SASS Wire Forum

Schofield action work.

Baltimore Ed

A while back I picked up an ASM Schofield to go with my Rafe Covington Centennial build and always wanted one, love the look, enjoy the way it handles and shoots but it has that annoying no touchee trigger=no cockee hammer issue. Wondering if you cowpokes knew of someone that could fix this aggravation. Or is it something that I need to live with and ‘quit my bellyachin’.  The guys at cascity had two guys who used to fix them, both retired. And then there’s the fact that it’s an ASM which might make doing a uberti Schofield repair on it impossible. It seems to be a good revolver with a tight lockup and correct timing so far. Only done a couple of shoots so far and practice in the yard, planning on using it again next month.  Added a couple of thin holly shims to thicken the grips, fits my hand better now [duelist]. Thanks ahead. 

8CAF598D-215E-484C-AAAC-B723D83A5DEE.jpeg

I have a pair of Schofields in 38 that have been worked on and are very smooth. The design of the internal mechanism is such that the issue you refer to can’t be avoided without reworking. I’d love to have something done about it on mine but never found anyone who knows how to do it.

Finding someone to work on a ASM Schofield is like finding hens teeth.  I have one of the ASM Schofields that Tom Sargis of Bozeman Trail Arms worked on. He will not touch them now.  I have had a local machine shop friend do a few things to keep it running. Most did not work for long if at all.

Hi Deacon.  It seems that the consensus on two forums is that I’ve bought a white elephant, not my first, that has a built in idiosyncrasy that can’t be fixed without great expense if at all. Just have to live with it and enjoy until it maybe craps out. While I’ve never carried extra guns to shoots I’ll have to remember to tote a second revolver whenever I plan on using my Schofield, just in case. 

My own Schofield is an Uberti, and it has the same no cock while the trigger is pulled issue you refer to.  This is not so much as issue as it is the way the gun was designed.  I have never heard that there is a way to change it.  I would assume it would take a major internal reconfiguration, and I don't know if it's even possible.

On the other hand, I obviously don't know the quality of ASM Schofields.  But I do have a couple of ASM Colt clones, and and ASM 92.  The "Colts" are of excellent quality, while the 92 was horrible and I needed to have a major action job done to it.   So all that tells me is that the quality from ASM is variable depending on what it was they made.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Hi Deacon.  It seems that the consensus on two forums is that I’ve bought a white elephant, not my first, that has a built in idiosyncrasy that can’t be fixed without great expense if at all. Just have to live with it and enjoy until it maybe craps out. While I’ve never carried extra guns to shoots I’ll have to remember to tote a second revolver whenever I plan on using my Schofield, just in case. 

Best advice I got for ASM Schofields is sell them. Otherwise shoot it until it breaks, remove the sideplate, pour epoxy in the innards, replace the sideplate and hang it on the wall. 

I have a pair of Uberti's in 44-40. I sent them to a guy, I think Bill English. He changed the internals and now I can touch the trigger with no issues. I think he has since retired. I'm not positive. I did loan one to a friend who took it to a local competent gun smith. He took it apart and said nope. Too much work and $. The parts had to be made. English had made some and did a lot of Schofield.

Ike

At one time there were two guys whom could fix the Schofield.  Bill English (aka: Happy Trails) at "The Smith Shop, now retired.  And Ron Snover (aka: The Ottaway Smith" at "IXL Enterprises, also now retired.  I don't know of anyone else who eliminates the "don't touch it" trigger.  I know this doesn't help, but the best I can do today.

PS:  Unless your doing a lot of Schofield work ad have the jigs already set up, it is a very expensive fix.

English was the guy mentioned at cascity but he’s retired now. I don’t shoot for speed any more so I’ll just have to slow down and enjoy shooting it. I’ll shoot it and my .45 uberti Thunderer next month. The Thunderer was a door prize that I won at the NE Regional in Thurmont Md years ago. I had test fired an identical revolver at a SE Regional a couple years earlier and really liked it but was very much a lover of my vaqueros and bought a ruger vaquero birdshead instead. You win some and you lose some.  

Bill English.  The great Happy Trails to us SASS folks, Fixer in Zoot circles.   A great gunsmith, and an even greater guy.   Fun to shoot with, and more fun to know.  I can't say I am more than a casual aquaintence, but I am glad to have been to get to know him in a limited way.   He worked on a couple of my guns, and did an excellent job.   

had schofields in both 38 and 45 in the past could never get any of them to run long enough to finish a stage - im not sayin it wasnt operator errors at fault , never wanted to send them off for costly fix/slick as i was never real happy with the "feel" of them , no issue with the look tho 

I have one of the ASM Schofields that Tom Sargis of Bozeman Trail Arms worked on. He will not touch them now.  It has run great and done many matches.  I had a young man that was a good friend of my son that used it once a month in matches for over 3 years.  I used it for 2 years after it was worked on.  Had my BIN do some machining so it would run black better.  Before the machining about every 3 stages the back of cylinder frame face needed wiped down

Along with an action job some side spacers were put on the hammer and trigger pins to reduce side rubbing which helped reduce the play in the two parts.  Today any broken parts has to be hand made.  The ASM Schofield is the first model design while the Uberti is the second model.

You might try a gunsmith over in OHIO that shot's SASS under the name of Lassiter.   Jim 1-937-687-1039. Tom's Single Action Shop
Thomas J. Wildenauer
675 Crawford Tom's Run Rd, New Lebanon, OH 45345 

Archived