SASS Wire Forum

Question for you SKB gunsmiths

Boomstick Bruce

So I bought a "sacrificial" barrel for my new SKB 100 to chop up and funnel. There seems to be a bit of a difference between the original barrel (top) and the new one (bottom). I'm sure I can machine out that extra metal and make the new one fit bit I'm not quite ready to start without talking with someone.

Has anyone seen this style lug on an SKB? It doesn't look like any SKB I've seen, which aren't many btw...

IMG_20201016_143647.jpg

I have seen SKBs with both single (bottom) and double style locking lugs (top).  I believe the newer SKBs went to the stronger double locking method but I have no idea around what dates or what serial numbers.  It's going to take a lot of work to get the older style single lug to fit your current double locking SKB frame, it might be better to try and trade for a newer set of barrels. 

Top is a Double, Bottom is a Single.......

With a Lot of Patience and some Luck You might be able to make it work on your double lug Receiver,

BUT, you could also ruin the barrel....

I'd suggest selling it to someone that needs a Single Lug Barrel and keep Looking for a Double Lug....  They're are a few out there.

I have fit a second barrel single lug barrel set to a double lug skb before so they could have a 2nd barrel skb gun set.  It can be done with only modifying the single lug set.  Takes  time and fitting

That modification is not a Dremel tool job ... should be done with a milling machine and a person who knows how to use it. ... because the lug has to be fitted to the shotgun. Any good gunsmith can do the modification 

the conversion is a lot of work and expense. It can be done by someone with machining skills and knowledge of SKB's and a desire to see the finished product.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I don't feel that it is worthwhile.

Johnny Meadows

Archived