SASS Wire Forum

High Noon Shoot? Colt SAA as a prize?

Cholla

I saw this on another forum. I know there is a High Noon Shoot in Ohio. Has that shoot, or any other SASS shoot called High Noon given away Colt SAAs as the top prize?

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/help-please-does-high-noon-shoot-mean-anything-to-you.380721/#post-3227692

There's a High Noon 3 day shoot at Tusco here in Ohio but they never gave away a Colt SAA as far as I know.

18 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

I never knew SASS ever gave such prizes to winners. 

As I mentioned the Man on Man at EOT was sponsored by Colt. They furnished a SAA for the winner, not unlike other guns given away in drawings. In fact the last one given went to Cowtown Bill a gentlemen I have shot with for years. It had been advertised as the prize, then Colt said they had decided to end the program. After he one that year he said they were more than welcome to end the prize program the next year, as they had already advertised giving the pistol that current year. They capitulated and he came home with the prize.

I am not good on dates, but think that the last time they gave a Colt for the high noon shootout was in the late 90’s, maybe ‘97.

17 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

As I mentioned the Man on Man at EOT was sponsored by Colt. They furnished a SAA for the winner, not unlike other guns given away in drawings. In fact the last one given went to Cowtown Bill a gentlemen I have shot with for years. It had been advertised as the prize, then Colt said they had decided to end the program. After he one that year he said they were more than welcome to end the prize program the next year, as they had already advertised giving the pistol that current year. They capitulated and he came home with the prize.

Okay, but regardless of the source of the gun, it is a whole lot unlike a gun given away in a random drawing.  I've been under the impression that SASS policy was always no money or valuable prizes for winning.  I'm obviously mistaken.  

For many years Top men's & ladies were given a sixgun along with a nice trophy.  ISTR that starting in 1991 even top jr received a sixgun...   1990 my son won a handsome Davis custom rig for his Jr. win...   Just no "cash" prizes.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, Griff said:

For many years Top men's & ladies were given a sixgun along with a nice trophy.  ISTR that starting in 1991 even top jr received a sixgun...   1990 my son won a handsome Davis custom rig for his Jr. win...   Just no "cash" prizes.

Thanks, Griff.  I guess no cash is what I was remembering, and I made up the rest.  :)

Newt, I also have a strong memory of "prizes of any value" supposed to be awarded by drawing, not as a shooting prize.  I started in '99, maybe it was different before that.

Archived