SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter

Cactus Jack Calder

63B74C7F-711C-4598-8EBE-5E77A67186BF.jpeg.793c06df195b53abd9dd49aba9ef52d5.jpeg

This is my gunfighter he was carved from a block of wood like the one shown. How did he get such a tall hat you ask? 
I glued a piece of dowel on top. I will paint him in the next few days and post another picture then. 

Question: Does anyone else on this board carve, or paint, or draw? Anything else?

Post a picture. Show us your interesting talent. 

See you in the funnies!

Cactus Jack

I can’t get rid of the upside down and sideways picture. I choose “edit” and it goes to “edit topic“.

Very frustrating.

CJ

Ha I finally got it done! 

Ok, 

I know you’ve all been waiting with baited breath. Here he is the Gunfighter, all painted.

I haven’t named him yet. Suggestions will be  accepted. I need to work on his beard and hair. I have to learn how to highlight them. Flat color looks like a bad die job. 

Badlands Bob,

Thank you. 

Those ornaments are beautiful.
The block I started with was 1.5”x1.5”x4”.
It might be a little small to chuck up in a lathe and turn.

CJ

D7D5C3A3-691D-4AAD-8440-D51623201EFE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I have to learn how to highlight them. Flat color looks like a bad die job. 

Try a technique called "dry brushing." Dip a brush in the contrasting color you want to use then blot most of the paint off it with a cloth until it will just leave light fine streak when used. Experiment with some scrap until you refine your style. A lighter and a darker color should make his beard pop.

8 minutes ago, Doc X said:

Try a technique called "dry brushing." Dip a brush in the contrasting color you want to use then blot most of the paint off it with a cloth until it will just leave light fine streak when used. Experiment with some scrap until you refine your style. A lighter and a darker color should make his beard pop.

Thank you. I’ve heard of dry brushing. I’ve tried it but not mastered it yet. I will be practicing it on scrap as you suggested.

I had tried it on another carving and the results were not satisfactory. So practice, practice, practice is the order of the day.

CJ

Just now, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Thank you. I’ve heard of dry brushing. I’ve tried it but not mastered it yet. I will be practicing it on scrap as you suggested.

I had tried it on another carving and the results were not satisfactory. So practice, practice, practice is the order of the day.

I use it a bunch in weathering model railroad equipment and it does take some time to master. Look for a soft long bristle brush and wipe it mostly dry. You want to really have to push to transfer paint that'll give you a soft/understated effect and work in on direction only to give a whisker look. Good luck!

Check out reapermini.com their forums are a gold mine of information on miniature painting.

3 hours ago, Doc X said:

I use it a bunch in weathering model railroad equipment and it does take some time to master. Look for a soft long bristle brush and wipe it mostly dry. You want to really have to push to transfer paint that'll give you a soft/understated effect and work in on direction only to give a whisker look. Good luck!

Doc X, 

Thank you. I have been using a short stiff brush. I thought that I’d been told to use a brush like that. I’ll find an appropriate brush and start practicing.

CJ

Archived