SASS Wire Forum

Cz coach gun, best gunsmith?

I have the CZ Sharptail from Longhunter. He made it very nice, everyone who has shot or handled it has been impressed. It is reasonably priced, with his mods.

Imis

I have a Stoeger from long hunter. The shells don’t fall out easily. When I tilt it back to help gravity it closes unless I hold it open and it’s hard to pull them out when I have to hold it just right to keep it from closing.

I was using a ttn with hammers so I thought by switching to a gun I didn’t have to cock I would save some time. 
I think they too too much off because it constantly wants to close.

A knowledgeable gunsmith can change the "timing" so that the gun will open wide enough for the shells to fall out much better and be much easier to load.

Kiowa Nate Jones taught me that but it is not an easy mod because you must be very precise in how to reface the part.  A good machinist could do it.

Contact Nate or discuss with Longhunter.

People are talking about two different shotgun actions in this topic.  Don't confuse the different designs. 

The "hammer" gun will fall fully open with little or resistance because the open action does not cock hammers. Just a simple hinge.

The "hammerless" gun rally on the opening of the gun to cock the internal hammers.  So it will always have some to a lot of resistance on opening.  Most are designed to rebound to less than full opening.   It would take an experienced shotgun smith to lighten springs and retime the opening angle and still be reliable and not self-destruct. 

There are NO shotguns CAS ready Out-Of-The-Box.  Close but not quite.  They ALL will need a certain amount of prep to be truly user friendly and more prep to be Top End competition ready.  Most all Hammer Doubles will need the Main Springs and Top Lever Springs worked on to be really User Friendly.

Some will work, but may well be frustrating.

17 hours ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

I have a Stoeger from long hunter. The shells don’t fall out easily. When I tilt it back to help gravity it closes unless I hold it open and it’s hard to pull them out when I have to hold it just right to keep it from closing.

I was using a ttn with hammers so I thought by switching to a gun I didn’t have to cock I would save some time. 
I think they too too much off because it constantly wants to close.

You probably know this but STS and AA hulls are the only ones I've found to reliably shuck out of most doubles and I check all mine with a shell checker even factory shells.

Randy

I am with Warden.

I shoot a CZ Hammer Classic and it falls open very well, shucks anything other than aluminum very well, ribbed or smooth. Springs are not bad, a single wipe of the left hand will do it.

Only problem it’s given me is the collets around the rebounding firing pins are prone to backing out under recoil and causing light strikes. Use loctite , problem solved.

Chert Rock

50 minutes ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

I am with Warden.

I shoot a CZ Hammer Classic and it falls open very well, shucks anything other than aluminum very well, ribbed or smooth. Springs are not bad, a single wipe of the left hand will do it.

Only problem it’s given me is the collets around the rebounding firing pins are prone to backing out under recoil and causing light strikes. Use loctite , problem solved.

Chert Rock

I'm no where a competitive shooter and I can get a lot of testimony that will agree.  Here is a test I  made of running AA and Super X, Remington Nitro and Gun Club.  The shotgun is my box stock CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun.  

21 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

If you want one slicked up Longhunter has the CZ and Stoeger, I don’t know what their inventory is like but you can always call’em.

Ya that^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 806-342-0000

My CZ from Longhunter shucks AA, reloaded AA and ribbed Federals just fine. I shot 10 stages straight with reloaded AA and nary a hiccup from the shotgun....minor rifle hiccups and a pistol went down but the CZ was perfect.

I shoot a Stoeger and TOZ-66. I have honed and polished the chambers of both. I've found that STS hulls shuck cleanly out of both, but AAs don't always. I bought a checker from Coyote Carson here in CA and found that all new boxes of AAs have 5-10 that don't fall free from the checker, so use the other end of the tool to work the ends a bit. Problem solved.

I called Long Hunter about three weeks ago and he just happened to have six CZ sharptails coming in.  Five were spoken for but he let me grab the 6th.   He worked his magic and it is supposed to arrive at my dealer tomorrow.  I will post a review when I get it. 

Long hunter must be the man to go too for a sharptail. I wish I would’ve waited. The Rifleman reviewed it when it came out perfect for SASS. Not so much it took 2 men and a boy to open it my friend had to break it open on his knee. I checked with 3 cowboy gunsmith, one didn’t call me back, another told me to sell it that would never be a cowboy shotgun and I sent it to another well known cowboy gunsmith he had it for a couple sent it back, apologized and said it was as good as he could do. It wasn’t that much better so I sold it. Didn’t want sell it to a fellow shooter so I put it on consignment at a a lgs. The good news is I’m left handed an the 87 I purchased actually works better for me. But the CZ is a solid beautiful shotgun.

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a Cowboy shotgun, I would find an SKB 100 in good condition and get a good action job.  Then the search for the perfect Cowboy SxS shotgun will be over and you can get to practicing with it.

To make a CZ Sharptail Coachgun SASS ready I did the following:

Lighten hammer springs.  Lighten lever spring,  lighten sear springs,   Shorten cocking rods to change timing so the shotgun stays fully open.  Lightly funnel chamber mouths.  Reshape the top of the extractor into a diamond shape. 

Used springs from a generic English light duty Wolff spring pack for hammer springs.  Used springs from a Home Depot 85 spring spring kit for lever and sear springs. 

Just takes a little time and patience. 

Very easy shotgun to work on!  

Archived