SASS Wire Forum

"Tanker" Garands

Trailrider #896

Interesting article in the latest American Rifleman about the original "Tanker" Garand rifle/carbines.  These were basically an M-1 with the barrel shortened to 18-inches, and the operating rod and spring shortened accordingly.  There were two versions developed: the M-1E5 with a folding skeleton stock (later replaced with a standard wood stock), and the T-26, which was similar. One version was developed by the Pacific  Warfare Board (PWB), and the other by Springfield Armory.  Objection was expressed over increased muzzle flash and recoil. Ultimately, the shortened piece was never adopted.

Commercial outfits made up a bunch and sold them under the name "Tanker Garand", although the originals had nothing to do with tanks, but that is how they were marketed.  I acquired one, and after some work to prevent the re-formed operating rod from rubbing on the underside of the barrel (with the action mounted in a vise, I was working the action by hand, when my hand slipped, causing me the ONLY time I ever got "M-1 thumb"), I took I hunting wild boar down to Tennessee.  I was using 180 gr. RNSP bullets with H4831...a load NOT to be used much in regular M-1's or Tanker's due to the slow-burning powder creating much high gas port pressures, which I didn't know about at the time.  Later switched to IMR3031 with 150 gr. bullets as a "standard" load.  With the slower-burning powder, there was quite a bit of "bloom" in the dark woods in which I was hunting, but I don't recall the recoil being anywhere near greater than a standard M-1 with M2 Ball or AP military loads.  A bar-type flash suppressor helped, and I added a long-eye relief 2-1/2x scope mounted over the barrel, ahead of the action, and a recoil pad not-so-much for recoil but to lengthen the stock to fit my long arms.  The piece balanced much better than the standard M-1 Rifle, IIRC.  Interesting piece.

Stay well and Safe, Pards! VOTE!

Back in the 90’s I almost bought a “confirmed legitimate” WW2 Tanker Garand at a gun show. Thankfully an older gentleman that apparently knew all about them walked up and told me that I was about to buy a “fake”. The seller was PO’d , to say the least. 
Fake or not it was still cool. 
I haven’t read the AR article yet but I plan to. 

IIRC the receiver was welded and the guide grooves were milled to remove excess bead. Looked like a good job, and never had a problem with it.  Checked the headspace and everything was spot on. Bought it from the outfit that assembled them.

Stay well and safe!

Turns out the best tanker Garand was the M3 grease gun. :lol:

11 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Beretta had a Garand based model similar to a tanker designated the BM 59.  It was chambered in 7.62 and had an external magazine similar to the M 14. 

I had one for a while. It was a great gun . Magazine were built far better than the M14 

48 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I had one for a while. It was a great gun . Magazine were built far better than the M14 

What was wrong with M14 mags?

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

What was wrong with M14 mags?

The feed lips don’t bend anywhere near as easily and the bodies are stronger on the beretta , just a better design. Also the beretta mags were all made by beretta so the quality control was good. M14 mags depending on who made them can be hit or miss 

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The feed lips don’t bend anywhere near as easily and the bodies are stronger on the beretta , just a better design. Also the beretta mags were all made by beretta so the quality control was good. M14 mags depending on who made them can be hit or miss 

I guess I was lucky. Never had a problem with the M14 mags.

15 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I guess I was lucky. Never had a problem with the M14 mags.

You probably purchased good quality ones. Depends allot on who makes them . Same with AR mags . The polymer mags today have made the AR much more reliable. When I first saw a sig551 with polymer mags and a glock with a polymer frame I had serious doubts. Boy was I wrong  

Archived