SASS Wire Forum

Sure Hit Rifle Sights - Which One?

Cholla

It has been recommended that I install Sure Hit Sights on my rifles. I assume folks use the large version but I thought I would check here.

image.png.4d02b4627c07418f8c0224bef13ad292.png

Cholla...if you have the original flat blade front sight...not one with a rounded top part...you will have to also change your front sight. The sure hit sight needs that round part to slide over. I have changed them out on several of my rifles.

Cholla, Bronc sells a similar type brass sight for rifles. He's local to you here in Yavapai County Arizona. He shoots with Whiskey Row Gunslingers and Yavapai Rangers. You can PM him here or on facebook.

I believe ours are the medium or small. They measure about .155 to .162 depending on which rifle I measure. 3/16 is closer to .185

I think I have one of each. I have different sights on different rifles. Even rear sights. Depends on if I am going to also use a particular rifle for long range. 

I like the Slix-Bead Rifle replacement sight bead in .175 if you have a Marbles sight. They also come in .150 and .190". $7 each. You just pull the stock bead and replace it. Looks better too.

9 hours ago, KingSnake said:

Cholla, Bronc sells a similar type brass sight for rifles. He's local to you here in Yavapai County Arizona. He shoots with Whiskey Row Gunslingers and Yavapai Rangers. You can PM him here or on facebook.

He was showing them off a few matches ago but I thought they were for shotguns. I just PM'd him for more info. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Cholla said:

He was showing them off a few matches ago but I thought they were for shotguns. I just PM'd him for more info. Thanks.

I believe that he has 2 different rifle sights and 4 different shotgun sights. Shotgun Shannon and I have them on our long guns. I know Bronc is shooting in Tombstone this weekend so it might be a bit before he gets back to you. 

14 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

http://thesmithshop.com/beadbrass.html

I've used Sure Hit Sights, but I like the one listed above better because I see it better.

I believe this is the same sight that Jim Bowie offers at C&I.  I have them on my 73s.  I like Sure Hit Sights also and that is what Sassy has on her 73s.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:01 AM, Cholla said:

It has been recommended that I install Sure Hit Sights on my rifles. I assume folks use the large version but I thought I would check here.

image.png.4d02b4627c07418f8c0224bef13ad292.png

C,

The smaller one is not small considering that it is fitting over bead of Marble sight, say perhaps a 3/32 Marble bead.  Large is listed at 3/16 (.1875) medium at 5/32.  Sassy uses (and I have in past) the small/medium which measures .157".  .Although 157" is not large by some standard, it is larger than most beads and blades on factory 66/73s.  Either is wise choice.  

The “small” one is what most people use. Like BB stated it’s not “small” and it really works well.

We are a small cowboy family owned business and definitely appreciate all the support from our extended cowboy family’s over the years.

slickmagicguns.com

At our October match, I asked Gunsmith Frank (F & D Gunsmith) to bring me out a "family pack" assortment of Sure Hit Sights and he did. I got two small and two large for the Cowboy style sight and three for the carbine sight.  The carbine version slips down over the top of the original sight rather than driven over the blade.

1718417521_BigFrontSightsOct2020.jpg.ade8b6f3e6ec2e742923112bb6445cf2.jpg

I figure to try the small on the 20" barreled guns and the large on the 24". The carbine version is small. Makes sense as all will have short barrels.  

We have two rifles with the Sure Hit Sights already but they were already installed. I thought it would make a good winter project to put them on some other rifles. 

https://www.fanddgunsmithing.com/online-store-1.html

Archived