SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Shooters -- Anyone use the Cimarron Lightning in .41 Colt?

Cholla

I have been toying with the idea of using the Cimarron Lightning in .41 Colt for CC. I hate to invest that much money to find out I don't like them. I already have Ruger Bisleys.

I like how the look and I have medium-smaller hands. Yes, I know I would need to reload but I do that already. They are supposed to be close to  a real M1877. I even compared my M1877 to one at Winter Range.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/lightning-41-colt-4-3-4-in.html

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Keep in mind that cartridge is heel-based so more involved to reload.  Also, Lightnings don't play well with BP if that matters to you.  Other than that, agree with Major Art Tillery!

Watab Kid, you probably had a Thunderer;  Lightning is smaller frame, .22 / .32 / .38 / .41 only.

1 minute ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Lightning’s are double action.

Illegal for use in SASS competition.

The Uberti (the one with the wood grips) is single action.  Cholla just pictured it with an original Lightning to show the similar size.

4 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Do it!  Other then that I got nothing.:lol:

They do look slick!

This! Variety is the spice of Classic Cowboy life! :D 

Of course the real one's were double action. I had a couple of them. They were very fragile and wouldn't hold up to even one cowboy match IMO. The 41 colt is a real bitch to load, and you would need to cast your own healed bullets. JMO. 

I have two modern versions of Lightnings in.38 S&W Special. They are low recoil, comfortable single action revolvers. I use them to loan to newbies.

I own two original .41 Long Colt Thunderers.They are double action revolvers. L occasionally shoot them at local matches as a joke. They are a little less than reliable. :mellow:

They don't care for holy black.

The Cimarron Lightning is chambered for .41 Colt. According to what I have read in 1890 they changed the .41 Colt to a non-heeled bullet. From what I have seen reloaders recommend a hollow-base bullet of soft lead so that it flares to fill the rifling.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:20 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Keep in mind that cartridge is heel-based so more involved to reload.  Also, Lightnings don't play well with BP if that matters to you.  Other than that, agree with Major Art Tillery!

Watab Kid, you probably had a Thunderer;  Lightning is smaller frame, .22 / .32 / .38 / .41 only.

just looked at the boxes for my 22s - they are lightenings and single action only , still have them and enjoy them , 

no longer have my pair of 45s or the boxes as they went together but they were single action only , ill accept that they were thunderers , felt the same and i guess i didnt realize they were calling them something different , but then im old and miss a lot these days - i was shooting birdshead grip revolvers tho ,,,,

Archived