SASS Wire Forum

Winter is Coming

I wrote this a few years ago, in response to looking out my office window at a late fall shower starting on a college campus...

"It's got dark outside. Wind is blowing leaves and debris. Something that looks like liquid is falling from above, and running down the sidewalk outside my office. People are running with strange, slick looking clothes on, and weird devices that look like frail mushrooms made of cloth and steel. The liquid must hurt...they are all hurrying.
The end must be near..."

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

It was bumping 80 yesterday.  High is forecast to be around 65 today.

I hate you.

(And I'm jealous.)

J-Bar, you're closer than you think ...

The Norse version, Hel, is an eternal torment of bone freezing COLD, and the sensation of ice crystals growing in your marrow is said to be truly agonizing!

44 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

J-Bar, you're closer than you think ...

The Norse version, Hel, is an eternal torment of bone freezing COLD, and the sensation of ice crystals growing in your marrow is said to be truly agonizing!

That's gout!

LL

9 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I hate you.

(And I'm jealous.)

I live so far South that the hurricane that came through the other day passed north of me.:P

As for snow storms, we Southerners have dealing with them down pat ....

snowed in.jpg

... because we know that in 2 or 3 days it will be back to the low 60's and threatening rain again.

My time of year!!  For the next few months, I’lI get to shut down the A/C and the electric bill goes down! 

I don’t have to listen to the damned lawn mower run!!

Best of all, my armpits stay dry and my Right Guard doesn’t take a left turn!! :lol:

i hear all of you - im not looking forward to winter , it gets harder every year , daylight time sets in tomorrow night and that always leaves me cold as well , 

the A/C has been off for a couple months the heat on for a couple weeks , we had snow & ice on the ground for the last week [early this year] but are expecting a good week if weatherman is right , the yard never got cleared of leaves and probably wont again this year , ive not started the snowblower yet and not looking forward to it either , this state taxes my social security and im near ready to leave - just need to decide where to go , 

6 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

No snow here, but, the temp was 31 when I checked the weather program on start up.

Loophole, your title sounded like an advert for the final season of Game Of Thrones!:rolleyes::lol::blush:

18 degrees here this AM; I'm shopping for a dire wolf robe........

Loophole Lannister

Dropping below freezing here now most nights, frost on the roofs and cars parked outside.

Today, I put away the mower, dragged out the  snow-blower, changed it's oil and got the ice-melt ready for the freezing rain I'm sure will be here soon.

No snow birding for us this year, so we get to enjoy the entire winter's worth of cold, snow and ice.

We had winter last week, ice storm. Pushed 80 yesterday, pushing 70 today, supposed to be spring all this week. Welcome to Texas. A few years ago in the spring it was 93 or 94 one day, got up the next morning to an ice storm.

JHC :wacko:

Got our first snow Friday and it was 15 deg. yesterday morn. Even the deer weren't out! But then they never seem to be when I have orange on!!

Not that the WX forecasters are particularly consistent in their predictions for the Front Range of Colorado, but the morning paper says the first part of November will be moderately warm and dry, but after mid-month, look out!  Well, we sure could use the moisture.  Maybe get the fires under control in the foothills and mountains!

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

We had winter last week, ice storm. Pushed 80 yesterday, pushing 70 today, supposed to be spring all this week. Welcome to Texas. A few years ago in the spring it was 93 or 94 one day, got up the next morning to an ice storm.

JHC :wacko:

We had 80 degree temps, tornadoes, hail, freezing temperatures and snow- in that order- all in 8 days several years ago.:huh:

All that was missing was the plague of locusts and the river turning to blood.

If you don't like the weather, just wait 20 minutes and it'll change.

Frost on the shed roof yesterday, been getting steadily colder all day.

Wife has a sinus infection, she's alternating between freezing and roasting.

I'd best get outside and pick up the windshield wipers from the Jeep's windshield so they don't freeze down ... oh yes, and roll down the windows and generously spray silicone lubricant on the window channels so they don't ice weld shut, and spray the door gaskets for the same reason!

Mid to high 70's all this week here in Prescott Valley beautiful autumn weather up here in the high desert. :D

On 10/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

The Norse version, Hel, is an eternal torment of bone freezing COLD,

not to mention Dante.

On 10/31/2020 at 5:57 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

First snow of the year - a bit over 4".

IMG_1216.jpg

Seriously, 4 inches. Wow, we had 14 inches last Sunday and sub zero temps. Labor Day evening we had 4 inches.

We are also at 6600 feet. I can't take the heat, absolutely hate anything over 80 degrees. 50's are fine with me.

Today it was nearly 60 and good working weather, warm for Nov. 1st.

We track your winter by the post topics.

Just like the Capistrano Swallows we know when we see the first Total Time V's Points post its Winter and you have finished reloading for the day.

If I recall rightly your Winter started about two weeks ago:P

On 10/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

snowed in.jpg

Every winter here is the same. It'll snow overnight and leave us with about 6 inches of snow. I'll get in my Jeep and drive the 50 miles to work. Then once I'm there I'll find I'm the only one in the office because all the dweebs who live just a few miles away called in saying they can't make it. Even the ones with all-wheel drive SUVs! :huh:

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Every winter here is the same. It'll snow overnight and leave us with about 6 inches of snow. I'll get in my Jeep and drive the 50 miles to work. Then once I'm there I'll find I'm the only one in the office because all the dweebs who live just a few miles away called in saying they can't make it. Even the ones with all-wheel drive SUVs! :huh:

You don't get it.

Snow falling- much less sticking- is grounds for staying home around here. 

We don't have the infrastructure, the roads aren't designed for it and the people have no idea what to do in the first place since they only see snow for a day or two every few years.

Snow tires?  Most folks don't even know that they exist. 

Snow chains?  I shudder at the idea of putting most folks around here in a chained up vehicle.  They would take it as a license to drive just like they do the other 363 days a year.

Better to stay at home and not end up being the innocent bystander for the guy in the jacked up Jeep that's sliding sideways through the stop sign (as I witnessed happen- from the sidewalk and behind a big oak tree- during the Blizzard of '93).

Archived