SASS Wire Forum

Newb questions: Dud’s & scatter

Yukon Terror

Long time lurker, first time poster (in the forum as a “topic”). Yes I don’t have a SASS number cause I’ve wanted to collect my irons prior to officially joining, but I’m close, super close and getting fired up. I’ve picked up a Winchester 73, pair of SASS vaq’s (both in 45C). Still need to get some leather, and yes I keep an eye out in the classifieds, but I’m a wholesome fella (big boned.... ok, ok I’m fat!!!) and belts in the 49” range seem to be rare in the used section or snapped up quickly. I attend my local club matches and keep score just to be involved. Yes they urge me to shoot, which I typically shoot a stage at the end of the match.
Anywho.... my questions: as a newb I plan to shoot in age based category (Wrangler).

1) What scatter gun to select!?!?! Was thinking hammered double just cause it opens CC if I ever felt inclined at a latter date. What brand & what to look for!?!?!
2) in the age based groups “dud’s” (cloths) Have no regulations except outlawed items, no lug boots and period correct lid (hat) correct? So if I wanted to wear mountain man Rendezvous get’up I could.
Just looking for some guidance here. I’ve read the rule book “a lot!!!” But still scratch’n my head at times. Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the Wire and the best game there is!

1. Try several and figure out what you like best. 

2. No hat required(except Classic Cowboy and B Western) and lug soles really only apply to CC. 

Welcome to the place! I like 2nd helpings myself, so here is a suggestion for your belt. Got to a Home Depot or Lowes and find a heavy work belt. They make them to fit big guys like us, I have used one for years and they can be found in 2" and wider, with the length to run your holsters and belt slides.

30 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome to the Wire and the best game there is!

2. No hat required (except Classic Cowboy and B Western) and lug soles really only apply to CC and B-Western.

REF: SHB p.9

I'm sorry but the "you can make it work" usually does work it just doesn't work well.  Do yourself a favor call Lisa at Mernikle leather tell her what you need / want and they will make it for you.  You will be happier, actually spend less money and it will work as intended.  

Thanks everyone for the input/ feedback. how’s about them shotty recommendations? I’ve shot a stoeger coach, just thinking the hammered would open the door later for CC if I decide. I’m not dead set on it, just want a decent (Not top) quality That will last and perform. Everyone has probably heard this A hundred times, but I’ve been eyeing the Longhunter units. Hammered or not? I’m a cry once kind of guy and would like to be at $1k or less.

Once you get shooting you will eventually have a firearm break at a match and discover you need backups.  Buy a Stoeger and later a hammered shotgun.  They will both get used. 

11 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Once you get shooting you will eventually have a firearm break at a match and discover you need backups.  Buy a Stoeger and later a hammered shotgun.  They will both get used. 

Hey Edward, long time no see!  ( just met him at the Texas BP match this afternoon :) )

So, you probably noted there is currently a topic on backups, and while you may or may not ever "need" them, if you are going to stay in this game you will end up with more guns.  Maybe a lot more.  Anyway, a Stoeger is fine to get started, so concentrate on other stuff.  If you have only shot two-handed (Wrangler), try out duelist (or double duelist) to see if you like that before going Classic.    But keep your eyes out for a Cimarron 1878 hammer gun, a.k.a. TTN '78.  There have not been any new ones available for a while but there will be more coming and there are a lot of them out there so they show up occasionally.  That will usually be your best bet if you are on a budget, and is the most popular gun for Classic.  There are some other more nicely finished hammer guns out there but they will cost more.  If you end up preferring Wrangler, you will probably find a hammered shotgun will slow you down.

Lol... I did read that topic about backup’s (and backups for your backups! LOL). Really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks all!!!! Looking forward to more than just scorekeeper duties (but hey at least I’m involved & helping out, plus learning a ton). Local club meets next Sunday (1st Sunday of the month) and can’t wait. I look forward to each meet. 

seriously... “Thank You all” for the feedback. 

Welcome.

Pony up for the membership, you get a magazine with it. What with all the toilet paper shortages, that might eventually be a bargain.

And "snapped up" is the best explanation for your leather needs, most members here seem to be well-fed. I'm skinny so I finally ordered a starter rig from Mernickle. Since then, I have seen a number of other rigs for sale and still none of them would have fit me.

As to the shottie... I picked up a slicked Stoeger at a fair price, figuring I could shoot it faster than a hammered double or a '97. But got to think'in and picked up a '97 to play with. Well, two of them as the second had a shorter stock which might fit my lady.

And even though I bought my dream '73 rifle (fine walnut, CCH Miroku), I'll probably also get an Uberti. Also in 44-40.

But I may also want to play with .38 Special because I might be a hair faster with that. So also another set of revolvers in the same caliber, to supplement my .44 Specials which I'm shooting .44 Russian out of because I plan to transition to black powder.

And while not required, I did get a nice hat as it catches all the cartridges coming out of my rifle.

In short, get any game-legal shottie you like, hammered or not, and get in the game. And a hat even if not required, and a safe, because you are going to fill it.

I think some folks misunderstood where I was coming from earlier. GOOD holsters and belts last for years but you get what you pay for. And as you spend any time shooting, you will accumulate a box of holsters, get used to the idea. My suggestion is to try different things [guns, holsters, etc] spending frugally as you start. Then once you know what you like, buy GOOD stuff. List here what guns you need holsters, belt slides, belts etc. This is a great bunch who will be glad to help you out and digging through our own boxes of holsters.

+1 on the Cimmaron 1878 hammer double. That having been said, I would give duelist style shooting a try before going for the hammer double. You might find that you don't want to shoot one handed, in which case a hammerless double like a Stoeger is going to be your best bet. I shoot CC, and I'm always ready to welcome new shooters to the ranks of the best category in SASS, but it's not for everybody...

3 hours ago, Dirtheadz said:

Local club meets next Sunday (1st Sunday of the month) and can’t wait. I look forward to each meet. 

seriously... “Thank You all” for the feedback. 

If you're talkin about the Shaketails, be aware - not to be offensive in the least - they have a little different idea about target placement,  & size as compared to most other clubs.  Lake George  (Colorado Cowboys) is also in the area & will provide a little different perspective along those lines. Either will provide some real fun !!

Archived