born knowing how to shag.

Archived