SASS Wire Forum

Coyotes

What would you all recommend to use as a deterrent against coyote attacks?  I live in a highly urbanized area, not in the countryside, and I walk my dog, a Cocker Spaniel every day in the afternoons.  There have been sightings of coyotes in broad daylight in my subdivison and the wild rabbits population has virtually disappeared.  Sooting one would be a ticket to jail.  Would pepper spray/mace, etc. help? 

Before I retired I had to use pepper spray on several dogs over the years. Usually effective, if you get them on the nose and eyes, but not always. I have heard of folks using a squirt bottle with ammonia in it on stray dogs too.

Pepper spray can be effective against coyotes, your dog, and you.  Any wild animal that attacks people walking near their house deserves to be shot.  

Start walking with a stout walking stick.  An air horn may annoy neighbors but will also alert them that you be in need.

We have a lot of coyotes from time to time. There don't seem to be many right now.  I suspect mountain lion have run them out. 

They are usually cowardly and show no threat to humans.  But, they get urbanized and sometimes interbred with dogs or even wolves and become something else.

Maybe a power air gun?  Or gun with silencer? 

Consider your options.  Going to jail for protecting yourself and your dog might actually be a small price to pay.

Would 12 jurors actually convict you of a crime for killing an attacking coyote?  It would be your word against the coyote

as to who started the fight..... ;)

If you want to carry some protection spray, I think the Bear spray and the Hornet spray are good suggestions.

..........Widder

5 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SABRE RED PROTECTOR Spray is recommended by THIS SITE

Thanks for the responses guys.  PaleWolf, I tried getting all of these but none of them can be shipped to my address.  Probably because it's hazardous stuff.  I guess I'll try to get it from a gun store.

I’ve heard people who have lived around aggressive coyotes refer to dogs on a leash as the coyotes’, ‘snack on a string’.

Coyotes are intelligent. I watched a pair try to execute a pretty sharp ambush on my pup, and the only way they could have been ready for it was by patterning our morning routine. It was pure luck that kept my pup from being breakfast. Now I take the dogs out in the a.m. with a spotlight and a Ruger Single Six 

When I was in Pensacola, coyotes began to hit neighborhoods. Pets disappearing, sightings, etc.  The pros used traps and bow hunting to thin the pack. 

Wouldn't  put much faith in pepper spray.  In my last line of work, I had several opportunities to use pepper spray on fighting dogs with zero positive results.

I live in a subdivision that backs up to a 400 acre cattle pasture with a quarry behind it. Last week a new-born calf was killed and eaten overnight by coyotes. Now keep a shotgun by the back door where I let the dog out in the fenced in yard. Also always carry a pistol when walking my dog.  Self-protection is a necessary thing. Not too far from here, they have bear sightings. When the cats start disappearing, the coyotes have populated. A couple of folks will hunt them on the quarry property occasionally. One winter they killed about 70.  

I would carry a long staff, or an aluminum baseball bat. Perhaps some spray, as well. A coyote can snatch a dog, that is right with you, in a matter of seconds, and be heading away from you before you know what happened. My good friend experienced that, not long ago.

I would also carry a pistol, just in case, as an option, in case things seem to be escalating.

A coyote, that is too aggressive, might have rabies, since most don't mess with humans that much.

That can be also said of aggressive dogs.

Fear of rabies, in an aggressive animal, can be a defense, if you have to shoot it, in a neighborhood.

We have to stand in the gap of time, until the law enforcement folks get there. No insult to the authorities, but when seconds count, the police are minutes away. A heck of a lot can happen in a few seconds. Trust me, you do not want to have to take that series of rabies shots in the belly for a few days.

10 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We have a lot of coyotes from time to time. There don't seem to be many right now.  I suspect mountain lion have run them out. 

They are usually cowardly and show no threat to humans.  But, they get urbanized and sometimes interbred with dogs or even wolves and become something else.

Maybe a power air gun?  Or gun with silencer? 

Nope Warden. The Bigfoots have them all trained to be coon hounds

Suppressors/silencers, are a big item now. Carry a semi-automatic .22 with a suppressor/silencer....if you can stand the price, and the red-tape to get one.

Just have it as a backup, for your staff/baseball bat, and your bear spray.

It is always preferable to have multiple systems for self defense.

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

U must live in a Red State, USA.

RED thru and thru..... :D

We have a few varmints that are open season, year round, NO limit.   If I'm not mistaken, coyote's are on that list.

No minimum caliber requirements.   Day or night killings have no restrictions.   Night hunts are not uncommon.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

RED thru and thru..... :D

We have a few varmints that are open season, year round, NO limit.   If I'm not mistaken, coyote's are on that list.

No minimum caliber requirements.   Day or night killings have no restrictions.   Night hunts are not uncommon.

..........Widder

Here as well. There is a season for trapping but you are allowed to kill them if they are harming OR ABOUT TO HARM PROPERTY. Shoot on site is the norm. Kaya and her .243 have proved particularly effective.

My son had a coyote get way too close to his Great Pyrenees, that he had in his back yard. He lives in the country.

I guess the coyote did not realize that the Great Pyrenees is big, and has no fear, and is not tolerant, and is territorial, and...is nocturnal as well.

The battle was loud enough to wake up my son and his wife.

They held services for the coyote in the morning.

They had several services for skunks, over the years, as well.

I live in a fairly rural area of southern Oklahoma and if a coyote was encountered it about has to be rabid.   On walks I carry a hideout pistol and a 6ft long walking staff made of tough black locust.   Matter of fact, this is my same go to when walking at my daughters in Plano, TX.     Canes and staffs used to be the first order of defense against a lot of two and four legged varmints and for good reason.  Very effective if you train a little.

As a side note....the State dog of Texas, is the Blue Lacy, named after the Lacy family that moved to Texas in 1858, and bred/developed the dog...is a mixture of greyhound, coyote, "scent-hound", and perhaps some English shepherd as well.

It is said the Lacy brothers originally bred the dog to help work the family's herds of hogs....but the herd instinct, in the dog, also worked toward cattle as well.

W.K.

36 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

His living in a "highly urbanized area" doesn't deter you guys from recommending carrying a gun? Ooops sorry I shot your car but a coyote looked at me!

Not in the slightest. I do too.

Archived