SASS Wire Forum

Ammo: Something is amiss

Tom Bullweed

I get the shortages of common ammo (9mm, .223, .308, .22 LR, etc).  I get the unavailable stock of primers, powders and components.

I do not understand shortages of BP powderhorns, .401 bullet molds, casting handles and 10-round Ruger 10/22 mags.

Something more than hording is amiss.  

The surge of new gun owners would easily be met by eager manufacturers and shops.

What gives?

the China Virus has impacted everything

Most manufacturers operate using the "Just in Time" supply chain model. This means that they have very little stock of raw materials and/or components on hand to build the final product. If any of their suppliers have to shut down even temporarily due to the China Virus the shutdown impacts their ability to build widgets. A single shutdown can ripple through several businesses.

Many shops have been forced to close because they are deemed a non-esential business.

Many items are made over seas and the shops there have been shut down multiple times.

Lots of factors come into play.

As for moulds and handles what are you looking for?

I have work in metal fab manufacturing for 30+ years.  Even in this strangest of years, I do not know of any companies coasting in neutral.  If there is a demand, then companies (that I know) are running at a level to match it.

I placed an order with a major grip maker in February.  They have been shut down since end of Feb as being non-essential.  I would suppose many other smaller makers of specialized gun accessories are getting hit with similar "close or minimize workforce" requirements.

Casting supplies - the demand from lots of folks (who previously never wanted to touch casting) exploded when reloading components got bought out in March and April.  How many handles do you suppose most companies are set up to make in a month?  WAY less than what the demand has been the last 6 months!

You underestimate the buying power of American public when a big scare gets promoted from all corners of government, news and social media.  Buy 20 10/22 magazines?  Sounds like something EVERYONE would want to do, right?  Right after they get the truckload of TP.

Good luck, GJ

The enormous size of this country is such that even a modest increase over usual demand has a big impact. Just like toilet paper and hand sanitizer-- we were amazed by the empty shelves, now the shelves are full.

Bicycles, tents, camp stoves, kayaks; outdoor supplies of all kinds disappeared from the shelves as 'lockdown' folks flocked to the outdoors. Clorox wipes vanished and Clorox is still far behind the demand. Used cars are increasing in price and flying off the lots as folks stay away from public transport. There are innumerable examples.

Increase firearms and ammo demand by even a few percent, like everything else, it's the same picture. In the case of guns and ammo, the Covid effect is greatly increased by civil unrest and election issues. 

So it's doubtful that "something more than hoarding is amiss".

It's a big investment to buy materials, pay for the labor and then let it set. Most businesses use the just in time model of buying goods and or manufacturing. Staff up or downsize based on demand. 

The other issue come come tax time is inventory is taxed at some level. Empty the shelves, do an inventory, then re-stock.

We wanted to buy an upright freezer to replace the chest freezer, ancient, one we have. We ordered it and theres a 3 month wait to get it.  Demand from people stocking up on food, and factories shut down.

Also remember that lower-demand items that have finally sold out are not being replenished, as manufacturers struggle to produce more of the high-demand items instead. 8mm Nambu may have been the last to disappear from store shelves but it'll also be the last to finally reappear.

Irish Ike. I've got the same problem with getting refrigerators. Our current one, given to us by our daughter, isn't working right. I don't want to put money into it being almost 20 years old. We ordered one initially slated to arrive just about now. They called and now it's  December.  Convinced the wife to buy a second one because during her goat milking season our fridge was full of milk. But it's crazy that with cash in hand you can't just go buy one and have to wait months.

On a gun related note I went by the local Sportsmans Warehouse in case they happened to have some 44 special brass. They didn't but they did have Winchester 44-40 brass that is sometimes hard to find. They had about 900 Federal large pistol primers for $2.89 a hundred. I bought five.

I've been waiting for a set of Wolff springs for a Colt SAA, they've been on back order for 8 weeks already! I normally get them is a few days!

Archived