SASS Wire Forum

I voted today

I went up to the courthouse and voted today. I had picked up a sample ballot the other day, checked who was running locally and then went in today. I was there about 10 minutes or maybe less, the lady that setup the machine was in the same grade in school with me and we know each other. For that matter, I think everybody in the office knew me and just wanted to verify my address and I was told my sister, her husband and my parents had all been in to vote and I was the last one in the family to show up. Small towns are a great place to be, I don't remember showing them an id and when she demonstrated the machine, I just told her what to mark on the first couple of things to make sure it worked. I know voting is to be a secret, but most of us in town know who leans what direction.

If you have not voted early, you may want to consider it and my brother-in-law brought up this point the other day. If you get the virus and get quarantined for 14 days, how will you get out to vote?

Remember, vote early and vote often. ( Chicago voting rules :P)

I voted Tuesday. They seemed to want to make it as difficult as possible.

First we no longer go to the polling booth of our precinct, but we go to a super poll, where anyone in the county can go. The closest one to where I live was at 4101 #$&@+$# Street. When I get to the 4100 block, there is only one building on the block. That would kind of have to be 4101 wouldn't it? Nope. Empty warehouse. 4101 was actually two blocks down, which would make it in the 4300 block, and it was on the wrong side of the street.

When I get inside everyone is wearing a mask and is behind plastic shields. I can't hear what they're saying. Mumble mumble. What? Mumble mumble. WHAT? Mumble mumble. WHAT??? And they finally speak up loud enough to be heard. They want me to sign an electronic doodad using a stylus that has a "pen point" bigger than the end of my index finger. I'm used to signing something with a 0.5 mm nib. Yeah that really looked like my signature. Then I go over to one of the little fold-up desks with the side shield so no one can see how I'm voting. They are too low to the ground, so as I'm bending over and trying to mark the little ovals I hit one of the side shields with my elbow and the whole damn thing falls apart. I finish at another little desk, then put my ballot in the protective shield, so no one can see how I voted. There's no one else in there but me, but I know from past experience that they get upset if you don't put it in the protective shield.

The last time I voted, the ballot stuck out the bottom of the shield about 2 inches, and you held the ballot in its protective shield up to the machine that sucks your ballot in. They have changed that. Now you have to take it out of the shield and feed it into the machine. The young lady explained that to me. Mumble mumble. What? Mumble mumble. WHAT??

But I got it done -- in spite of the election workers and the plague defenses.

1 hour ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

If you have not voted early, you may want to consider it and my brother-in-law brought up this point the other day. If you get the virus and get quarantined for 14 days, how will you get out to vote?

Remember, vote early and vote often. ( Chicago voting rules :P)

If I get the virus, who will know?

If all the folks that go to church, vote. If all the firearm owners, vote. If all the military folks, vote. If all the business owners, that have had a successful last four years, vote. If anyone that has an I.R.A., or 401(k), votes.....

Then hopefully we can still have our freedoms to buy, and use, our firearms, in a peaceful way, and we can enjoy our sport, and encourage others to join us. 

No...this is NOT the ONLY issue involved this time. But, since this is a firearms site, and firearms are used in our sport, then I merely limited the issue to this one item...which is firearms.

I voted last week, and it was not crowded when we went. I don't trust the post office, so I went in person.

The early voting location was at the First Methodist Church. I told my wife, that while I was waiting in line, the pastor happened to sneeze on me.

I told her, that since it was the Methodist church, and they sprinkle, instead of immerse, that he had baptized me, and now I am a Methodist!!!!

If you have the virus and vote, will it determine WHO you voted for?   :lol:

The Bunkhouse Boss and I voted a couple days ago.   We live in a medium sized community and we got there

about 20 minutes before the polls open.  We still had to stand in line behind about 40 other voters.

And when we left the voting place, there were probably 100 more folks who had shown up to vote.

..........Widder

I voted today. Once again I displayed my maturity and wisdom  by exercising my right to write in appropriate candidates when none were presented before me.

I wrote in our rec department director for our state senate spot. He’s a fine fella. The person on the ballot was running unopposed and I know nothing about, so I voted for someone I know.

Our state house rep, I don’t like. Used to be mayor at our county seat. Running again, unopposed. I think she drinks a lot. I’ve talked to her a few times over issues. I thought she was out of her mind, hung up on political allegiances and patronizing. I think I wrote in Goofy or Daffy Duck.

Barney Fife got my nod for sheriff. Our current sheriff is running again, unopposed. I didn’t like him when I whipped him on the bus in 4th grade. I didn’t like him in high school. He graduated with and is friends with my older brother. I don’t get along well with my brother half the time.  I haven’t seen our sheriff in over 28 years, despite being such a small town. I don’t necessarily dislike him now, I just figured I should play it safe and vote in a way that remained consistent with my regard for him in the past. That and I still think he had a hand in those black helicopters flying around....

Elmer Fudd got my vote for public service commissioner. That’s about as a BS of a name for a government position if I ever heard of one, and I don’t know if I could trust anyone that would actually run for it. They may as well create another office called Director of Government Excellence and Efficiency. Yeah, right....Foghorn Leghorn would be great at that job.

I voted for my neighbor for county commissioner, though he’s not on the ballot. Only one person was running and his brother was a former detective in our sheriffs department  that got busted by undercover agents in a neighboring county for trying to hook up with teenage girls he met on Craigslist and Backpage. I don’t know much about the one running for county commissioner, only that he was a freshman when I was a senior. Now I’m not necessarily laying guilt by association but that whole family, I have mixed feelings about. So I trusted my well honed instincts and voted for someone I actually know and trust.

The Ocmulgee District court once again needed a new circuit judge. Sam Johnson got my vote for that. I used to write in my own name, but i have grown mature enough to realize it would be inconsistent for me to say I dislike or distrusted lawyers, and write my own name in for any sort of legal position. I have mixed feelings about these non political positions being put to a vote. Whose Sam Johnson, you ask? He’s a fictitious person me and a small circle of friends reference. He’s more or less  a Jody. Sam Johnson is perfect for the job.

We have had all-mail ballots in Washington for several years now. That is, they mail the ballot to you; you can return it by mail or by secure drop boxes located several places in the county. It's counted if postmarked the day of the election.

I wish we still went to the polls, but at the same time, this is very convenient. It's worked smoothly enough, but unlike many states, our procedures are well-established. 

I don't trust to the mail; we always put our ballots in the drop box by the auditor's office; i.e. where the counting actually happens.  So, we voted today. We've had the ballots for 10 days or so, but we always wait til a few days before in case of last-minute developments in local offices.

I am voting this weekend. Polls are open early.
I decided to vote then hand carry my ballot in to drop it off.

So, I did a search on voting places in the city I live in here in California. 
This is what I got when I clicked on a link titled “2020 Voter Information- City of Garden Grove” :lol::lol::lol: 

Figures....

B881D70F-555C-41C1-9A17-7B3E73FBB7B0.thumb.png.5098d67ea77b89f4abc251eb2a205496.png

I dropped off my absentee ballot 2 weeks ago at the County Board of Elections. I've been voting absentee for at least 10 years! I always mail it in but this time I dropped it off!

I went in to vote the other day. Everyone was friendly had a first time voter. I gave my carry license to lady and she said I have one of them. A little confused I looked close and saw my mistake. No worries it’s a legal ID. So she started talking about her gun and asking about what I had just bought. :D . Good to be in United States of Texas

My wife and I voted today.  Walked right in and voted and left in less than 10 minutes.   On tge way home I got a spam text asking me if they could count on my vote for the other candidate.   I've been getting a lot of spam text from naacp,  black votes matter, and other groups I never heard of lately.   

I sent back an emphatic NO .  The other day one group blocked me after they spam texted me to help oppose justice Barret and when I said I like Justice Barret they got mad in a text back and said I was being blocked , so I have that going for me, which is nice.

Put it in the drop box so I didn't get a sticker. Remember when you got a little metal pin that you put in your buttonhole?

IVotedpin.jpg

Just remember, if you vote for Alfred E. Newman for Tzar, be sure you include the "E"! As they used to say (maybe still do...been a long while since I lived there) in Chicago, "Vote early, vote often!" :rolleyes: :P And, "Don't worry about the polls, wait 'til the cemetery vote coms in! :ph34r:

I see Walmart is putting the guns and ammo back on the store floors...seems like they are less concerned about the possibility of looting. Does that indicate anything? :unsure:

Stay well and safe, Pards!

my wife is a local election judge , she advised me - when i told her i was planning to vote on 'election day' - to go in and early vote , she said my temperment was not condusive to 'voting day caos' , then in the last week we have been bombarded with all this increased testing - increased postives - increased deaths in the media , one might almost think they are trying to suppress the vote with all this ...............so , i voted , im on record , i trust that every american will get out and do the same no matter what it takes , its your right , i think it an obligation , we need to speak out loudly particularly now , 

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Put it in the drop box so I didn't get a sticker. Remember when you got a little metal pin that you put in your buttonhole?

IVotedpin.jpg

They had a roll of "I voted" stickers on the counter for people to get one. 

I saw them when I came in but forgot to get one on the way out................:wacko:

Early voting here is in its 3rd week. Because of the virus the Governor opened it a week early. Now with the record turnout it was extended a week.

Wife and I voted last Tuesday morning. Walked in no waiting.  Went by the polling place on my way into work this afternoon and there looked to be close to 100 people in line. Today is the last day for early voting here in TX. I'll be curious to see how many vote on Tuesday. 

According to the State as of COB Wednesday the ballot total for early voting is greater that the total number of ballots cast in 2016..

6 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Newman for Tzar, be sure

I kept looking at that trying to figure out what was wrong.

Czar or Tsar. One or the other, but don't blend them. :P

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I kept looking at that trying to figure out what was wrong.

Czar or Tsar. One or the other, but don't blend them. :P

....... what's wrong ........ is that his name is Alfred E. NeUman ........

Mine's in; dropped it in a slot about 17 miles from home on Tuesday - we have no more local polling places.

Historically most of my votes don't count.  

One interesting note - our congressman has been in office since 2005 - he lost the last three elections, but is still there, thanks to "misplaced" boxes of ballots found up to ten days after election day.  This year, unlike his opponent, I have seen zero campaign efforts by him - no TV, radio, or signs.  He'll win.  -_-

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Mine's in; dropped it in a slot about 17 miles from home on Tuesday - we have no more local polling places.

Historically most of my votes don't count.  

One interesting note - our congressman has been in office since 2005 - he lost the last three elections, but is still there, thanks to "misplaced" boxes of ballots found up to ten days after election day.  This year, unlike his opponent, I have seen zero campaign efforts by him - no TV, radio, or signs.  He'll win.  -_-

If the ballots were misplaced how do you know he lost? I'm confused (pretty easily too):lol:

To me that read that at the official count he had lost. Then three or four days later several boxes of "misplaced ballots" showed up, and these "newly found" gave him enough to win.

I suppose I could have been reading that wrong.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

To me that read that at the official count he had lost. Then three or four days later several boxes of "misplaced ballots" showed up, and these "newly found" gave him enough to win.

I suppose I could have been reading that wrong.

Okay, that makes sense. I must have been reading that wrong!:blush:

Dropped mine in the ballot box inside the lobby of City Hall a few weeks ago instead of mailing it to Salem.

Took all of 10 minutes, including the drive to and from (about the same amount of time it took to fill it out).

Wife and I dropped ours in the local voting box.  One car ahead of us, one behind us. Wife and I don't see eye-to-eye on candidates, but I don't know how she voted on President and senator.  In the worst case, if she voted opposite to me, we will cancel each other out.  Most ballot issues we do agree on.  Well, the die is cast.  Right now all we have to do tonight is put out a table with Halloween treats, hoping the T-or-T'ers will take only one apiece.  Then have to turn the clocks back before going to bed...at least ten of them!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

That's probably because you're not as cynical as I am.

and maybe because you were not here in minnesota when frankin got a win after loosing by ballots in the trunk of a car ,  im cynical too , i know there is voter fraud and all of us should work to correct it - i dont care which side your on , honest elections every time 

My wife and I stood in line and voted last week.  It didn't take long.  There was a certain satisfaction on feeding the ballot into the machine that sucked it up.  But I couldn't shake the thought that it looked a lot like a shredder!

On 10/29/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I voted today. Once again I displayed my maturity and wisdom  by exercising my right to write in appropriate candidates when none were presented before me.

I wrote in our rec department director for our state senate spot. He’s a fine fella. The person on the ballot was running unopposed and I know nothing about, so I voted for someone I know.

Our state house rep, I don’t like. Used to be mayor at our county seat. Running again, unopposed. I think she drinks a lot. I’ve talked to her a few times over issues. I thought she was out of her mind, hung up on political allegiances and patronizing. I think I wrote in Goofy or Daffy Duck.

I’ve also voted for Daffy a couple of times. Good man, er, Duck.  Not sure I’d trust Goofy with that kind of responsibility. 

Seamus

We voted early on Friday.  The lines were rather long.  Our local poling place was locked down due to Covid so we drove to the next town.  My work schedule has been so screwy as of late that I thought it better we vote while we had the time instead of risking the inability for me to get off work on time.  I'm glad we did.

Archived