SASS Wire Forum

Gunfight

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

You know, ever since that movie came out, people been commenting on Doc doing three shots from that double barrel shotgun.

I just tried to keep count, and only counting actual "I saw the smoke coming out of the barrel" gunshots, Doc fired a minimum of 22 rounds from his two revolvers.

No one seemed to think that was strange. But them three shotgun rounds - HOW COULD HE DO THAT??!!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

You know, ever since that movie came out, people been commenting on Doc doing three shots from that double barrel shotgun.

I just tried to keep count, and only counting actual "I saw the smoke coming out of the barrel" gunshots, Doc fired a minimum of 22 rounds from his two revolvers.

No one seemed to think that was strange. But them three shotgun rounds - HOW COULD HE DO THAT??!!?!?!?

I saw an explanation once that said the director was trying to show the same shots from multiple angles.  

30 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I saw an explanation once that said the director was trying to show the same shots from multiple angles.  

This.

I think Cyrus is probably right , here. It is kind of like watching the first few minutes of The Wild bunch. We see many discharges from different angle and the round count goes over the moon. I once watched the big gunfight at the beginning of TWB on a DVR, frame by frame. It took over three hours. I was exhausted at the end and I had seen some amazing editing and camera work.

Imis

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I think that may explain Kevin Costner's large capacity revolver in Open Range, but Doc must have fired twenty or so rounds at Ike in the photo studio from his two revolvers, after firing a like number in the main gunfight.  Film maker's license, I guess.

And despite all those shots toward Ike, none of them hit that humongous mirror across from the windows.....:P

LL

I was going to post this as a separate thread, but speaking of things that might have been done better... I was re-reading Louis L'amour's book "The First Fast Draw", in which Cullen Baker figures out how to draw a Colt's Dragoon from his belt so he can outshoot a bunch of his adversaries. When he has the Dragoon taken away, and later confronts a Reconstructionist Army colonel, who just happens to have another Dragoon on his desk, Baker grabs that, plus a Spencer carbine.  What I can't figure out is why the colonel would have a Dragoon, instead of a M1860 Colt's Army, and there must have been a number of those and/or either M1851 Navy's or Confederate copies around.  Certainly, any of those other guns would have been faster to draw than a Dragoon.  The book was written in 1958, published in 1959, so maybe Louis wasn't as quite up on his guns, or just wanted something different. In some of his other books, he has some ".44 caliber" double derringers, whereas Remington was making their O/U in .41rf.  Later in the story, Baker rides off to the West and changes his name...to what we are never told, but it puts to the lie that Cullen Baker was killed in Texas.  Literary license? Probably.  Many a man and some women changed their names. "What was your name in the States?"

Did Butch Cassidy die in South America?  Or did he wind up selling real estate in Washington or Oregon, as claimed by his sister?  Speaking of Tombstone, did Wyatt really kill Curly Bill Brocius?  Or, as some have it, Curly Bill die of the measles in Montana, much later?

"I think it is time for me medication. It tastes terrible!" :D

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Not speaking about these specific scenes but I like it when they show a couple of times shooters reloading before resuming shooting. With cowboy or modern guns. Just enough to demonstrate that at times the shooter needs to reload. But they don't need to show them reload everytime you figure they'd need to.

It's similar to when two revolvers became the norm in SASS instead of shooting one and then doing a full reload. Whether it's a movie or SASS match it's more fun watching more shooting instead of watching someone reload especially with single action revolvers. It's quicker to throw in a few mag changes for the modern gun movies.

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What I can't figure out is why the colonel would have a Dragoon, instead of a M1860 Colt's Army, and there must have been a number of those and/or either M1851 Navy's or Confederate copies around.  Certainly, any of those other guns would have been faster to draw than a Dragoon.

Why would the colonel have a dragoon when there were newer and "better" guns available?

The same reason that in this age of "newer and better" plastic fantastic, I carry a 1911. I like it better.

The same reason that in the age of metallic cartridges James Butler Hickok carried cap and ball revolvers. He liked them better.

Archived