SASS Wire Forum

Bought a Glock but was hoping for Rugers

Pat Riot

Well, I wanted a second Glock 34, but it was 4th on my list right now. Since July I have had a “be on the lookout” list of 4 guns at my LGS. 
On my list I had:
Ruger Redhawk 5050 .45 Colt / .45 ACP
Ruger Redhawk 5059 8-shot .357 Magnum
Ruger Blackhawk.45 Convertible
Glock 34 Gen 3 (we can only get Gen 3s n CA)

Anyway, I have wanted a 2nd G34 for some time and in a few days I will have a mate for one of my favorite handguns. I did want one of the revolvers first, but I am very happy to get the Glock. 

It has surprised me that Ruger revolvers have been so hard to get. I think the only reason the Glock was available is because my LGS had some guns in reserve and perhaps threw me a bone for my weekly diligence in coming in to check on my list of desired handguns. 
I am looking forward to bringing my new gun home Nov. 2nd.

The kicker for me - I have a great local gun store - was these guys list the Glock 34 at $615 on line. It’s  below the price other stores charge here for that model. The Asst Manager apologized a couple of times for having to charge me $680. People here are price gouging the heck out of guns right now. 

What guns or accessories have you been hoping to get but can’t because of gun and ammo scarcity right now?

Nothing hindering me but funds now. None of these are hot in demand firearms. but here’s my list of five,  in preferential order:

1) Remington 700 or  Tikka T3x Hunter stainless in 260 Remington

2) Some sort of bolt action magnum or medium bore- think 7 mag or 300 win mag, or 338-06/35 whelen/358 Winchester, or even a 375 Ruger

3) Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt 5 1/2”

4) 45-70 lever rifle

5) Marlin 1894 44 mag 

Honorable mentions: Bisley Blackhawk 41 mag, 1911

And, I could always use a couple more unmolested full barreled SXS. SKB, BSS or Charles Daly 500.

Tried to buy back a FN FAL that I sold a friend years ago. He ain't parting with it. I offered double what he paid me. Other than that I'm good.

32 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Tried to buy back a FN FAL that I sold a friend years ago. He ain't parting with it. I offered double what he paid me. Other than that I'm good.

After making the mistake of selling a couple of guns that I later regretted selling I now will not let a gun go unless I have put it away for at least a month or two then brought back out  and made a  special trip to the range with just that gun and I fire it one last time just to make sure that I am sure I  want to sell it.

Ruger SBH Bisley in 480 Ruger

Marlin Dark 30-30

Older Smith 624 44 Special

Highway Patrolman made in '69

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Wait for it....

Yeah, I kinda thought it would happen too!  Well, it's only been four hours--LOL

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Ruger SBH Bisley in 480 Ruger

Marlin Dark 30-30

Older Smith 624 44 Special

Highway Patrolman made in '69

That last one on your list is my latest addition. I didn't know the year until I got it home and looked it up. Didn't matter to me , but seems a little strange you are looking for the exact unit. Well , maybe, it is a 4" barrel.

Good luck to all,

Rex:D

I would love to get a model 27 or 28. Every time I find 27 the price is just too high. I have only physically seen one model 28 in the past 4 years. It wasn’t for sale. 

I had cash in pocket in March.  First was a G17, the second was going to be a Ruger PC carbine.  Got the G17 and picked it the week after the SHTF in March.  Had been planning to buy the PC carbine when I picked up the G17.  The LGS had it in stock when I bought the G17, should have just bought them both at the same time... but who knew?

There ain't much 9mm ammo out there right now anyway.  Almost new caliber to me, so I didn't have a lot stocked up, and hadn't started loading for it yet. 

25 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I had cash in pocket in March.  First was a G17, the second was going to be a Ruger PC carbine.  Got the G17 and picked it the week after the SHTF in March.  Had been planning to buy the PC carbine when I picked up the G17.  The LGS had it in stock when I bought the G17, should have just bought them both at the same time... but who knew?

There ain't much 9mm ammo out there right now anyway.  Almost new caliber to me, so I didn't have a lot stocked up, and hadn't started loading for it yet. 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/102120/ruger+pc+carbine+9mm+syn+16"+10%2b1+threaded+barrel

There sure aren’t many available out there. 

If your LGS does not charge you the FFL/DROS fee when you buy from him, this is worth at least $50.
Sportsman's Warehouse is higher priced, but their price includes the DROS fee.
Everybody charges for the background fee.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

If your LGS does not charge you the FFL/DROS fee when you buy from him, this is worth at least $50.
Sportsman's Warehouse is higher priced, but their price includes the DROS fee.
Everybody charges for the background fee.

They cut me a break in DROS, but not on sales tax. 

I buy from online sources based entirely on availability.
My LGS and the big box stores do not stock, will not obtain what I want.

One exception to this was my Henry Frontier.
The Sportsmans Warehouse price which included DROS was very close to the online price + free shipping + DROS fee at my LGS.
Background check here is $40, always.

My neighbor picked up a nice 12 gauge pump from Sportsmans, good price including built-in DROS and no shipping charges.

bout the time you find number four the other three will show up - hope your gun reserve is full for all of them , congrats on getting that one at this point , there is a shortage most everywhere 

Well this is my list:

1. New 1886 in 45 - 70 - 26 inch barrel 8 round magazine

2. Another Ruger New Vaquero SS in 45 Colt

3. Savage or Ruger in .338 Lapua

4. 1897 pump 12 gauge

5. Another 1873 in 45 Colt

6. A nicer SXS shotgun in 12 gauge.

But too many other things that take priority right now.

Right now the only thing on my list is a Ruger 10/22 in need of some mods.  Looking to find a beater I can build on.  Just can't see paying the price they are asking for the new onw with the laser etched stocks.  Not going to pay an extra $200 bucks for a fancy stock I'm just going to change out.

Eyes open for:

• Remington Marine Magnum 12 gauge - like there is any real chance of finding a Remington;
  • IWI Tavor X95 - a good alternative in a state that has banned ARs and AKs.

LGS is largely empty; I'm not thrilled with our immediate prospects for ammo or guns.  Hold on to what you got.

LL

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

J Bar, I apologize, but I am compelled

J. Mark, your picture doesn't open for me.

Perhaps it's just as well!  

;)

31 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

J. Mark, your picture doesn't open for me.

Perhaps it's just as well!  

;)

I saw the picture earlier but now it is just this symbol.

image.png.ee27dd73ab45ab363c43e819979022dd.png

7 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Just don’t put a pre-‘82 S&W in front of me.

Please.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

J Bar, I apologize, but I am compelled

Since J Mark's picture disappeared, these are pre-'82 S&W's (1882, mostly):

image.png.33b8c867e93773134ac32cec579da9d0.pngimage.png.b080c2d160b9916992449b7bb9be43a9.pngimage.png.438db477b61d67c00d73c6b6fa788e98.pngimage.png.0d49fcdc05589182afab3c1b6638c8ad.pngimage.png.ee70b58c8e4155910c79af2238fe8538.pngimage.png.01863650a80a547f8e86baabb60b12d0.png

Speaking of older guns...

Here are 2 older guns that I have been in the look out for for quite some time. I took these photos off the Internet. 

The Colt Detective Special

91248032-A2F8-44E4-B4DE-68D540BED5F0.thumb.jpeg.4c6bfaeba5f88ac8833766624c809187.jpeg

The Smith & Wesson model 1905, .38 Special with a 6” barrel. 
CB17B2BB-71E3-4318-A94D-04567EBD8AB7.jpeg.54ce990edf97fde3c25c2253cc7e6a1f.jpeg

And maybe someday I will buy one of these but prices are always way out of my budget when I do find them. 

The S&W model 25 .45 Colt

D8BABDD8-63A4-4074-8C7E-3715EC7330ED.thumb.jpeg.1bd9e6aebf0071268e791f666037d725.jpeg

What makes me laugh is every time I am on this other forum I frequent I see comments like:

”I cannot  swing a dead cat without hitting a Colt Detective around here.”

”Colt Detectives are only worth $400-$600 tops! They’re all over the place for that.”

”Heck I bought a 1905 Smith for $200 at a gun show last year. They’re everywhere and plentiful.”

Just some examples. 

Not sure whether these people that make these comments are truthful but this has not been the case for me in Oregon or California. There for a while the Cabela’s In Tualatin OR had a steady stream of 25th anniversary model 25’s in their Gun Library. The price was always $1299. According to folks on other forums at that time (cue big mouth know it all voice) “Hell, you shouldn’t have to pay more than $850 for those. I see ‘em all the time for that here.” Where ever “here” is...

So I held off. I haven’t seen one in 3 years, not even at online gun sales sights. 

From now on I plan to buy what I have been looking for when I see it and say screw all the Know-it-all Bigmouth types. 

Another thing I have given up on is trying to buy and deal on sites like Armslist and Gun Broker. I haven’t had a pleasant experience with them either. 

Enough ranting and grumbling. :)

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Speaking of older guns...

Here are 2 older guns that I have been in the look out for for quite some time. I took these photos off the Internet. 

The Colt Detective Special

91248032-A2F8-44E4-B4DE-68D540BED5F0.thumb.jpeg.4c6bfaeba5f88ac8833766624c809187.jpeg

Pat - I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and picked up a very nice Detective special ('74 vintage) at a small gunshow in AZ for $600. Now the difficult part is that I don't shoot 38's so finding ammo is a difficult task.

46 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Pat - I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and picked up a very nice Detective special ('74 vintage) at a small gunshow in AZ for $600. Now the difficult part is that I don't shoot 38's so finding ammo is a difficult task.

Awe...Nice. Since you don't have ammo I could test it for you...I have ammo :D:D:D

34 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Awe...Nice. Since you don't have ammo I could test it for you...I have ammo :D:D:D

I have obtained some ammo. About 43 rounds at the same gunshow and three boxes at a local estate sale last week.

Anyway, feel free to bring some ammo and come over to Prescott!:)

Actually, I bought it for my wife. She cannot rack a semi auto and a neighbor had a Colt Detective that she tried and really liked.

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I have obtained some ammo. About 43 rounds at the same gunshow and three boxes at a local estate sale last week.

Anyway, feel free to bring some ammo and come over to Prescott!:)

Actually, I bought it for my wife. She cannot rack a semi auto and a neighbor had a Colt Detective that she tried and really liked.

I would love to...just can't for a while. 

I hope she likes it.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Eyes open for:

• Remington Marine Magnum 12 gauge - like there is any real chance of finding a Remington;
  • IWI Tavor X95 - a good alternative in a state that has banned ARs and AKs.

LGS is largely empty; I'm not thrilled with our immediate prospects for ammo or guns.  Hold on to what you got.

LL

I have looked at the 200th Anniversary Wingmasters on and off over the past couple of years...then came the bankruptcy and I began to wonder if I could find one of them anymore. Then came the Joe Biden commercial and I bought it.

Archived