SASS Wire Forum

The near Future of CAS

Snakebite

Yul, I agree. Once upon a time a famous and IMO wonderful organization's motto was "Be Prepared", but of course you can't quote them any more or you would be considered a pervert. 

Snakebite  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, Snakebite said:

... do not have the supplies to continue. If water is short, you don't stop drinking, but you do cut down on water use until you can replenish the supply. It is NOT business as usual if you want to stay in business. ...

IMHO the ammo components "saved" by cutting back on matches will not help restocking the store shelves.  Those shooters that wait until they are out before buying will just hoard up the extra just like they are doing now.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:15 AM, Snakebite said:

...That is because of the increased number of NEW folks buying guns. That puts an even larger strain on the manufactured ammo industry. ... there are many folks that are Rat-Holing Ammo. ...

I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding adding some thoughts.

I personally know of two new gun owners.  

One bought a revolver and one box of ammo.  They hid both in a hard to access location in their house.  Never fired the gun nor no they appear want too.  They bought it for "just in case".  

The second new gun owner has no ammo.  I gave them a box of ammo and took them to the gun range.  They used all of the ammo seeing how fast they could shoot.  Now they are back to having a gun with no ammo.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:33 PM, Roger Rapid said:

...So, it’s not some political or governmant demon who has come to mess with our Second Amendment - it’s COVID 19....

I respectfully disagree.  COVID-19 panic was designed for political and government demons to mess with our Second Amendment rights and to prevent a re-election 

Thankfully I am seeing reports of primers hitting shelves sporadically. Of course, they are being bought out at a pace to be expected at this point. Like throwing a starving man a saltine.

I saw a post here yesterday about primers in stock, they were gone before most folks were even able to access the website.

The good news is, they ARE starting to come back around.

I was fortunate to have a local pard barter with me for my cast and coated bullets in exchange for small pistol primers of which I had none for my boys guns.

I have enough large to carry me for another 6-8 months, and believe it or not, a local retailer near me still has 1600 large in stock that have never sold out.(everything else has been long gone)

I bought a brick of them when the shortage began to get serious and sent out the word to my local clubs that I could get them if needed. He had 3600 at that time, I bought 1k of them.

11 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

IMHO the ammo components "saved" by cutting back on matches will not help restocking the store shelves.  Those shooters that wait until they are out before buying will just hoard up the extra just like they are doing now.

The idea was not directed at restocking the store shelves, but stretching out what stocks already exist and are on hand.  It was just a thought about conservation. The shooters that wait until they are out will not be able to hoard up until the shortage is over, and then there will be no need to cut back ... and the idea of stretching out current supplies was just that, a idea to get by until the supplies are available again... and as for hoarding, anyone that doesn't stock up to the max when they can is making a mistake in my opinion. If food supplies get short, I won't be sorry or ashamed that I put in stocks of survival food and water. I can not feed the world, but I can take care of me and mine and do encourage others to do the same .... Same goes with ammo. I'm just offering up one  possible way on how to survive the ammo shortage without coming to a complete halt.  

Snakebite  - tis true folks don't stock up on primers when they are plentiful.  But 2020 has been a unique year:

* March 2020 to present, they has been over 9,000,000 new firearms purchases recorded in the NICS database

* Same period in 2019, a tad over 200,000 new purchases recorded in the NICS database

*  The 2020 factory production of primers has been diverted to supply primers for the production of ammunition by the many ammo manufacturers  to supply ammunition for all these new gun owners and existing ones

* Profit is better selling ammunition than stocking distributions with primers alone

Example, at the range yesterday, 2 club members with new 9mm handgun purchases expended 8 boxes of PMC factory ammunition

10 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Yul, I agree. Once upon a time a famous and IMO wonderful organization's motto was "Be Prepared", but of course you can't quote them any more or you would be considered a pervert. 

Snakebite  

Being prepared means that you’re a hoarder to some folks that buy just enough primers and powder to get them through a match or two and  then when these shortages hit you’re the bad guy because you stocked up when the supply was plentiful. Not long after I started shooting CAS there was a components shortage and it took awhile for the powder and primers to catch up and I learned my lesson. 

11 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I respectfully disagree.  COVID-19 panic was designed for political and government demons to mess with our Second Amendment rights and to prevent a re-election 

i am agreeing with you on this - not playing down the fact we have a serious disease but never in our history have we done so much to destroy our lives and economy because there is a disease , it will run its course if allowed , it will anyway but we seem intent on prolonging the inevitable - regime change will not change that , 

I got into this last October and hadn't really found my "level" before things went sideways. I have about 4 matches loaded, plenty of powder and bullets and am down to 1300 primers. I worked out a trade to keep me in primers should I run out, so I'm good for this "crisis".

I won't let it happen again. 

Although I still don't know what my level is. :D

16 hours ago, Hendo said:

I won't let it happen again. 

Hummm, if that is the case then you will be a Hoarder................... IMO, smart move.

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Hummm, if that is the case then you will be a Hoarder................... IMO, smart move.

Yanno, I been called worse.

Ask my ex... :lol:

On 10/28/2020 at 5:48 PM, Yul Lose said:

Being prepared means that you’re a hoarder to some folks that buy just enough primers and powder to get them through a match or two and  then when these shortages hit you’re the bad guy because you stocked up when the supply was plentiful. Not long after I started shooting CAS there was a components shortage and it took awhile for the powder and primers to catch up and I learned my lesson. 

Ants and Grasshoppers. 

With winter approaching many will choose not to shoot, not only because of the weather, they will save the primers for warmer weather.

I'll see if the attendance is down tomorrow. Won't affect me or most that I shoot with, they have taken precautions and stocked up before this shortage.

I can see even more folks dropping their SASS memberships due to lack of components, their interest will wane. 

Archived