SASS Wire Forum

Purly SASS # 57438

Shotgun instructions are for 4 + shots.

Targets are popper targets. Shooter is to shoot a knockdown that throws a clay into the air. Two targets. Any missed birds can be made up on stationary target. Shooter knockdowns first popper and hits bird. Then shoots second knockdown but next shot foes not fire. Shooter reloads two shells and shoots stationary target. 

No call.  Fired 4+ shells,  made up miss on flyer on stationary.   Next shooter!  

PURLY,

please clarify.   Are you saying that the shooter hits the KD with the THIRD shot but the FOURTH shot failed to fire at the bird,

OR, are you saying the shooter attempted to shoot the KD BUT the round didn't fire?

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

PURLY,

please clarify.   Are you saying that the shooter hits the KD with the THIRD shot but the FOURTH shot failed to fire at the bird,

OR, are you saying the shooter attempted to shoot the KD BUT the round didn't fire?

..........Widder

He tried to shoot but the round never fired. He reloaded, double barrel,  and shot the make up. To late for the bird.

14 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Was there controversy about the call? Seems like an obvious no call.

I said it was a no call, and one of my favorite cowboys wasn't sure.  No real controversy or dispute though.  He's a smart fella and his question made me wonder if I got it right. My reasoning was that the shooter attempted to engage the flyer until it hit the ground, at that point he reloaded and hit the makeup, satisfying the 4+ shotgun requirement.

He did it correctly. The only thing that might even be remotely in question, very remotely, is he didn't "shoot where it was", meaning putting shot #4 somewhere in the air over the popper where the clay would have been. Putting both shots on the makeup may have saved a few hundredths of a second over "shooting where it was", then swinging to the makeup target. Did he place .04 second ahead of the next guy? Then it could be a controversy, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

He did it correctly. The only thing that might even be remotely in question, very remotely, is he didn't "shoot where it was", meaning putting shot #4 somewhere in the air over the popper where the clay would have been. Putting both shots on the makeup may have saved a few hundredths of a second over "shooting where it was", then swinging to the makeup target. Did he place .04 second ahead of the next guy? Then it could be a controversy, I suppose.

I  don't recall if he shot two at the makeup or just one.  I'm pretty sure he fired a total of 4 shotgun, but I'll defer to Purly on that. 

Admittedly I wasn't as steady as usual having picked up a MDQ on the previous stage.

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I  don't recall if he shot two at the makeup or just one.  I'm pretty sure he fired a total of 4 shotgun, but I'll defer to Purly on that. 

Should have shot 5. First popper, first clay, second popper, second clay "where it would have been" which would be a miss on the 4th shot, then the fifth round on the makeup.

12 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Should have shot 5. First popper, first clay, second popper, second clay "where it would have been" which would be a miss on the 4th shot, then the fifth round on the makeup.

The OP stated that the instructions said, "any "missed birds can be made up on stationary target"... Shooting "where it would have been" would not satisfy that.  Not one iota of controversy.  From the sound of it the shooter "engaged" the second flyer, only needed to fire one more round, and since flyer was on the ground, shot at stationary target, only four rounds needed to be fired.

3 hours ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Shotgun instructions are for 4 + shots.

Targets are popper targets. Shooter is to shoot a knockdown that throws a clay into the air. Two targets. Any missed birds can be made up on stationary target. Shooter knockdowns first popper and hits bird. Then shoots second knockdown but next shot foes not fire. Shooter reloads two shells and shoots stationary target. 

So the shooter shot 5 times and only had to shoot 4 to satisfy the shooting description. I could see that going either way, I guess, but it fits the interpretation of "engaged" in the Glossary of Terms in the Shooter's Handbook. Engaged – attempting to fire a round at the target. Back the timer up one shot and record the time. Case closed.

12 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

So the shooter shot 5 times and only had to shoot 4 to satisfy the shooting description. I could see that going either way, I guess, but it fits the interpretation of "engaged" in the Glossary of Terms in the Shooter's Handbook. Engaged – attempting to fire a round at the target. Back the timer up one shot and record the time. Case closed.

Actually, engaging a target doesn't satisfy the requirement to FIRE 4+ rounds.   So the reload and firing the 4th round still needs to happen.  "Engaging" the target only gets one so far... i.e. cannot be accused of unsportsmanlike conduct by willfully failing to engage targets.  No provision in the rules to back up the timer or otherwise decrease the time shown on the clock.

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Was there controversy about the call? Seems like an obvious no call.

No controversy.  Just wondering if you have to fire at the died or where it was before going to a make up target for a miss. If you don't shoot at a target it's a miss. Engaging is not hitting.

Suppose I shot both knockdown targets before I attempted to hit the fliers and just shot the two makeup targets because both fliers hit the ground before I could reload the shotgun.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Admittedly I wasn't as steady as usual having picked up a MDQ on the previous stage.

I think the right call was made.

The shooter did attempt to shoot the second pop up target. Then after reloading a second time fired at the makeup plate. In your scenario if a shooter shot both knockdown activators first, reloaded and with no attempt to hit the popups and immediately shot the makeup plate twice that would be a problem. It would take most shooters a little more time to hit the popup target then a bigger plate with less chance of a miss.

17 minutes ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Suppose I shot both knockdown targets before I attempted to hit the fliers and just shot the two makeup targets because both fliers hit the ground before I could reload the shotgun.

SOG in my book.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Evil Bob, I think if ole CBB got a MDQ he got all the love he wuz due! :blink:

Kajun

2 hours ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

No controversy.  Just wondering if you have to fire at the died or where it was before going to a make up target for a miss. If you don't shoot at a target it's a miss. Engaging is not hitting.

Purly,

I did that once at Cleveland.   I dropped both poppers (one on each side of the berm) and then grabbed 2 more shells

and was able to get both shots off while the fliers were still airborne.     To my dismay, I missed both of them.   BUT..... I did

get those 2 shots off while both birds were in the air.     NO, the SG was not preloaded... ;)

..........Widder

Widder. That sounds like the two were spread pretty far apart. I've  seen the very good shotgunners drop the two activators reload and get both in the air but not necessarily with them spread apart that far. I'm sure you've had success when they are closer together.

6 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Back up the timer? The shooter took the shot. That was the shooters last shot in the course of fire. It counts.

But other than that, agree case closed, no call.

It's unclear if he shot 4 or 5. If he shot 5, and 4 was all he needed to shoot, go back and record his time at the 24th shot instead of the 25th. Or the 25th - either way, it doesn't change what I'm having for dinner. B)

5 hours ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Then you would have earned a penalty for failing to engage the flyers.

15 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

It's unclear if he shot 4 or 5. If he shot 5, and 4 was all he needed to shoot, go back and record his time at the 24th shot instead of the 25th. Or the 25th - either way, it doesn't change what I'm having for dinner. B)

Only shot 4. 1. Knockdown.  2 flyer. 3 Knockdown.  4 makeup target. 

1 hour ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Only shot 4. 1. Knockdown.  2 flyer. 3 Knockdown.  4 makeup target. 

In that case, 1 miss (4th shot missed the bird...needed a 5th shot on the makeup to negate that miss).

Any missed birds can be made up on stationary target.

Archived