SASS Wire Forum

Why do smartphones make one feel dumber?

Clay Mosby

East Coast Filly and I had had our phones for several years and they were beginning to have issues. One of which was the app that paired the phone with my hearing aids. Talking to the sudiologist she recommended Samsung, said they worked better with the app than Motorola.

So we headed done to verizon and after lookie-touchy and talking to the rep we decided to go all in and each picked out the new Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra. Pricey, but figure they'll work out for many years. We primarily use them for calls, emails, FB, occasional you tube videos. Don't do the gaming and streaming things.

But my God do these things make one, or at least Filly and I feel dumb trying to learn the new phones.

First, they change to look of the screens, the icons, dang near everything. 

Then they change what screensavers and wallpapers are available. WHY?

Then they change where things are and how to get to them. WHY?

Then they change how to search, download and install apps. WHY?

Why? Simply because they CAN! Dang their eyes. Not everyone is a nimble minded technophile eager to explore new and mysterious ways.

AArrgh!!  It's taken hours of frustration to get the phone set up so it's at least similar to the old one so I can at least find some of the apps I use most often.

Okay, Rant Off, Thanks for listening.

Bottles, On Me!!

I worked at Hughes Aircraft in the 80’s in an R&D department. I worked with brilliant people. Engineers, Physicists and a couple of Scientists. Computers were gaining a major foothold as design and engineering tools. The young engineers and physicists love putting what I call “Easter eggs” in every program they wrote. It was as if they were children that knew a secret. If one discovered their little secret and the secret was a delight to them or caused them to praise the other then that person became part of the original person’s clique that I called a “Giggle Club”. Once enough people learned “the secret” and liked it the secret became common knowledge and everyone used it. So, then they were off and running all trying to create new “Easter eggs” so they could massage their egos starting a new “Giggle Club”. I called the members of these “clubs” (cliques) “Giggly Boys”. 
In the Navy we called people like this “Twidgets”. Mostly it was the electronics types. They were called this for similar reasons above. Twidgets weren’t really Giggly Boys though, they were more mainstream, less college frat boy uh...stream. 
Funny thing is, the women that I worked with at Hughes did not like nor savvy the Giggle Boy traits. They didn’t derive immature entertainment from the self absorbed intellect and actions. I actually enjoyed working with the female engineers, scientists and physicists because there was no BS with them. 

That is the way with the Giggly Boys and Giggly Boys are alive and well in the world designing phones, electronics apps and things so that you can take joy in discovery through their ego massaging designs finding their Easter Eggs and becoming part of their Giggly Boy Club...:blink:

I got rid of android system years ago. And I don't see myself going back. Every time the phone did an update or upgrade...it changed everything around. My wife's phone was so messed up one time she had to go to the phone company store to get it straightened out. I have been much happier with the I-Phones. Never had issues after an update. Spendy...yes. But to me worth it.

1 minute ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I got rid of android system years ago. And I don't see myself going back. Every time the phone did an update or upgrade...it changed everything around. My wife's phone was so messed up one time she had to go to the phone company store to get it straightened out. I have been much happier with the I-Phones. Never had issues after an update. Spendy...yes. But to me worth it.

I did the same. Now with IOS 14, they are trying to make them like ‘droids. Grrrr :angry:

I haven’t updated to IOS 14. 

Dawg Hair:

I'm with you Pard.

Currently trying to get my Samsung flip phone to Blue Tooth pair with my Dodge Caravan (2019)

It works fine with the 2013 Dodge Caravan I gave to my son and the both have the same AM/FM/ Sat radio/CD etc but I can't get the phone to work in the new vehicle.

Frustrating.

If not too late, as a reluctant Apple fan might be worth going back.  Haven’t had a droid phone for nearly 10 years.  The integration with all Apple products is so well done, it’s generally quite easily and intuitive, and they don’t freeze up.  My kids picked up IPads so easy when they were young.

my wife’s parents have android phones...they can barely make calls, it’s an act of god for them to send a text message with a pic...they end up just emailing them for some reason.

i resisted Apple a while, but now own many devices and am afraid our family is hooked on their systems...but aside from price in a good way.   

i was happy with my flip phone , all around me were not , i broke down in june and bought a smart one and imeadiately found im dumb , ive had some help and can make calls , text , take a photo , got a long way to go , 

I was perfectly happy with my flip phone, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo when Jack B Nimble & Jill Be Quick get new ones we get their old ones.  I'm ok on the phone functions but not so good with everything else.  A young cashier recently explained it to me -- this is not for your generation.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:55 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Dawg Hair:

I'm with you Pard.

Currently trying to get my Samsung flip phone to Blue Tooth pair with my Dodge Caravan (2019)

It works fine with the 2013 Dodge Caravan I gave to my son and the both have the same AM/FM/ Sat radio/CD etc but I can't get the phone to work in the new vehicle.

Frustrating.

I have, in this order, a 19 year old, an 18 year old, a 15 year old and a 14 year old grandkids.  Anytime I encounter a problem like the one you describe I recruit any one of them for assistance.  Usually it takes any of them no more than, say, one minute to resolve the issue and very patiently explain it to me (along with a reason as to why  I  I am  just incapable of understanding such a simple task).  

The same happens with understanding how to use the operating controls of my new Teutonic Speed Demon, my 2021 BMW M240I without crashing it into the nearest tree.  (PS, no lie, my youngest had to point out to me the button I had to press to unlock the passenger door so she could get it!)

It amuses me to imagine what it will be like 50, 60 or 70 years from now when my grandkids will have to recruit their grandkids for assistance with the technology of that time.  Hopefully I'll be laughing my butt off in my grave.

On 11/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did the same. Now with IOS 14, they are trying to make them like ‘droids. Grrrr :angry:

I haven’t updated to IOS 14. 

I haven't noticed much difference between iOS 12-14 aside from the fact that each new version drains my battery faster than the one before.

"a phone is only as smart as it's user"

This was a sign outside a phone retail/repair shop locally; ...

.............they had to take it down before lunch time the first day because of multiple complaints from the public :blink:

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I haven't noticed much difference between iOS 12-14 aside from the fact that each new version drains my battery faster than the one before.

You have updated to iOS 14? How do you like it?...other than the battery issue. 

I have a TracFone.
No internet, no text.

The sales guy asked me, "What are you gonna do with that?"
I replied, "Talk on it."
He said, "Why do you wanna do that?"

I keep it with me in case the truck, the Harley or I break down somewhere.
Other than charge it and pay for it, I haven't used it much at all.

"......A young cashier recently explained it to me -- this is not for your generation........." 

i would not disagree as long as they could make p-roper change in their head 

On 11/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Dawg Hair:

I'm with you Pard.

Frustrating.

I got my Samsung to connect with the Subaru bit it won’t sync my phone book. I finally gave up.

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

"......A young cashier recently explained it to me -- this is not for your generation........." 

i would not disagree as long as they could make p-roper change in their head 

If you have to do it in your head, you're not doing it right either.

If you can count money, you can count back change.

Just count money- no addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, physics or geometry required.  Start with the amount owed, count to the denomination of bill the customer gave you.  Start with the pennies to get to the closest .05 or .10. 

$3.21 out of a $5? 

Grab 4 pennies (.21, .22, .23, .24., .25). That gets you to the nearest quarter.  3 quarters gets you to the next dollar (4 dollars in this case),  A single makes $5.

You don't need to know that it's $1.79, you just need to know that it's right.

The only device that I have that is old enough to run ACES is my iPad.  After our match I use my iPad and ACES to sync with the RO's iPad to get the match scores.  Using my iPhone as a hot spot I emailed the scores to myself and using my laptop I access the Internet to retrieve the email to get the scores.  Still using my laptop and "FileZilla" I push the scores to the Club's web site.  Check the Club's website to confirm the scores got posted.  Then using my iPhone I post on the Club's Facebook group that the scores are posted.  This is done so when the cowpokes get home from the match the scores are posted and waiting for them!  Ain't technology great!

Howdy,

I tried the ifone.  After six months I grew to hate it.

So I went to target and bought a samsung android fone.

It was just so much easier to use and the consumer cellular folks

make system changes fairly slowly.

The one thing was they couldnt load names and numbers from the ifone

to the new one.  So each day I keyed in some numbers and pretty soon it was done.

I think there are folks who just get along better with one or the other.

The biggest thing was speaking into the fone and creating text messages.

I do have to proof read as some very different words sound alike.

The other thing was taking a picture and sending it in a few seconds...wonderful.

I do have to turn off apps.  they can burn thru battery charge.

I used flip fones way too long. But I did like that razor a LOT.

Best

CR

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I haven't noticed anything that different from the older OS's. But then again I only use my phone for calls, text and pictures, so I haven't dived into it deep enough to see what else may have changed.

20 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I haven't noticed anything that different from the older OS's. But then again I only use my phone for calls, text and pictures, so I haven't dived into it deep enough to see what else may have changed.

Thank you

17 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

If you have to do it in your head, you're not doing it right either.

If you can count money, you can count back change.

Just count money- no addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, physics or geometry required.  Start with the amount owed, count to the denomination of bill the customer gave you.  Start with the pennies to get to the closest .05 or .10. 

$3.21 out of a $5? 

Grab 4 pennies (.21, .22, .23, .24., .25). That gets you to the nearest quarter.  3 quarters gets you to the next dollar (4 dollars in this case),  A single makes $5.

You don't need to know that it's $1.79, you just need to know that it's right.

exactly what i was getting at - count it back , but you gotta be able to see it in your head to do it , how often have you seen it done lately ? 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

exactly what i was getting at - count it back , but you gotta be able to see it in your head to do it , how often have you seen it done lately ? 

As I walked into a Subway I read the hand lettered note on the door.  "Cash only.  CC is down".  OK, no problem I thought.  Then I learned their cash registered was connected to the Credit Card reader.  Cash register was down so they couldn't accept customers credit cards.  OK, no problem I thought wrong.  The two young girls were trying to figure out how to use a electronic calculator to total up my bill.  My sandwich was $4.99, I rounded it up to $5.00, move the decimal over two places gave me 5.  5 times 7% sale tax equals 35 cents.  $5 plus 35 cents equals $5.35 and subtract the 1 cent I had rounded up, $5.34.  The young ladies just stared  and me for awhile when I told them what I owed before going back trying to figure out how to use their calculator.  After coming up with several different totals on the their calculator they decided to use the figure I had given them.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:00 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did the update.

Battery on my phone sucked before the update, really need to replace it. Maybe a new phone even (I have a 6s).

So, running 14.1. The thumbprint reader seems sluggish, but only once got frustrated enough to key in my code.

Dismissed several requests to learn some new feature. I don't want to pin messages at this time, I like newest on top. I don't want to reorganize my screens or my apps. There were a couple other things I did not want to do. Dismiss. Dismiss, Dismiss.

Found a new feature earlier today, can now search for emojis by typing in a field. That field was not there before the update, and I was trying to send a text. Only I noticed the first word was not capitalized (yes, I am a grammar nazi). As I attempted to fix it, noticed I was typing in this new emoji search field. BTW, have you found the middle-finger emoji? Hey Siri, I've got something new just for you! :lol:

I do like the iPhone far more than a 'droid. The last couple days had some annoyances but they have been manageable annoyances.

I got in the car today and the phone book from my phone had finally downloaded. Only took a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I did the update.

Battery on my phone sucked before the update, really need to replace it. Maybe a new phone even (I have a 6s).

So, running 14.1. The thumbprint reader seems sluggish, but only once got frustrated enough to key in my code.

Dismissed several requests to learn some new feature. I don't want to pin messages at this time, I like newest on top. I don't want to reorganize my screens or my apps. There were a couple other things I did not want to do. Dismiss. Dismiss, Dismiss.

Found a new feature earlier today, can now search for emojis by typing in a field. That field was not there before the update, and I was trying to send a text. Only I noticed the first word was not capitalized (yes, I am a grammar nazi). As I attempted to fix it, noticed I was typing in this new emoji search field. BTW, have you found the middle-finger emoji? Hey Siri, I've got something new just for you! :lol:

I do like the iPhone far more than a 'droid. The last couple days had some annoyances but they have been manageable annoyances.

Thank you. 

I think I will go ahead with it and see. 

Archived