SASS Wire Forum

650 case insertion into shell plate issue

Grizzly Dave

well that was interesting, every now and then, a case doesn't go all the way into the shell plate, just now, it started to be every case. so I stopped and took a good look. the feed ramp for lack of a better term, sits over the passage for the spent primers, and that was clogged with a couple dozen primers

Can also be caused in a 550 by the 2 tiny allen-socket screws that fasten that shell ramp to the frame coming loose and the ramp lip raising up.   Keep those hard to find and hard to access screws tight (think loctite!).

Good luck, GJ

Tighten the shell plate Allen bolt.

Clean the case guide at teh case drop.

And most important, take a screw driver and run it around the case rim grooves in the shell plate.

Most likely you will find case lube wax build up or tumbler media stuck in the groove.

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:
well that was interesting, every now and then, a case doesn't go all the way into the shell plate, just now, it started to be every case. so I stopped and took a good look. the feed ramp for lack of a better term, sits over the passage for the spent primers, and that was clogged with a couple dozen primers

I had the same issue recently and I found a spider carcass down in the empty primer chute. There were about 30 used primers piled up on top of it and they lifted the casing slide enough to cause the cases to not enter the shell plate. A few months ago a dead spider in a powder dispenser caused a flow problem.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I had the same issue recently and I found a spider carcass down in the empty primer chute. There were about 30 used primers piled up on top of it and they lifted the casing slide enough to cause the cases to not enter the shell plate. A few months ago a dead spider in a powder dispenser caused a flow problem.

Do you live next door to Little Miss Muffet?  

I had the same issue and found that the spring in the "case insert Slide" (that black angled thing) had broken.  Installed a new spring and it works fine.  You might check that spring.

Archived