SASS Wire Forum

This got me thinking of Thanksgiving

Last time I went turkey hunting was at a friends ranch in the Sierra foothills. He had a flock on his property and they would regularly march through his yard. He invited me over and we set up on his front porch. 

After some coffee and conversation we got quiet and I picked up my trusty Remington 870 Wingmaster. (Lord, I miss that gun!) No more than 10-15 minutes later we heard the first gobbles, Right after that about a dozen Toms and a couple Jakes and hens appeared by the fence. I started counting and got above 20 before I stopped. They came across the yard perhaps 10 yards away. I picked out a big Tom but just as I took aim the entire damn flock ducked thier heads to forage!  What the??  I whistled and the Tom stuck up his head, then just as I pulled the trigger, another Tom right behind him stood up as well! A Two-fer!!  Glad my friend hadn't gotten his yet as the limit was one.

We both had wild turkey for Thanksgiving that year.

My 870 was stolen when I was 13-14. I need to find another one. My Mossberg 500 is ok, but not near the balance of my 870. Mine was made in the mid 80’s, had a high gloss finish and was chambered for 2 3/4. 

Archived