SASS Wire Forum

Boy Scouts Master at Arms

Subdeacon Joe

"Boy Scouts participating for their "master at arms" badge during the early part of the 20th century. Scouts were expected to be proficient in single stick, wrestling, boxing, or quarterstaff to earn this badge. Its a shame that this isn't around anymore."

FB_IMG_1603767637194.jpg

My son should have got this badge when the mouthy kid in the troop called me a cripple behind my back. He demonstrated the will and ability immediately and to good effect. The Troop Leader just turned and walked away. Didn't see a thing. It was several years before I found out why and how that kid hit the ground so hard.

Makes me so so sad to see what has happened to the Boy Scouts in the last couple of decades. 

I never had the opportunity to be involved in the Boy Scouts. Sure wish I had. 

This country will suffer greatly due to their downfall. 

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Makes me so so sad to see what has happened to the Boy Scouts in the last couple of decades. 

I never had the opportunity to be involved in the Boy Scouts. Sure wish I had. 

This country will suffer greatly due to their downfall. 

If you're talking about accepting girls, I can't agree.  Both my grandsons are Eagles.  Their mother is the troop leader for the first troop of girls in Durham NC and recently "graduated" her first female Eagle.  It's all about equality of access.  I've heard so many former girl scouts say they quit because they were tired of doing crafts.  Girls want to shoot, camp, learn survival skills, etc just like the boys do, and girl scouts never had the equivalent of Eagle to work toward. 

I agree that the country will suffer due if they don't survive.  BabyGirl's FIL, a decorated WWII hero in two countries and himself an Eagle Scout, said that boy scouts made the best soldiers.  Now:  if you're talking about the allegations of sexual abuse, I couldn't agree more.  I'd have had to clean up after BabyGirl had anyone laid a hand on either of our boys.

i wish the boy scouts had maintained their integrity - it was a good institution as founded and many of us had a great experience in their program , im sorry for those that did not - i think those that tarnished its name should rot in hell 

I made some of my best friends as an assistant leader when my son was in Scouting. When he joined -I joined. We had some great times. I was one of the 'fun' parents. I was kinda laid back and an outdoorsman. When it came to any of that it was my show. And I have a cabin in the woods -big woods. We were probably only a day or two away from turning feral up there. lol. Most fun up there we have ever had was having a group of kids running around the place and being kids. My daughter was kind of the little sister to the troop. Now she outfishes, outhunts and outshoots all of them. twelve big brothers.

5 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You're a lucky man Mr. Slim

I am at that. Truly blessed. One of the boys sent me a picture Monday of his buck. I was on stand so I sent him a selfie from my stand. Kaya had a bigger buck feeding at ten yards but I didn't tell him about that. 

When I was a Scout in the late 80s and early 90s, there were a lot of athletic requirements (as there are today).  However, the requirements each said, "neither boxing nor karate can be used to fulfill this requirement."  I thought it was extremely lame, because I was a boxer at the time, not to mention a kid could take Tae Kwon Do, Muy Tai, Krav Maga, Hapkio, Aikido, Kung Fu, or any other martial art and fulfill the requirement.  The must have thought there were only two martial arts when they wrote the requirement!

18 hours ago, MizPete said:

If you're talking about accepting girls, I can't agree.  Both my grandsons are Eagles.  Their mother is the troop leader for the first troop of girls in Durham NC and recently "graduated" her first female Eagle.  It's all about equality of access.  I've heard so many former girl scouts say they quit because they were tired of doing crafts.  Girls want to shoot, camp, learn survival skills, etc just like the boys do, and girl scouts never had the equivalent of Eagle to work toward. 

I agree that the country will suffer due if they don't survive.  BabyGirl's FIL, a decorated WWII hero in two countries and himself an Eagle Scout, said that boy scouts made the best soldiers.  Now:  if you're talking about the allegations of sexual abuse, I couldn't agree more.  I'd have had to clean up after BabyGirl had anyone laid a hand on either of our boys.

Not to mention the girls are in separate troops than boys.  Some troops are for girls only, some troops are for boys only.  So the boys are doing the exact same program with NO CHANGES.  The only difference, as you said, is we are now allowing girls to have access to the same program, with other girls.

Archived