SASS Wire Forum

Ambush at Cavern Cove is In The Books

Tequila Shooter

This was my first SE Regional, Ambush at Cavern Cove and it won’t be my last.  It looked like everyone had a good time and the range was terrific.  We had a little rain on Saturday, but with most of the stages were covered so it wasn’t too wet for the shooters.  A big thanks to all who worked so hard to make this shoot so successful, yes even you @Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 ;) :D.  

Knot and I are lucky enough to travel for many years to a lot to different matches across the country; even with me still working. So we see all kinds of match setups and see and hear what the CAS shooters actually like in a match. I’m talking about the 80% that pay the match and SASS bills that keep this sport going.

Knot and I really enjoyed the Southeast Regional match! The North Alabama Regulators committee had it right! It was apparent they worked as a team to get the job done. When the initial banquet facility had to cancel due to Covid, the committee made a great decision to find another facility - it was spot on! I’m glad they were able to find a good banquet facility with great food choices. With unknown weather, especially the forecast showing no rain (then we had rain), everyone was able to dress up and mingle within the large facility.

The range and match set up was awesome. There were permanent cowboy stages with cover. (Note that there are facilities that can’t setup permanent stages due to other shooting disciplines, but those other clubs still put on great matches too).

The SE Regional match had lots of vendors and good placement on the range for them. The target distance/spacing along with scenario options allowed for smooth runs for all shooting styles. There was a mixture of target distances without becoming an aiming match Bravo! Well done!!!

There are many clubs that setup their targets and scenarios so the shooters walk away having fun at the match; those clubs actually understand it’s about catering to the masses and not just a small percentage of shooters. The SE Regional put on by the North Alabama Regulators is one of those prime examples for establishing a fun match. There are many other large matches we attended the past 7 weeks that get it too!

Thanks for putting on a great shoot North Alabama Regulators! Thanks to all of the volunteers ... well done!

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

This was my first SE Regional, Ambush at Cavern Cove and it won’t be my last.  It looked like everyone had a good time and the range was terrific.  We had a little rain on Saturday, but with most of the stages were covered so it wasn’t too wet for the shooters.  A big thanks to all who worked so hard to make this shoot so successful, yes even you @Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 ;) :D.  

Rain? You mean what we in Alabama call a heavy mist or light drizzle at worst? ;)

1 hour ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

Knot and I are lucky enough to travel for many years to a lot to different matches across the country; even with me still working. So we see all kinds of match setups and see and hear what the CAS shooters actually like in a match. I’m talking about the 80% that pay the match and SASS bills that keep this sport going.

Knot and I really enjoyed the Southeast Regional match! The North Alabama Regulators committee had it right! It was apparent they worked as a team to get the job done. When the initial banquet facility had to cancel due to Covid, the committee made a great decision to find another facility - it was spot on! I’m glad they were able to find a good banquet facility with great food choices. With unknown weather, especially the forecast showing no rain (then we had rain), everyone was able to dress up and mingle within the large facility.

The range and match set up was awesome. There were permanent cowboy stages with cover. (Note that there are facilities that can’t setup permanent stages due to other shooting disciplines, but those other clubs still put on great matches too).

The SE Regional match had lots of vendors and good placement on the range for them. The target distance/spacing along with scenario options allowed for smooth runs for all shooting styles. There was a mixture of target distances without becoming an aiming match Bravo! Well done!!!

There are many clubs that setup their targets and scenarios so the shooters walk away having fun at the match; those clubs actually understand it’s about catering to the masses and not just a small percentage of shooters. The SE Regional put on by the North Alabama Regulators is one of those prime examples for establishing a fun match. There are many other larges matches we attended the past 7 weeks that get it too!

Thanks for putting on a great shoot North Alabama Regulators! Thanks to all of the volunteers ... well done!

Thanks! We busted our backsides for y'all. I'm the contact for the banquet venue we went with and I'll be sure to pass along your compliments, they bent over backwards to help us put on a good banquet.

It's been a few years since I've had the pleasure shooting at Ambush.  I have to say that I am really impressed with the range improvements since my last visit.  Branchwater Jack,  you done good!  The stages were well planned, no p-traps, gunfighter friendly with options galore.  I warned Shirttail Bess about the hanging BP smoke and she got a schooling yesterday morning from what she told me...so happy she was able to experience it!

Thanks to everyone that hand a hand in the Southeast Regional at Ambush!  Well done!

I'll be back  :D.

The North Alabama Regulators put on another fine match.  I love the improvements to the range.  I kept telling everyone that it always rains at Alabama but they wouldn't believe me.  Just bring your slicker and come on.  We had a great time shooting.  The stages were well laid out and nothing too complicated that this old Gunfighter couldn't remember.  They even had the posses separated by a stage.  This meant that we never had to wait on a slow posse to finish up.  Thanks for all the great work NAR.  Did I mention all the improvements to the camping area.  New wiring and water lines.  Sewer available on some sites.  New improved bath house.  I wonder whatever happened to Uncle Frank's outhouse mouse?  Getting pretty fancy. 

See ya in the Spring.

Badlands Bob

7 hours ago, Yazoo City Gal said:

It's been a few years since I've had the pleasure shooting at Ambush.  I have to say that I am really impressed with the range improvements since my last visit.  Branchwater Jack,  you done good!  The stages were well planned, no p-traps, gunfighter friendly with options galore.  I warned Shirttail Bess about the hanging BP smoke and she got a schooling yesterday morning from what she told me...so happy she was able to experience it!

Thanks to everyone that hand a hand in the Southeast Regional at Ambush!  Well done!

I'll be back  :D.

Yazoo, you can't imagine how great it was to see you. Come back now, ya hear?

10 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Tequila Shooter It was great to 'expose' you to the goin's-on of your first regional. Tell that pretty wife of yours that she needs to pretend to know me the next time she sees me. :D I caught mine in a bear trap. What's your story? Lol. I hope to see you next year!

I enjoyed this year's SE Regional.  Branchwater Jack wrote a great match....it flowed well, no P traps and the target placements were very good.  The new range owners have done a great amount of work in making upgrades to the electrical and water hook ups for the camping areas.  Many thanks to everyone involved in putting on the match.  I'll be back next spring for the state match.

Kajun

Dingo and I had a great time at Ambush. The range and props looked awesome. The stages were well written and fun to shoot, many were shooters choice for which gun and where to start.

A great big thank you to everyone that worked so hard so we could come and shoot. It takes a ton of work to put on a match this big, especially during Covid times. Y’all did an awesome job. See you next year.

What everybody said.  The work that went into the match and the facilities were obvious, despite the obstacles (last-minute cancelling of the banquet venue, rain...it's in the mountains.  It's gonna rain.  Deal with it - and they did.)  The match ran like silk - obviously, much thought and effort toward the shooters' enjoyment went into it.  A heartfelt thanks to the PosseMs of posse 4 for awarding me the spirit of the game.  It meant the world to me, especially after Posse 4 made my job so easy.  This was only our 2nd year at this event, but we've already put a down payment on next year & are already looking forward to it.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

Thanks! We busted our backsides for y'all. I'm the contact for the banquet venue we went with and I'll be sure to pass along your compliments, they bent over backwards to help us put on a good banquet.

The whole match was a BLAST and the Jackson Center did an OUTSTANDING job!!! Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make a great match!  

GREAT BIG HUGS!!!

Scarlett

PS...Go ahead and put me down for Vendor Spot #1 2021! Oh, and I will be a Match Sponsor again, too! :wub:

17 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I enjoyed this year's SE Regional.  Branchwater Jack wrote a great match....it flowed well, no P traps and the target placements were very good.  The new range owners have done a great amount of work in making upgrades to the electrical and water hook ups for the camping areas.  Many thanks to everyone involved in putting on the match.  I'll be back next spring for the state match.

Kajun

Always a pleasure, KK. Thanks for coming!

17 hours ago, Dingo and Sixgun said:

Dingo and I had a great time at Ambush. The range and props looked awesome. The stages were well written and fun to shoot, many were shooters choice for which gun and where to start.

A great big thank you to everyone that worked so hard so we could come and shoot. It takes a ton of work to put on a match this big, especially during Covid times. Y’all did an awesome job. See you next year.

Hope to see y'all again soon!

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

The whole match was a BLAST and the Jackson Center did an OUTSTANDING job!!! Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make a great match!  

GREAT BIG HUGS!!!

Scarlett

PS...Go ahead and put me down for Vendor Spot #1 2021! Oh, and I will be a Match Sponsor again, too! :wub:

Thanks Scarlett!

Rain was only 1/2 as bad as last year. Had a great time. Stages were just right. Not a lot of questions and no p traps. Loved camping at the range. You'll did a great job.

22 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

@Tequila Shooter It was great to 'expose' you to the goin's-on of your first regional. Tell that pretty wife of yours that she needs to pretend to know me the next time she sees me. :D I caught mine in a bear trap. What's your story? Lol. I hope to see you next year!

I got mine after being punched in the head at Carlos and Charlie’s. :D

Good job everyone. Hard to put on a shoot of this magnitude.  You all done great. Range looks great and it shows how much work has gone on over the last year.

The Sass southeast regional was a great match, their setup allowed shooters to do what works best for your game.   Targets weren't as close as Gunsmoke, but they were big & close  enough to let a shooter really whale away.      Watching the front sight is always a good idea...

A big Thank you to Buck D Law for inviting us down every time we saw him. Only took  ten years for me to squeeze it into the schedule.  

Stages were setup well,  the covered stages and covered load-unload areas kept our guns mostly dry thru a pretty good rain storm  ( Rained all day )

The range is an exceptional venue for their state & regional matches.   Very impressed with every part of their match,   ie:  Registration, warm up, side match, main match,  dinners,  awards, everything was well organized and flowed smoothly.   The banquet was a great facility with a good selection & tasty food.    

I definitely want to shoot this match again.  

After watching Sidekick shoot, I have determined that I  need to practice counting to 10 faster. 

Thank you to all the volunteers that helped with match,  The Ambush at Cavern Cove was as good as a match gets!!!   

3GC

19 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

Rain was only 1/2 as bad as last year. Had a great time. Stages were just right. Not a lot of questions and no p traps. Loved camping at the range. You'll did a great job.

34 minutes ago, Three Gun Cole said:

T thru a pretty good rain storm  ( Rained all day )

3GC

Awwwwwwww, c'mon guys, that was just a heavy mist at worst! ;)

On 10/27/2020 at 6:59 AM, Tn Tombstone said:

Good job everyone. Hard to put on a shoot of this magnitude.  You all done great. Range looks great and it shows how much work has gone on over the last year.

The voice of experience. I certainly remember when you were the match director for Smoky Mountain Shoot-Out. It was always an awesome match. Your words are appreciated.  

This was mine and Copperhead Connie’s first time at Ambush. Outstanding match! Met a plethora of amazing folks. Thanks to everyone that had a hand into making it happen. I didn’t fair so well in the standings being plagued with revolver problems. I had a great time regardless. Guess I’ll just have to come back next year with guns that work and no more excuses :lol:

12 hours ago, Barbatos said:

This was mine and Copperhead Connie’s first time at Ambush. Outstanding match! Met a plethora of amazing folks. Thanks to everyone that had a hand into making it happen. I didn’t fair so well in the standings being plagued with revolver problems. I had a great time regardless. Guess I’ll just have to come back next year with guns that work and no more excuses :lol:

We certainly enjoyed having both of you. Y'all come back now, ya hear! 

Archived