SASS Wire Forum

OK...I Need Some Input On Uniforms.

Subdeacon Joe

A FB friend was asking about the timeframe for this photograph:
122486025_10218668267165985_8347841151824553150_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=_BOhM9sSlQcAX-MMjlu&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=c14d44288ff4f642b38e2b5d02b6ce8b&oe=5FBC18F2

I'm thinking after 1881, since I think those are the 1881 pattern helmets.  

Found this, which may be of interest to some: https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/2429/SSHT-0030_Lo_res.pdf?sequence=2

I noticed the 4 button sack coat but the dress uniform and helmet match the 1881 versions  

The MVM on the sign needs more research.

Really neat picture.

Thanks for sharing 

Definitely 1881helmets and 4 button sacks. The inventories of CW uniforms were extensive and continued to be worn by volunteer units for years after the war. And seeing as how they only got occasional use with the militia it’s no wonder they lasted a long time. They were close enough to current postwar styles to be acceptable. I would say most probably 1890-1902. 
https://www.spanamwar.com/9thmass.html

That's all I have time for right now. Gotta head into town.

Definitely 1881helmets and 4 button sacks. The inventories of CW uniforms were extensive and continued to be worn by volunteer units for years after the war. And seeing as how they only got occasional use with the militia it’s no wonder they lasted a long time. They were close enough to current postwar styles to be acceptable. I would say most probably 1890-1902. 
https://www.spanamwar.com/9thmass.html

That's all I have time for right now. Gotta head into town.

By the way....they’re Irishmen. ;)

7 hours ago, Okiepan said:

I noticed the 4 button sack coat but the dress uniform and helmet match the 1881 versions  

The MVM on the sign needs more research.

Really neat picture.

Thanks for sharing 

Massachusets/Minnesota/Maine (?) Volunteer Militia :unsure:

23 minutes ago, Okiepan said:

Not CW sack coats wrong collar 

1872 issue Collar but 4 instead of 5 buttons. Militias had a lot of variation in there uniforms.

I don't mean any ethnic slur.  The company bar (slop chute) seems to be run by Corporal Dooly and Private O'brien.  A couple of good Irish fellas.  One of them seems to be pouring a beer, back-left.  That says Massachusetts to my twisted mind.

33 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

I don't mean any ethnic slur.  The company bar (slop chute) seems to be run by Corporal Dooly and Private O'brien.  A couple of good Irish fellas.  One of them seems to be pouring a beer, back-left.  That says Massachusetts to my twisted mind.

The person who posed it in the FB group said it was Massachusetts Volunteer Militia.

Archived