SASS Wire Forum

Fitting barrel band on 92

sassnetguy50

Should this be a Wire topic instead?

The original barrel band on the Rossi 92 was rednecked.  Ordered a new old stock band from a Rossi gunsmith.  The band is pinched narrow and tall at the barrel, wide and short on the wood.  After manipulating the band into place, the screw hole alignment looks good.  Problem: The screw hits the barrel, forcing the screw out of alignment with the threaded hole in the band.  The top third of the screw diameter can be seen through the threaded hole.  

How do you fit a replacement barrel band on a R92? Keep working the band into perfect shape or deepen the screw relief cut in the barrel?   Are these barrels sensitive to the pressure from the band?

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

My Rossi: a bit of material is removed on the underside of the barrel.  With the screw in place, the band cannot slide along the barrel.  

I seem to recall this on my one and only Rossi as well. 

Question, are you sure that is a Rossi part? 
I only ask because I found myself with an extra Winchester 94 band that looked very much nicer than my Rossi band so I tried to see if it would fit. It pretty much looked like what you are explaining that you’re seeing. I never modified the band to make it work. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I seem to recall this on my one and only Rossi as well. 

Question, are you sure that is a Rossi part? 
I only ask because I found myself with an extra Winchester 94 band that looked very much nicer than my Rossi band so I tried to see if it would fit. It pretty much looked like what you are explaining that you’re seeing. I never modified the band to make it work. 

Yes, it is the correct part.  I didn’t cut the package open until starting work on the 92.  When it didn’t bolt on, I thought maybe he sent a band from a different generation.  Checked  with the gunsmith, he said sometimes they’re not a perfect fit.

All of these have to have a notched barrel or there would not be enough space for the screw.  The magazine tube wall is too thin to notch so the space is made from the barrel.

If you start deepening the notch on the barrel you can easily make it too thin to hold the pressure.  It is not good to have pressure vent there.  keep flexing the band until it fits properly.

Duffield

Archived