SASS Wire Forum

RIp Sean Connery

Sedalia Dave

I have an alibi.

I know what i'll be drinking tonight. RIP to a screen legend.

More sad news. I don't even know where to begin. One of my favorites. He was of Mrs. Doc's clan through his mother's line, and when wearing a kilt, it was more often than not the MacLean Hunting tartan. He wore one when he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.

And of course, he was also "Bond, James Bond."

3 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

My favorite James Bond, the rest are wannabes.

I wouldn't call them wannabes. Well, the less said about George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton the better. Clearly, Sean Connery was the best, the one against whom all others must be compared. He struck the balance between being suave and ruthless better than anyone. You could believe he not only had a license to kill, but the ability to use it. His fight against Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love is even well known among people who enjoy martial arts movies. The fact that he was an amateur competitive bodybuilder didn't hurt things. Of those who have followed, Daniel Craig comes the closest in my mind to following in that mold. But Connery couldn't play the role forever, sadly. He will be missed.

"I was trained by the best....British Intelligence

But in retrospect I would have rather been a poet. Or a farmer."

One of my favorite all time Sean Connery movie lines. RIP , Sir

heard this on the morning news , 90 - i did not realize , he was my favorite 007 and in most everything else i ever saw he did - had not seen that western with bridget bardot - not a big fan of hers but always thought she was beautifil , always a big fan of his , 

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sean Connery western Shalako with Bridgette Barrot.

Well it wasn’t as bad as Zardoz.

My late wife's last words to me were "I'm watching my favorite James Bond." I looked at the TV screen and informed her that wasn't James Bond, that was a Ruskie Naval Captain. Perhaps they are sharing a drink tonight...

22 hours ago, DocWard said:

I wouldn't call them wannabes. Well, the less said about George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton the better. Clearly, Sean Connery was the best, the one against whom all others must be compared. He struck the balance between being suave and ruthless better than anyone. You could believe he not only had a license to kill, but the ability to use it. His fight against Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love is even well known among people who enjoy martial arts movies. The fact that he was an amateur competitive bodybuilder didn't hurt things. Of those who have followed, Daniel Craig comes the closest in my mind to following in that mold. But Connery couldn't play the role forever, sadly. He will be missed.

Something about Daniel Craig's take on the role that I can't/couldn't get into.  Too violent and not enough style.  Connery had look, and presentation.  I could see him playing golf with Goldfinger, but not Craig.

5 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Something about Daniel Craig's take on the role that I can't/couldn't get into.  Too violent and not enough style.  Connery had look, and presentation.  I could see him playing golf with Goldfinger, but not Craig.

I think the violence comes from the era. I agree though that Connery had something, call it presence or the complete package, that the rest seem to lack in one area or another.

As the old proverb goes, "comparisons are odious", but it takes nothing from Sean Connery, who was unparalleled, to conclude Craig is perhaps the only really worthy successor, a point that Connery himself agreed with. 

Sean Connery's Bond was perfectly of his time, a time that many of us happily remember, and Craig is of our time, for better or worse. As Pierce Brosnan pointed out in an interview clip I saw recently, the Bourne movies and some others "upped the game", and called for the Bond franchise to meet the challenge, and Brosnan was not going to be that guy. Daniel Craig filled the bill.

Archived