SASS Wire Forum

My Yahoo Account was Hacked!

Pat Riot

Apparently on Monday someone in Nigeria at IP address 197.210.54.254 at a company called MTN Nigeria attempted, per Yahoo, to access my account. Yahoo sent emails to my other 2 email accounts to alert me but I rarely look at them. Yesterday I noticed that I have no email since Weds. and I get a couple of emails on a daily basis from news feeds and that is what I noticed first. I sent myself some test emails and they didn’t appear so I contacted Yahoo. Apparently the Nigerian attempt was successful. Crafty bastages! I always use numbers, symbols, lower and upper case letters in all my passwords. 
Yahoo will help me for a small fee of $4.99 per month. Crafty bastages! :rolleyes:

I may relent and pay the money. I have used that account for so long, 23 years, that everything I do online is tied to that account. 

Bummer!

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I always use numbers, symbols, lower and upper case letters in all my passwords. 

Many sites require some number of capital, lower case, numbers, and symbols. But consider this:

password_strength.png

Well, It took me an hour and a half on the phone but now it's fixed. All is well.

The hackers came in through another person's account that I no longer associate with. Funny thing is, that same person's account was hacked in 2016 and I got a virus from them. Their address is now deleted from my accounts.

I highly recommend that you all review your contacts lists and remove old addresses and unfamiliar addresses as well. One of the addresses the tech found that had some questionable activity on was an address for a person that I bought a house from over 5 years ago. It appeared that there had been some shenanigans with that address as well. 

i only have one email account but this is the second time in a couple months that ive thought to have a backup , what a PITA - lets just satart hanging these hackers as horse theives 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

i only have one email account but this is the second time in a couple months that ive thought to have a backup , what a PITA - lets just satart hanging these hackers as horse theives 

You really should have a backup. If I wouldn’t have had the backup I really wouldn’t have known exactly what happened to my account. I have another account listed as a way for Yahoo to contact me if there’s a problem. Trouble is I only look at the other email accounts on occasion. Something seemed fishy with my Yahoo account so I looked at my Gmail and iCloud accounts. 

I agree on the hackers, I wonder if hacking on hackers would be more appropriate. Perhaps with a machete? Yes, I am pretty sick of the problems hackers cause me and have caused me over the years. They are scum. 

Me too. A Nigerian hacked and forwarded my mailmto someonein Houston, TX.

It's fixed now.

PITA

On 11/1/2020 at 12:17 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You really should have a backup. If I wouldn’t have had the backup I really wouldn’t have known exactly what happened to my account. I have another account listed as a way for Yahoo to contact me if there’s a problem. Trouble is I only look at the other email accounts on occasion. Something seemed fishy with my Yahoo account so I looked at my Gmail and iCloud accounts. 

I agree on the hackers, I wonder if hacking on hackers would be more appropriate. Perhaps with a machete? Yes, I am pretty sick of the problems hackers cause me and have caused me over the years. They are scum. 

i am going to set one up - i did have a Gmail once a long time ago but it got hacked , ill get a backup in place - you are right and i have been asked before , not that big a deal to do it after all , thanks for posting this , 

Archived