SASS Wire Forum

Martial arts question

Dirty Dan Dawkins

In the Karate Kid, Mr Myagi referencing the crane technique, “If do right, no can defend.” Daniel executed this move to great effect in winning the All Valley Championship.

Assuming what Nr Myagi said to be true, how did Daniel fail to execute the crane technique in Karate Kid II?

Speed, power, accuracy, timing?

I just think they knew about the crane technique in Okinawa and Mr Myagi’s training methods were behind their time.

Would the crane technique have worked on Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris in their prime?

If do right, no can defend - Daniel-San mind not right - no did execute correctly.

When he was in his prime Mr Miyagi was asked if he was a fan of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris movies; Mr Miyagi's humble answer was, "Who are they?"

2 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

If do right, no can defend - Daniel-San mind not right - no did execute correctly.

When he was in his prime Mr Miyagi was asked if he was a fan of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris movies; Mr Miyagi's humble answer was, "Who are they?"

Sort of like this one?

Chesty-OG1-700x700.jpg

In the time it took Daniel-san to get into the crane pose, Chuck or Bruce, either one, would have hit him about 25 times.

I don't think it would have worked against those two.

during that same period, Bruce would have been cracking his neckand doing his obligatory pre-ass kicking footwork  - Chuck would have been busy flexing his pecs - Daniel San had pleeeenty of time

I look at it this way:

First, at the tournament in the original The Karate Kid, Daniel performed the technique, which he had never really tried before, "good enough" against an unsuspecting opponent from a different art. The moves from the "Cobra Kai" art are pretty much Tang Soo Do, a Korean art, or at least a Hollywood stylized version. Mr. Miyagi teaches Daniel a version of Goju Ryu, or, again, a stylized version.

Second, in Okinawa in The Karate Kid II, when facing an accomplished stylist fighting in the same art, Daniel didn't perform the technique well enough to overcome the opponent. Goju Ryu would have been the same art his opponent was trained in.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I look at it this way:

First, at the tournament in the original The Karate Kid, Daniel performed the technique, which he had never really tried before, "good enough" against an unsuspecting opponent from a different art. The moves from the "Cobra Kai" art are pretty much Tang Soo Do, a Korean art, or at least a Hollywood stylized version. Mr. Miyagi teaches Daniel a version of Goju Ryu, or, again, a stylized version.

Second, in Okinawa in The Karate Kid II, when facing an accomplished stylist fighting in the same art, Daniel didn't perform the technique well enough to overcome the opponent. Goju Ryu would have been the same art his opponent was trained in.

So I guess paddle drum technique not part of Goju Ryu? Cause he totally caught his opponent off guard with that. He ultimately whipped the boys ass by simply throwing left and right hooks.

33 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

So I guess paddle drum technique not part of Goju Ryu? Cause he totally caught his opponent off guard with that. He ultimately whipped the boys ass by simply throwing left and right hooks.

A good point. Not being a Goju Ryu stylist, I can't say, and I can't remember the storyline well enough to remember Mr. Miyagi telling him about it. I do recall Sato spinning s drum toy though. But remember one word that explains the unexplainable, "Hollywood."

I think Daniel picked up that drum technique from that cutie pie he was about to violate before the typhoon hit.
So,  based on Karate Kid II, it could be concluded that any run of the mill street thug throwing haymakers could win a fight in Okinawa, provided a throng of adoring fans sat in readiness spinning those drums, creating a steady harmonized background rhythm.

30 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I think Daniel picked up that drum technique from that cutie pie he was about to violate before the typhoon hit.
So,  based on Karate Kid II, it could be concluded that any run of the mill street thug throwing haymakers could win a fight in Okinawa, provided a throng of adoring fans sat in readiness spinning those drums, creating a steady harmonized background rhythm.

LOL... Well, theme music is always key. However, you have to remember, along with the "haymakers" were the well timed block/parries preceding them, and both of them had already beaten the snot out of the other.

6 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Sort of like this one?

Chesty-OG1-700x700.jpg

CHESTY~!!  :lol:  :FlagAm:

14 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

In the Karate Kid, Mr Myagi referencing the crane technique, “If do right, no can defend.” Daniel executed this move to great effect in winning the All Valley Championship.

Assuming what Nr Myagi said to be true, how did Daniel fail to execute the crane technique in Karate Kid II?

Speed, power, accuracy, timing?

I just think they knew about the crane technique in Okinawa and Mr Myagi’s training methods were behind their time.

Would the crane technique have worked on Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris in their prime?

His opponent had stolen his mind.  Kokoro no Heiho.  He had no mental discipline and was unprepared to fight.  That's why he was timid and didn't kick when he needed to.  (note it's been a long time since I saw that movie or that scene so going off of memory). 

Who would win depends on the name of the movie.  If it was Karate kid .... 6?  Whatever the next number is, then daniel-san would win the final fight, but probably lose a few times first.  If it was a bruce lee movie, Daniel's only speaking line would be "aaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaa" as he was thrown into something solid.  In a Chuck Norris movie, Daniel would lose, but he'd have time to lay out his entire evil plan. 

Archived