SASS Wire Forum

Trench Guns

Subdeacon Joe

From the Hillebrand Rifles FB group.

World War I, US forces deploy the Winchester Model 1897 short barrel, pump action shotgun, or M97 Trench Gun, to devestating effect — each round of buckshot ammunition contained nine 00 (.33-caliber) pellets. So devestating in fact, that Imperial Germany formally protests the US’s use of this barbaric weapon.  From a period political cartoon, Uncle Sam laughs off the Kaiser’s protest, pointing out the extensive list of barbaric actions taken by Germany.

FB_IMG_1604261264689.jpg

Old retired lawman here.
I like my shotgun.
Reeeeeal welllll!
EDIT TO ADD:

I was coming home one night from Lodge and stopped in Village Hall to say howdy to the Marshal.

I wore a Western suit that night, and soon as I stepped through the door, the Marshal hung up the phone:  "Get the gun from behind your seat, we've got a fight at the Cozy."

I went back outside and belted on my gunbelt.

Single Six with the magnum cylinder installed, and I dunked two rounds of 00 buck into the Bernardelli Gamecock, for I'd been grouse hunting the day before and always carried a couple persuader rounds with me when I did.

When we arrived, all was quiet, which was an ominous sign.

Eddie and I went in:  he went down the middle like a politician running for office, glad-handing people, calling them by name, slapping backs, how's Martha, your boy scored the winning touchdown, I hear you're an uncle now -- and I stepped through the door, took a quick step to the right, getting wall to my back:  I held the double gun at high port and did not move, just regarded the interior with sweeps of my Stetson-shadowed eyes.

There was no fight to be found and everyone was careful to be very well behaved.

It seems -- we found out later, street sources are wonderful for providing gaps in the information -- a transient came in with intent to coax the lone cop into coming in, he intended to bend a pipe over his head, take his gun, kill the cop, stick up the place, move on to the next town, drop the gun in transit and do it again.

Word had it ... that when that long tall skinny cop came in with that big double barrel gun, he just stood there like Doc Holliday himself and multiple sources swore that they could see white skulls where my eyes should have been.

Had to be their imagination, I can't look that mean if I tried.

The holdup and his partner tried to stick up a little Mom & Pop general store on their way to Macarthur, only Mom pulled out a Colt .32 automatic from her apron pocket and Pop came up from behind the counter with a double gun, and when they were hauled off to County, one said to the other "Man, we ain't nebber comin' back heeah, ebber one dese dam' hillbillies got gons!"

I'll be darn.

A cop with a shotgun prevented a killin'.

How about that.

Was just rewatching episodes of The Pacific. When John Basilone was in the battle for which he won the Medal of Honor there was at least one Marine using a Model 97 doing prodigious work against a Japanese bayonet charge. 

Seamus

The story goes that the late, great Bill Jordon was patrolling in a rough section of (IIRC) El Paso, when he spotted a known drug runner.  The runner took off in the direction of an alley. Jordon knew if the guy got to the alley and Bill tried to follow, he would be backlit by the street lamp.  In spite of Jordon's reputation and prowess with a .357 Magnum revolver, he grabbed his M97 from the patrol car, jumping out and racking the slide as he did. Hearing the sound, the perp came to a screeching halt and threw both hands straight up in the air!

There are many sounds in this world.  There's the sound of a baby laughing and kids playing.  But there's no sound quite like the sound of a Model 97 being racked in the darkness! :D

Stay well and safe, Pards. If you haven't already, VOTE!

Archived