SASS Wire Forum

I'm Simply Without Words

DocWard

I'm not typically one to complain here, to vent, or to share much going on in my personal life. I come here to escape, to get away from the negativity, and enjoy the company. Today, though, I need to complain, to vent, and to struggle through some emotions.

I came in from work today and Mrs. Doc told me she thought a friend of ours had died. Getting onto Facebook, and yes, one of our close friends from college died in her sleep last night. She was the younger sister of my best friend and fraternity brother while in college, so naturally we were close as well, and we had remained close over the years. Less than two months ago, my roommate from my freshman year of college died. He had many struggles of his own over the past couple of years, and it was sadly a relief to many of us that he had died of a heart attack, and not by his own hand. As I was discussing things with one of my fraternity brothers earlier, he informed me that another friend, and "little sister" to my fraternity, had committed suicide a couple of weeks back. I have been so busy that they somehow missed me in the information chain. The oldest among the three would have been 52.

I'm struggling to wrap my mind around this information, to come to grips with it and not simply curl up in the fetal position. Just when I thought I was seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel as I try to move to the next chapter of my life with Mrs. Doc, something like this happens. I am ready for this year to be over, and hope 2021 is better, or at least no worse.

So sorry to hear of your losses Doc. I can sympathize. We lost ten within five years of graduating high school. Four in one house. 

I try not to think about it anymore. Kinda numb to it now.

Saddened by your recent series of losses.

I try to reach out, in times like you’re having, for the remaining friends and family and share the good memories. It helps me to deal with the grief.

I can relate to you.

Since January, twelve friends have died...one from Covid-19, and one of those that died was my mother-in-law. I was elected to speak at her funeral.

One of the twelve, a girl I graduated with from high school, was out for a morning walk, and was hit and killed by a car...just last Monday!!!

I'm just blown away!!!

I have never experienced so many friends to pass on, before...all within this year...and the dang year is not even done with yet!!!!

I have had it cross my mind that I hope this is not going to be the beginning of some tough times.

So....you ain't alone in this boat, Pard. 

I am beyond ready for some (for lack of a better word) "normalcy", for a change.  But, we may have a "new normal", and I am not sure I will like it.

W.K.

My hear felt sympathy for your losses. You are not alone here. They say venting is therapeutic, I believe it is. So let it out.

The pain won’t go away Immediately, but it will eventually become less. Recall the good memories and dwell on them.

Regards,

CJ

Praying for you here. Psalms 91

I am sorry for your losses Doc and Kid. I have no words that can truly help, I’m sure, but you have my sympathies. Losing people you care about is never easy. :(

Any words I could offer would be faint comfort. I will keep you in my thoughts and meditations. :(

so sorry to hear this - this has been a trying year , i suspect that since it is not over yet and our lives are still in turmoil that most of us could or will be able to add to this thread before new years , i trust we shall all find solace one day soon ,

please all look to the future as a 'new day' worth living and with new hope for better in the future , as we age we all experience this more , it does not make it easier or more palatable , its just the way of life that we all hope to avoid , live well 

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words of comfort. They are truly appreciated. I dealt with a restless night, so it is going to be a long, tired day. I talked with a few of my close friends via Facebook, and hope to speak to them by phone more over the next few days. I was just coming to terms with the passing of my freshman roommate, and was planning to write some of my memories for his sons, along with some other friends from college. This morning I'm still sort of numb and in disbelief.

Doc, you have an ordeal to handle and it is not an easy thing to deal with, death. Not easy but even more so since these are people who are close to you and have a place in your life.  I can only offer an alternative thought: you had these people in your life for a long time. They and you shared good times and perhaps bad.  You all were friends and confidants, who supported each other in friendship over the years. Revel in that.  You are lucky and blessed.  Now you have to option to move their spirits forward in your life as good experience and cherished past, or you can let it drag you down.  The later will not benefit you or anyone else.  You have over the years shown yourself to be resilient and a good man. My prayers are with you and your circle.  Be well and embrace the good.

Our condolences on your losses, Doc.  Prayers goin up.

Ellie & Eyesa

You were kind enough to lend your ear when I was needful.

That goes both ways.

Archived