SASS Wire Forum

Loading Small Primer .45 ACP Cases-Warning

I noted when chronographing (sp) small primer .45 ACP there was 150 fps range of velocities.  Careful examination of the cases showed a variationin the flash hole diameter between the three lots of cases used in the test.  Velocities varied from 450-600 FPS.

The results are approximate since I used drill bits to make measurements of flash holes.

Cases head stamped "Federal .45 Auto NT" measured .095"

Cases head stamped "Federal .45 Auto"  measured .070"

Cases head stamped "Blazer .45 Auto had slightly smaller flash holes than the Federal

Load used was 4 gr. Bullseye, 200 gr LYMAN semi wadcutter and federal small pistol primers.  Fired in 10" Contender bbl.

When weather clears I will re-test with sorted brass, and mid-range loads.

It makes sense:

Federal Ballisticlean RHT .45 Auto 50/BOX RHT Frangible 155gr

Frangible RHT bullets that break-up immediately on contact with metal targets significantly reducing ricochet and backsplash danger. Copper-plated primer and an NT (non-toxic) head stamp to clearly identify BallistiClean as a training round at a glance eliminating confusion with duty rounds.

The larger hole is to make up for the less efficient non-lead primers.

3 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

The person (s) who designed a small pistol primer 45ACP case should be kicked in the nuts until they die. 

No, no.  Just until they pass out.  When they wake up, start over.

They varied from the total FPS by an amount of 450-600fps, or the total fps measured was from 450-600 fps? If the second, those are some pretty light loaded cartridges.  Maybe full loads wouldn't vary so much. I do need to sort mine, though.

If loading for Wild Bunch matches, you need a power factor of at least 150, and better to "shoot for" about 165 PF.   With a 200 grain slug, that means you need at least 750 FPS muzzle velocity!    Your velocities are lower than most folks shoot for bullseye shooting, and certainly will not work a slide of a 1911.    But, then, you may be shooting these from a revolver for cowboy matches, and you have much tamer power factors to meet there.  

In general, the size of primer should not make much difference in consistency.   But it surely makes a difference keeping the two sizes apart when loading.  

Agree it's one of the worst hacks that ammo manufacturers have ever made - violating the SAAMI standard primer pocket size just to make "non-toxic" .45 auto rounds for indoor police shooting ranges.

Good luck, GJ

In .45 ACP, I load a 230 grain RN bullet in front of 3.5 grains of Trailboss.   This functions just fine in all of my 1911s made between 1913 and 1994.  It also works properly in both of my Tommyguns.  Basically it's a jacketless hardball round.  In all of my .45 ACP brass, which is a mixture of GI surplus and various commercial stuff, I have exactly 1 case that has a small primer in it.  I mix the durn thing in with my other .45 brass without regard to its oddball nature.  I seem to recover it each and every time it gets used at a  WB or Zoot match, and it does not cause me any trouble.

That being said, I have no desire to acquire any more brass in this odd configuration.

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have loaded hundreds of sp, .45acp cases on my D550 with no issues. 

Use the same load as lp case.

5.5gn WW231, w/200gn LSWC

This load makes USPSA 'major', easily. 

OLG 

Lumpy, have you tried 7.0 grains of Unique with those bullets and that primer?

Duffield

1 minute ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Lumpy, have you tried 7.0 grains of Unique with those bullets and that primer?

Duffield

I started with Bullseye and tried Unique.

The targets told me to stay with 231.

BTW, 231 was developed especially for the .45 acp cartridge by Winchester. 

Bullseye was/is just to temperature sensitive and has to much lot to lot variation for me.

I would go to Unique if 231 disappears. 

OLG 

I save all the small pistol .45 acp cases in a special bin.  If I ever go to a lost brass Wild Bunch match, that's where they get used.  Ambush use to be a lost brass match where the Boy Scouts picked up the brass and then auctioned it off at the end of the match.  I donated quite a few rounds of small pistol primer .45 acp brass.  Sorry Marshall TKD.

Archived