SASS Wire Forum

Brass 12ga w/ a surprise

Turkey Flats Jack

I've been loading brass hulls for a while but had a couple this morning catch me off guard. I picked up some used a while back and hadn't gotten around to process them. What better way to spend a fall Sunday morning than church on the radio and doing some case prep for next season? I found it humorous that the sermon was about patience and having it tested as I went through this. After cutting them down to length and annealing them I started to deprime and prime them. Well I broke my rcbs 12 ga decapper on one. How the heck does that happen? Look down inside the hull and it's berdan style primer set up. SMH well set it aside and repair the decapper with what I have on hand. I tack welded a washer where the e clip should have been since I didn't have any on hand the appropriate size. Ended up being 2 like that in the lot.  Both Remington hulls. 

IMG_20201101_102712494.jpg

IMG_20201101_102631673_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20201101_102653431.jpg

Back in the late '80s-early '90s, Remington sold boxes of 25 in a metal "box" marked as "Ducks Unlimited", all brass shotshells... IRCC, they were loaded with 1-¼ of #6 @ 2-¾ drams... pretty stout shooting shotshells.  I don't know where they were made, but all were Berdan primed.  I have 5 of the collectable metal boxes of 25 rounds...  I don't recall if the hulls were individually identified in some manner as DU collectable. 

Yes, I do recall... each hull has a green overshot card with "DU" in gold imprinted on 'em.  

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Back in the late '80s-early '90s, Remington sold boxes of 25 in a metal "box" marked as "Ducks Unlimited", all brass shotshells... IRCC, they were loaded with 1-¼ of #6 @ 2-¾ drams... pretty stout shooting shotshells.  I don't know where they were made, but all were Berdan primed.  I have 5 of the collectable metal boxes of 25 rounds...  I don't recall if the hulls were individually identified in some manner as DU collectable. 

Heard that a lot of those would split on first firing.

Maybe so, I only fired a half dozen or so out of one box, to reload... when I found they were berdan primed.  None of mine split.  

34 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't recall if the hulls were individually identified in some manner as DU collectable.

If you look at the head stamp there's a D.U. on these. I'm guessing that maybe what I have here.

37 minutes ago, Griff said:

I have 5 of the collectable metal boxes of 25 rounds...

are the hulls collectible or just the boxes they came in? If there's collectors value I wont drill these out and run'em. I'll pass them on to someone that will value what they are. 

@John Boy I'd only ever reloaded magtech, umc, and winchesters and all of those have been boxer primed. I never even noticed these were remington until after it happened. I quite looking a long time ago. 

I think that once they're fired, with no external markings to show they were DU shells, I suspect only the tin boxes would be collectable.

And Remington obviously didn't think they'd be collectable, as they sent me 2 or 3 cases of the things to give away as door prizes at our first cowboy annual match.  Gave 'em away till folks started asking for something else as their door prize!!!  

Jack,

Can you tell us how you cut down or trim the length of shells this size?  I have a couple of large calibers my regular case trimmer won’t take. Thanks

Seamus

I’ve trimmed a bunch of 45-70 down to 45-60 using one of these. Worked really well. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

@Seamus McGillicuddy Hoss nailed it with his link to harbor freight. but before that I used a copper tubing cutter. it's slow but gets the job done. but that mini chop saw does 2 dozen in about the time it would take me with the pipe cutter. 

Just a head's-up the early Magtech 12 ga all brass shells were berdan primed also.

I had a jig for my 45-70 cases. I put one in, It wasn’t secured. Started cutting. Instead of cutting the case started spinning. When I raised the saw it jumped out of the jig, hit me in the chest, my bench, and wound up on the floor where is spun for quite a while like a top. I think the blade on the chop saw turns at 10,000 RPMs! 

1 hour ago, Earl Brasse, SASS #3562 said:

Just a head's-up the early Magtech 12 ga all brass shells were berdan primed also.

how early? all the ones that I have from the late 90's are boxer primed as the ones that i've bought in the last few years.

I think it was back when they 1st came into the country, can't remember exactly.

I started shooting SASS in the early 90's.

I bought a case of them & never did a thing with them.

They then came out with the boxer primed ones so I sold them to a feller who I think was going to drill them out to take shotshell primers.

Archived