SASS Wire Forum

Anyone here ever ride a barrel over Niagara Falls?

Dirty Dan Dawkins

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

You guys are boring. I figured at least one of y’all had been shot out of a cannon, tried to jump an old bridge with a car or flew a biplane into a barn.

Most exciting things I’ve ever done was get pulled on stage by a stripper in Miami, and getting kicked out of a bar in Saginaw for trying to by beer underage.

Does participating in a demolition derby count? Did that in my teens.:blink:

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Does participating in a demolition derby count? Did that in my teens.:blink:

I would think that you would get double points if it was an "unsanctioned" demolition derby.

11 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

You guys are boring. I figured at least one of y’all had been shot out of a cannon, tried to jump an old bridge with a car or flew a biplane into a barn.

Most exciting things I’ve ever done was get pulled on stage by a stripper in Miami, and getting kicked out of a bar in Saginaw for trying to by beer underage.

OH some of us have done that and more however to protect the guilty we have developed a very selective yet severe case of CRS.

14 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Well, it involved a Dutch woman with a mustache, wearing a horned helmet, a mongoose, some hot lube, and a case of Heineken... :o

unnamed.png

Yeah, yeah - same old, same old!:P

4 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Well, it involved a Dutch woman with a mustache, wearing a horned helmet, a mongoose, some hot lube, and a case of Heineken... :o

unnamed.png

Let me guess, y’all went camping?

8 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I wonder if that would fix my back....or at least my flatulence.....

Ithink it would solve the regularity issue...

The OP was about Niagara falls, so mebbe as close as you can get in Middle Tennessee. Outside of Murfreesboro, TN on the Stones River are several mills, complete with millhouse and millponds. While in college we often swam and partied at one with a high bridge, folks jumped into relatively shallow water. One weedend, there had been rain earlier in the week and the river was up, think muddy fast moving water, over the dam and roaring in the old millrace. There was no longer a millwheel, just a concrete chute with water running three feet deep at just under Mach5. A slightly inebriated college boy who looked a lot like a SASS shooter 55 years later decided to dive into the millrace. The water whisked the youth away not to be seen for a gap of 40 to 50 yards downstream. It was cold, it was extremely violent and had I not been in such good physical condition I might still be somewhere down stream, contributing to fish food. No barrel was involved, lessons were learned that day, we still swam and played there but the millrace went off limits for our group.

Imis

Below is a picture of Verducci Hall, a dormitory at San Francisco State University*, just before it was imploded after being damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.  *(At the time of this story, it was San Francisco State College).

Back in the Fall of 1969 I was one of the first residents of the then-new edifice.  I was also pledging Kappa Phi Delta fraternity, and would move into the frat house at the start of the Spring '70 semester.

So, after the Halloween party, I got a ride home to the dorm.  Wide awake and feeling Tequila Brave, I decided I needed to do something fun.  Hm.  Lessee now...

Hey!  I got it!  Jeff, the character in the next room was home - I'll sneak into his room and scare 'im!  After all, I was still wearing my Wizard Suit! 

Dangit... his door was locked.  Wait!  I know!  I'll slip out my fifth-floor window and climb in his!  

Now, mind you, I am a terrible acrophobic; I don't even like standing on a chair to change a light bulb.  But hey - I was Tequila Fearless.  Without a second (or rational first!) thought, out my window I went.  Each room had a ledge outside the window (neither ledge nor a window that would open would be allowed today).  However, there was a sizeable pillar between my room and his, and facing that pillar the ledge narrowed to just a few inches.

No matter.  I was Tequila Courageous!

Wearing the ankle-length magical gown and a pointed hat, and without a single thought of the mortal absurdity of my act, I "Snuffy Smith'd" my way around that pillar.  I did, however, say a silent prayer of gratitude when I discovered that his window was unlocked.  I had not even considered...  

Sliding the glass open, I quietly slipped inside, then closed and locked the window behind me.  

I tiptoed over to Jeff's bed; he was lying on his back, snoring softly.  I pulled my wand from a sleeve and started moving it about over the somnambulant freshman, mumbling "incantations" about turning him into a wart on a frog's butt.

After a few minutes, his eyes crept open - although his snores continued - and he looked at me.  His eyes crept back closed without missing a snerkle.

Suddenly, they popped open with a *snap!* and he stared at me, totally focused.  

"Who are YOU!?" he demanded.

As I continued to mutter, he started to tremble.  "Oh, my GAWD!" he pled, and pulled his pillow over his head, and his shaking became more pronounced.

I took that opportunity to slip out his door and made sure it was locked.

To the basement laundry I dashed, where I ditched the costume and "headed home."

But when I got off the elevator on the fifth floor I heard a commotion from the corridor on the side opposite ours.  Naturally, I had to wander over and investigate - and was shocked to find the four Black Panthers who occupied the suite at the end of the hallway with Jeff backed up against a wall, one threatening him with a knife.

"Hey, Fellas!  What's goin' on??"

One of 'em turned to me and said "Hey, Rocko!  Why, there we wuz, sound asleep, when this #$^&% crazy sumbidge comes bangin' on our door demandin' to know if we seed a Gizzard wanderin' the hallway!"

Jeff meekly and defensively interrupted "No, no...!  'Wizard!'  Not 'Gizzard!'"

I explained to the guys that ol' Jeff had been under a lot of stress lately, with mid-terms and all, and suggested that the strain must've just got to him.  I offered to take him off their hands and see that he stayed in his room the rest of the night; they thankfully decided to take me up on my offer and avoid making a bloody mess outside their door.

But I still get the chills whenever I think about navigating that damned ledge!!  Eek!! nail-biting.gif

1456491203_VerducciHall.jpg.c8214ac6e4c14bafbc6e92804fff22d7.jpg                                            Wizard.jpg.5c82e766b4e28d53240bf0d0e2ac469b.jpg

Archived