SASS Wire Forum

Woodpecker Nightmare

I live in a Deck House - post & Beam contemporary with lots of floor-to-ceiling glass.   We've had trouble off and on with birds, who apparently look straight through the house, don't see the glass,and crash into the windows.  Somethimes just knocked out briefly, sometimes dead of a broken neck.

This year, I'm dealing with a forlorn woodpecker.  Seems to be lost.  Fltters endlessly against the windows, moving around the entire perimeter of the house.  Never moves away more than a few inches then raps his head and/or beak into the glass; repeat; repeat; repeat ad nauseum.

Has the same issue a few years ago with a robin, but only involving one window.  Tried plastic owls, suspended CDs, and, eventually, nettting (DO NOT USE NETTING, unless you enjoy removing dead birds entagled in netting, or looking at dead birds suspended outside your bedroom).

Any insights into bird behavior?  I'm getting downright tired of Woody......

I used the Mylar strips that they use in orchards and groves to keep woodpeckers away from  my house. It works well.

12Ga.  Keep it next to yer Sofa.  Next time that PITA sucker starts bumping the window, blow it to smithereens.  Then replace the now "open" window.  Simple.

Snicker Snicker Snicker

14 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

12Ga.  Keep it next to yer Sofa.  Next time that PITA sucker starts bumping the window, blow it to smithereens.  Then replace the now "open" window.  Simple.

Snicker Snicker Snicker

Protected species, as are ALL native birds!!  Large fines and jail time are possible.

He is probably seeing his reflection in the glass, and trying to drive the "intruder" out of his territory.

Somewhat unusual at this time of year though.

Have a read here for ideas:

https://www.thespruce.com/stop-birds-attacking-windows-386449

Soaping the windows might be a good experiment, and maybe the bird will forget his "challenger" and move on. Then clean up the windows in a week or two.

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Snicker Snicker Snicker

Such an overreaction there, CC.  

28 gauge max should do it for a woodpecker. 

Seamus

I had a MAJOR problem with 'peckers the last place I lived.  Heck, one morning I was awakened by EIGHT of the boogers pounding away on the eaves.

I patched a lot of holes... eventually I had a good portion of the parts they liked covered with sheet metal.  They finally decided they didn't like that.

I unintentionally took one out with Sassparilla Kid's Daisy Red Ryder.  Evidently he'd gotten locked in the garage (the woodpecker, not the Kid)... I walked in one day carrying the kid's BB gun and suddenly he - the woodpecker - flew right at my face!  I yelped and instinctively swung that li'l gun and Louisville Slugger'd his rotten carcass.  I didn't see where he went, and actually thought he'd gotten pi$$ed and flew away.  But I found him a few months later behind some boxes...  :(

'Twas self defense!  :ph34r:

I had a robin do that on one of our windows that had a tree just outside of it.  He went after it so hard he bloodied himself.  All we could figure out was that there was a next in the tree and he could see his reflection and tried to chase away the "intruder".  Had woodpeckers start to drill holes in the wood trim of the house.  It is cedar so the only thing I can figure is that there were bugs under the boards he was after.  I filled holes, put up wire mesh to keep them away.  It works fairly well.  One still comes back once in a while and pecks at the vinyl siding.  Stupid birds.

Howdy,

My place has a big picture window in front and another in back.

Birds can see directly thru and think they can fly thru.

I just keep the curtains closed most of the summer during daytime.

This also cuts down on ac cost, probably....

Birds still try to fly thru sometimes. I found out some are trying to escape

from predators.

I put out a suet block to feed woodpeckers.  They seem to leave the house

alone, at least for now.

So, yes, Im suggesting feeding the birds. It might distract them from the house.

If you give it a try and it doesnt work you arent out much.

Simple feeders are pretty inexpensive.

Sometimes I see very pretty birds migrating too.

Best

CR

Indigo buntings came by a couple years ago.

I put suet blocks out here as well. Get small wood pecker's, Downies and Hairy's, plus a medium size one( Red Belly). A few nut hatch's as well. Nice to see as long as the raccoons leave them alone. Have had coons actually take the suet cages away:rolleyes::blink::blush:

7 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

I put suet blocks out here as well. Get small wood pecker's, Downies and Hairy's, plus a medium size one( Red Belly). A few nut hatch's as well. Nice to see as long as the raccoons leave them alone. Have had coons actually take the suet cages away:rolleyes::blink::blush:

We get the same birds. That is very interesting. We had problems with squirrels eating the suet. They would stay until it was all gone. Now I buy suet with pepper in it. The birds don’t mind. Some people say they can’t taste the pepper. The squirrels don’t like the pepper and leave the suet alone. BUT they quickly detect suet without pepper and return. Anyway try the pepper suet for the Raccoons.

CJ 

I solved the stealing by using spring clips u-nailed to the post. Cages are suspended by wire loops, just clip the loop. Ole bandit can't make off with it. They still manage to get the cake to bust up even with the cages wired shut.:rolleyes::blink::blush:

Archived