SASS Wire Forum

Electronic Ear plugs ??

wyliefoxEsquire

I am looking to get electronic ear plugs.  The type that fit in the ear.

A quick google search came up with

SportEAR GhostStryke Electronic Ear Plugs (NRR 30 dB) Pair

3M PELTOR   In-Ear Electronic Ear Plug, 30 dB Noise Reduction Rating NRR, Dielectric Yes

Walker's Silencer Rechargeable Earbuds — NRR 23dB, Model# GWP-SF-SLCRR

I would appreciate your comments.

thanks

-wylie

I tried electronic ear muffs for Cowboy but they didn’t work out well.  When you are spotting the ear muff cuts out the sound of the bullet going off but it doesn’t recover fast enough to hear the ding. Just my humble experience with them.

I have the walkers and they work just okay. At a cowboy match, there’s usually so much noise all the time that they’re turned off most of the time. Not much different tha regular ear plugs. For practicing by yourself, they’re great. Just my experience. 
laramie. 

I use the Walker Silencers.  I love them.  I have a problem getting the standard foam plugs to fit in my right ear.  The Walkers have a foam piece that is small enough to fit and doesn't fall out of my ear.  

We use the Walker’s and like them.  They come with several foam sizes so you can choose what fits.  My wife has the rechargeable ones, and she likes them for scorekeeping, although I have heard from one friend that his no longer last all the way through a match on a charge.  Luckily they make pretty good plugs when they die.

My replaceable battery ones last several matches on a battery.  

My only complaint would be the wind can get irritating and run your battery down amplifying it.

The first pair of electronic muffs I bought (quite a while ago) shut off completely on loud noises, and seemed to take a second or two to come back, so wouldn’t work well for a match.  The current technology mutes the loud noises but you can still hear conversations.  I have some MSA muffs that work the same way, just not with a cowboy hat.  

21 minutes ago, Crisco said:

We use the Walker’s and like them.  They come with several foam sizes so you can choose what fits.  My wife has the rechargeable ones, and she likes them for scorekeeping, although I have heard from one friend that his no longer last all the way through a match on a charge.  Luckily they make pretty good plugs when they die.

My replaceable battery ones last several matches on a battery.  

My only complaint would be the wind can get irritating and run your battery down amplifying it.

The first pair of electronic muffs I bought (quite a while ago) shut off completely on loud noises, and seemed to take a second or two to come back, so wouldn’t work well for a match.  The current technology mutes the loud noises but you can still hear conversations.  I have some MSA muffs that work the same way, just not with a cowboy hat.  

+1

I have Westone defend ear,   Not quite as good of protection as straight solid plugs.   I would guess that’s true of all electronic plugs if you compare nrr.  They are nice as the electronic modules are a separate unit from the actual ear plug. Allows you to swap out modules in event of a failure also allows new plugs to be purchased without electronics.   They have a quick enough response that I can easily hear the ding.  I offer can hear a tick on the edge that other counters miss.  

I prefer electronic muffs over solid plugs, but they don’t work so well with a cowboy hat.  Also our cowboy loads tend to be quieter than regular range work.  

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I tried electronic ear muffs for Cowboy but they didn’t work out well.  When you are spotting the ear muff cuts out the sound of the bullet going off but it doesn’t recover fast enough to hear the ding. Just my humble experience with them.

You shouldn't be depending on hearing a ding to count misses anyway. If you don't SEE a miss it's a HIT; sound should have no bearing.

I tried the Walker version and goT tired of changing batteries and they were not comfortable.  My buddy had a pair and the earbud stub snapped off while changing the battery.  I then tried the Peltor rechargeable version and have found myself driving home from the range with them still in my ears.  The AA batteries that do the recharging lasted over 18 months before needing to be replaced.  They’re pricey, but you get what you pay for.  I find they are fast enough that I can hear the targets ring.  https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-Tactical-Earplug-TEP-100-1-Kit-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3292682142&rt=rud

I have a pair of the 3m plugs ... Mine are the TEP-100 instead of the EEP-100 (your 3M link). 

They look the same to me except for the color (mine are black).

They have their own batteries but come with a little box that allows "those" batteries to be charged.

When you aren't using them you plug them into their slots in the box and that keep them charged up.

I paid some bucks for them but really couldn't get them set up to suit me and they got put away for a long while. 

They make all kinds of different styles of foam plugs that they plug into (to fit better into your ear) .,. and I finally got a bag of some big grey ones and then they worked pretty good. You put them in your ear ... push a button one time to turn them on and then push the button again (on each) to adjust the volume. 

They aren't "that" bad but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on them again. For cowboy I prefer plain foam plugs. 

I bought them to shoot USPSA ... the power factor there is a lot higher than what we shoot (like when your buddy is shooting an open gun) and they were simply an alternative to having to always use electronic ear muffs. 

The electronic ear muffs don't always work if you are wearing something besides a ball cap ... but ... it is a lot easier to just plop on a set of muffs instead of getting these screwed into the side of your head just right. 

IMHO ... anyhow ...  

The Etymotic Gunsport 15 ear buds have worked great for me.  

They use #10 hearing aid batteries that will last about two weeks in the buds.  They are analog, not digital, so they filter the loud noises and never give you a cutoff.  You can still hear voice commands while the loud gunshots are reduced in volume.  

Here is a link https://www.etymotic.com/gsp15.html

One thing about zinc air batteries, ie hearing aid batteries.  They only last about 2 weeks after activation.  Doesn’t really matter how much they are used either.  If you use them daily then it matters on battery size, but if it’s a day here and then maybe next weekend, battery size has almost no bearing on how long they function.  

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You shouldn't be depending on hearing a ding to count misses anyway. If you don't SEE a miss it's a HIT; sound should have no bearing.

I use both sight and sound.

11 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Sometimes the targets are "dead" and you can hardly hear the ding especially with BP shooters. I use both sight and sound.

If you pay attention you should be able to see exactly where 95% of all the shots fired hit the target.  A good spotter can easily see edge hits. 

It is really frustrating when you are 100% sure the shooter hit edged the target but the other two are relying on sound to discern a hit and call a miss instead and the TO doesn't wants to call a down range so that you can show the other spotters the missing paint.

Alternate Image 1 Been using these for a few years now and find that I am turning them off completely due to the background noise at shoots.  They work great, but when on the line the silence is what I really want.  When off the line I turn them back on.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1018342050?pid=638445&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Ear+%26+Eye+Protection&utm_content=638445&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt6C_pYbW7AIVohx9Ch2XYwxXEAQYASABEgJTQvD_BwE 

8 hours ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

Mine always seem to break within a year.  Finally gave up on them.

Pete, are referring to any particular brand or model?  I am following this topic closely as I have an interest but no experience.

I now have two different versions of electronic in-the-ear hearing protection devices.  I wear hearing aids on a daily basis, and my hearing loss is to the point now that if I put normal ear plugs in my ear, I cannot hear voices.  I found I was constantly pulling my earplug out to hear what someone was saying to me, which defeats the whole purpose of wearing earplugs at the range.  I have a pair of Walker Silencers, which work well.  They take batteries (a different type then my everyday hearing aids, or course).  I find with my hearing loss I have to turn them up all the way, which can cause some distortion of voices, but I can live with that.  I also get some feedback occasionally, but find that if I turn in down a little bit feedback is eliminated.  The left and right have separate on/off switches and volume controls right on the earbuds.  They are comfortable to wear.

The other set I have is from AXIL.  They have bluetooth capability, which the Walker's do not.  They have buds for in the ear, then a wire connecting the left and right, and the controls are on two very small boxes between the two (one set of controls for bluetooth; one for hearing protection)  Both can be used at the same time.  These are comfortable as well, and seem to stay in place a bit better than the Walker's.  They have the added benefit of being rechargeable, which I didn't think would be a big deal, but I prefer it over having to replace batteries.  The sound quality is comparable to the Walker's.

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Pete, are referring to any particular brand or model?  I am following this topic closely as I have an interest but no experience.

I have tried several over the years.  There may be good ones out there but I haven’t been fortunate enough to find one.

I have used ESP's, Electronic Shooting Protection brand for many years. Mine are the lower grade digital. Work great

Archived