SASS Wire Forum

I wonder what she would have done

Alpo

This just crawled up out of c memory. 35 or so years ago.

I had been living with this woman for about five months. Her kid called me Daddy. My girlfriend had a terrible fear that her ex-husband was going to come steal the child - not so much because he wanted the child but because he knew that would piss her off.

We go down to the school to pick the girl up. She's in kindergarten. My girlfriend tells me to go in and get her. I tell her that they will not let me have her. "Oh sure they will".

So I go to the room and the teacher asked if she can help, and I tell her that I'm here for Terri. She asked Terri if she knows who I am, and Terri yells out THAT'S MY DADDY.

The teacher informs me that she has been told not to let Terri's daddy have her, and that I need to leave. I went outside and got my girlfriend and told her this and we both went in where she introduced me to the teacher. Which is what she should have done in the first place.

I'm just thinking about this for some reason and I wondered what the teacher would have done if I had in fact been the non-custodial parent that was not supposed to have contact with the child, and I walked into the room to get my kid anyhow.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This just crawled up out of c memory. 35 or so years ago.

I had been living with this woman for about five months. Her kid called me Daddy. My girlfriend had a terrible fear that her ex-husband was going to come steal the child - not so much because he wanted the child but because he knew that would piss her off.

We go down to the school to pick the girl up. She's in kindergarten. My girlfriend tells me to go in and get her. I tell her that they will not let me have her. "Oh sure they will".

So I go to the room and the teacher asked if she can help, and I tell her that I'm here for Terri. She asked Terri if she knows who I am, and Terri yells out THAT'S MY DADDY.

The teacher informs me that she has been told not to let Terri's daddy have her, and that I need to leave. I went outside and got my girlfriend and told her this and we both went in where she introduced me to the teacher. Which is what she should have done in the first place.

I'm just thinking about this for some reason and I wondered what the teacher would have done if I had in fact been the non-custodial parent that was not supposed to have contact with the child, and I walked into the room to get my kid anyhow.

I used to teach, 14 years. If you were the non-custodial parent and I had been instructed to not let you have her, then I wouldn't have let you have her.  Your choice would be leave without her or be carried out on a stretcher.

I took loco parentis pretty seriously.  Don't mess with 'my' kids.

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The obvious fallback is that she'll call the police if she is physically unable to prevent it.  My question is, would the police be called regardless of whether the non custodial parent was successful? 

The high school where I taught had a full time SRO (School Resource Officer = cop) on campus. At times we had as many as three full time SROs (it was a tough school). Hit the panic button and you get backup pretty quick. We also had three security officers and all male coaches were responsible for providing additional backup. While I was there I was assaulted three times, maced accidentally by an SRO, and had to take students to the ground more times than I remember. A non-custodial parent issue never happened, but if it had he would have been swarmed.

back when my wife and i met picking up the kids required an introduction to those in charge and with the custodial their to sign off , i used to pick them up a lot , today i doubt you could get close enough to the classroom without being checked in to have what you had occur , at least i hope not , 

there are a lot of missing kids out there taken by non-custodials , 

My mom was a nurse. At 30, she would have taken you out, at 50, she still would taken you out, she is 80 now, and she would still take you.

The high school football / wrestling coach came in to the emergency room one weekend, he had wiped out on a gravel road and had road rash with gravel in it.

He started complaining about the last time he was in there, the nurse gave him a shot and it hurt like H*LL. My mom looked and him and said " I treated you last time you were in here, and if you don't shut-up, I will file the needle off flat before I give you a shot this time. he kinda hesitated, and made a comment about wiping out and getting hurt on his motorcycle and she looked at him and told he got what he desired for riding one of those stupid things.

Of course, we heard the story over supper as usual as she would tell us about who came in the emergency room and the stupid things they did to get hurt.

On Monday afternoon, my brother went to wrestling practice and the coach was complaining about his hospital trip and my brother told him that mom had told us about it.  he looked at him and commented, "No wonder your so tough, she scrubbed my but with a Brillo pad and then told i should not have been riding a motorcycle in a pair of gym shorts."

I still laugh when I think of this story.

Needless to say, I will never own a motorcycle, although I have a ATC-90 three-wheeler that was much safer than a motorcycle and she approved it for us kids to ride. i only drove it up a tree one time (stuck in gear).

"....Nothing is scarier than a woman in a habit,..."   i will agree with that - although there was some question of gender in some of the nuns in my past - i think they played football for notre dame , 

Archived