SASS Wire Forum

Taurus firearms warranty

Jeb Stuart #65654

Read a post here recently about problems with shipping firearms to Taurus for repair. Here is my story.  I bought a used Taurus PT1911 last year.  Shot it in several wild bunch matches and then it developed a problem.  Contacted Taurus and explained the problem and made it known to them that I was not the original owner.  I was told to ship it to them and then expect a 12 week turn around time.  I shipped the pistol on 5 Oct, Taurus received it on 7 Oct.  Monday I received an e-mail telling me my gun was fixed and ready for shipping.  Today, 28 Oct I received my gun back fixed with a explanation of what work was done.  My only cost was the shipping to send gun to them.  I'd say that was pretty good customer service.  I think good service deserves to be acknowledged just as much as poor service.

I had just the opposite service with a new Taurus Spectrum. They had it for 6 months. Perhaps the Spectrums are such a POS that the repair backlog on them is just lousy. At least they can get 1911 parts from everywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I had just the opposite service with a new Taurus Spectrum. They had it for 6 months. Perhaps the Spectrums are such a POS that the repair backlog on them is just lousy. At least they can get 1911 parts from everywhere. 

Not sure standard 1911 parts are interchangeable.  Had a friend look at my gun before I sent it in to Taurus and he told me that the parts didn't look like they were the same as a standard 1911

When I was the gun room manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, warranty service was exemplary, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about individuals getting things fixed. 

I have a Thunderbolt I should send in... :lol:  They can't fix them, but I've heard if you press them a little, they'll give you credit for the original purchase price toward another Taurus firearm, and I've still got the original receipt from 13 years ago.

I had just the Opposite   Experience  100%   with Tuarus myself .

They has my gun for over a year .

I never did get it back .

They said it was Not fixable and they would Not return it to me .

They would give me a Voucher for 300  ( for a 600 Rifle )  too buy a New Taurus gun at retail price .

I told Tuarus to stick it where the sun dont shine !

I would Never buy one of there products again and I would share that info every time I had the chance .

my only tuarus is the SS SAA i have thats been slicked up so i know they wont deal with me so i take it to my favorite LGS guy , bought this used , ill not be buying another but ive never been disappointed in this one yet , 

I picked up a Model 85 with a three in barrel a few years ago on Gunbroker. It over rotated badly. I sent it in and received the repaired gun in a timeframe I considered acceptable.

I have several 85s and a 94 from Taurus. Most of them used. That one is the only one I had trouble with, but it's now my CCW.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

When I was the gun room manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, warranty service was exemplary, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about individuals getting things fixed. 

I have a Thunderbolt I should send in... :lol:  They can't fix them, but I've heard if you press them a little, they'll give you credit for the original purchase price toward another Taurus firearm, and I've still got the original receipt from 13 years ago.

I also have a Taurus Thunderbolt, 26 inch brushed nickel barrel, 45 LC, which I bought to shoot Wild Bunch.  It works flawlessly, however the 45LC allows blowback.  Every time you fire, it spits in your face.  They say a 44-40 works better.  I bought it used, so I have never considered sending it back.  Plus, I could not in good conscious pass it off onto another shooter.

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Taurus' warranty covers the gun for life. It doesn't matter if you're the first, second, or tenth owner. 

Thanks for that info C.J.  Now I have some decisions to make.

14 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

I also have a Taurus Thunderbolt, 26 inch brushed nickel barrel, 45 LC, which I bought to shoot Wild Bunch.  It works flawlessly, however the 45LC allows blowback.  Every time you fire, it spits in your face.  They say a 44-40 works better.  I bought it used, so I have never considered sending it back.  Plus, I could not in good conscious pass it off onto another shooter.

You've got a Thunderbolt that actually works?   Wow!   You must have one of the very few in existence!  

But, all kidding aside, yes, shooting a Lightning in .45 Colt does have a lot of blowback, although it never really bothered me all that much.  Just a word to the wise, you MUST carefully clean it after every match.   If you don't, gun will accumulate in the firing pin channel, and it will eventually not go "BANG" when you pull the trigger.  I learned this the hard way.   Since then I always flush out the firing pin with Gunscrubber after every match.  Never had the problem re-occur in my (AWA) Lighntning in .45 Colt.

And yes, the .44-40 does eliminate the blowback issue.  But I still keep it clean.

I wish they still made the Gaucho, the case color one were very nice and the stainless ones were spectacular. The plastic grips were ugly and replacement grips had to be fitted. I sold mine years ago and the Cowboy I sold them to still uses them.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:13 PM, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

If you anneal your .45 Colt cases it will stop a lot of the blowback. 

Blackfoot :FlagAm:

Archived