SASS Wire Forum

Daylight savings

Perro Del Diablo

But do you at least get paid for it?

Many years ago I was a security guard and I was working the midnight to eight shift. When I got my paycheck that week I was paid for 40 hours. I told them that Sunday I had worked nine hours because of the time change. They insisted that my shift started at midnight and ended at 8:00 a.m., which meant it was 8 hours.

I lost that argument.

Amazingly, several months later, when we did the time change again, and again I was working midnight, that week I only got 39 hours. They informed me that because of the time change Sunday I only worked seven hours.

When you are young and dumb, and working minimum wage, often your employer has you by the shorts.

I don’t have crews working weekends right now but when I do I make the people an offer. You can get an hour of OT or you can leave at the 8 hour mark and someone from first shift can come in an hour early for OT to cover you. They like it. It’s fair. When the clock jumps ahead I tell everyone that they must work 8 to get paid 8, but I usually just cut ‘em loose them adjust their time. 

I worked 3rd shift for 3 1/2 years. I hated every rass’n frass’n $&@#ing minute of it. I do not screw with people that work odd hours. Life’s hard enough without some Richard head manager messing with your life. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

But do you at least get paid for it?

Many years ago I was a security guard and I was working the midnight to eight shift. When I got my paycheck that week I was paid for 40 hours. I told them that Sunday I had worked nine hours because of the time change. They insisted that my shift started at midnight and ended at 8:00 a.m., which meant it was 8 hours.

I lost that argument.

Amazingly, several months later, when we did the time change again, and again I was working midnight, that week I only got 39 hours. They informed me that because of the time change Sunday I only worked seven hours.

When you are young and dumb, and working minimum wage, often your employer has you by the shorts.

At my former place of employment we were paid 8 hours during either time change.  Reasoning was that the plus and minus hour evened everything out.  It seemed like I always had to work the weekend with the extra hour and I was always off on the weekend where we worked a short shift.  :(

Angus

Way back when I was a Town Marshal my salary was based on forty hours and working 60 hours a week wasn't abnormal.  Then I changed careers and was the Plant Manager in a service industry, still salary based on 40 hours, working 45 hours a week was the norm.  What's this hour here and hour there y'all are talking about?  :D

The whole country needs to be on  Arizona time, we don't do daylight savings time. 

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I worked 3rd shift for 3 1/2 years. I hated every rass’n frass’n $&@#ing minute of it. I do not screw with people that work odd hours. Life’s hard enough without some Richard head manager messing with your life. 

I worked 3rd's for 18 1/2 years    Ain't affected me none :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Doc X said:

I worked 3rd's for 18 1/2 years    Ain't affected me none :rolleyes:

Well, as for me, I consider those 3 1/2 years as “lost years”. I felt like a vampire the whole time. Never got enough sleep and I pretty much was in a bad mood the whole time. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Need to establish the "National Time" to what is now Daylight Savings then leave it the heck alone  :ph34r:

I agree 100%

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, as for me, I consider those 3 1/2 years as “lost years”. I felt like a vampire the whole time. Never got enough sleep and I pretty much was in a bad mood the whole time. 

3rds is a weird shift. I found there really is no middle ground, either you can do it or you can't and I tried to be understanding of those that just couldn't adjust (yeah, 9 1/2 of those years I was plant manager). But at a certain age it seemed my body just said enough was enough and I had to go to days. 

ive never liked this change twice a year - it artificial [and obviously hurt folks along the way] never made sense and there has been many discussions of eliminating it but we did it again over night last night , 

Mama was a nurse & started working 3rd shift when I was born.  I've always had days/nights mixed up.

DST?  Time is a social construct anyway.  Pick one & be done with it.  Springing forward & falling back just confuses the cats.

Everyone should just use Zulu time and schedule activities accordingly.  In California we'd start work at 1200 instead of 8:00 am.  Or 1215... 1220... Scatter times and avoid "rush hour traffic!"  :)

Plus,  you'd never have to call someone in another state and ask "Hey, Pete!  What time is it there~?"  :rolleyes:

PD was ya work hour short in the spring, hour longer in the fall, it all works out. Now my shift for last 2 years was out of 19 days had 2 off. Worked 12 straight and a heck of a lot of overtime during those 12 days, sometimes 16-18 hour days.

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t have crews working weekends right now but when I do I make the people an offer. You can get an hour of OT or you can leave at the 8 hour mark and someone from first shift can come in an hour early for OT to cover you. They like it. It’s fair. When the clock jumps ahead I tell everyone that they must work 8 to get paid 8, but I usually just cut ‘em loose them adjust their time. 

I worked what my employer called “shift work” for about 10 yr . We had to rotate shifts every week. I did mids , aft ,days . The MAD shift it either made you mad or drove you mad  

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

PD was ya work hour short in the spring, hour longer in the fall, it all works out. Now my shift for last 2 years was out of 19 days had 2 off. Worked 12 straight and a heck of a lot of overtime during those 12 days, sometimes 16-18 hour days.

just been on 3rd for a month

I can work some really weird hours and occasionally work overnight but a constant 3rd shift for more than a week or two just kills me. It didn’t help that when I worked 3rd it was a high stress environment with no downtime. Factor that in with a lazy 2nd shift and a lazier 2nd shift supervisor and we ended up taking the mantle of making service on our rail system every day. 
We never had less than 100% roll out when I was in charge. 
Shortly after I went to days it became the norm to have one rollout missed daily. 
I guess I was the only one at that shop held accountable. 

Anyway, that was a long time ago. I vowed to never again work in a thankless job on third shift. Now I just work a thankless job. :lol:

So I’ve been up for an hour already and it’s only 4:45, I hate daylight savings time.

Job I used to have, we changed shift everyday. The guy in charge claimed that it was so nobody had to work midnight shift all the time .

So Monday you work 8-4, then Tuesday you did 4-12. Wednesday it was midnight to 8:00, which actually meant you got off at 8:00 Thursday morning. Then Thursday was, theoretically, your day off. But since you had worked all night the night before you slept all day Thursday, and Friday you went to work at 8:00 in the morning again.

This SUCKED MASSIVELY.

19 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You were insane before you started there? ;)

No, his mother had him tested... :D

Navy Comm Sta's worked a stupid rotating schedule.

Two 8 hr day shifts

Two 8 hr mid shifts

Two 8 hr eve shifts

80 hours off then repeat.

After I retired from the Navy I applied for a job with Raytheon working down under in Alice Springs.  Wife and I were stoked up until I found out that the job required me to work the above schedule. 

Needless to say I didn't take the job. I knew what working that schedule did to people and I valued my marriage too much to accept the job.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:39 AM, Buckshot Bob said:

At least you don’t have to do this 

my local news station apparently needs  to hire a proof reader 

2692BFFA-EEDB-4AE2-A7F9-5F40F077E9DD.jpeg

Midland Michigan. I remember that place.

Archived