SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else get an email from Amazon?

Got this message from the Bezos Brigade this evening ~ wondering if anyone else has received the same:

Amazon.com <no-reply@amazon.com>
To:**********@yahoo.com
Fri, Oct 23 at 5:07 PM

Hello,
We are writing to let you know that your e-mail address was disclosed by an Amazon employee to a third-party in violation of our policies. As a result, we have fired the employee, referred them to law enforcement, and are supporting law enforcement’s criminal prosecution. No other information related to your account was shared. This is not a result of anything you have done and there is no need for you to take any action. We apologize for this incident.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Please note: this email was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Like ALL we need is a new deluge of junk into the inbox.   :(

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Got this message from the Bezos Brigade this evening ~ wondering if anyone else has received the same:

Like ALL we need is a new deluge of junk into the inbox.   :(

There are multiple reports of similar messages on the Internet:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-fires-employee-for-sharing-customers-email-addresses/

https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/10/amazon-employees-email-address/

Now all you have to do is try to figure out if your email is real, or part of an attempt to fuel anger and resentment against Amazon and support for the government's threat to dismantle the company as "too powerful".

LL

IMHO it sounds a little "un-business like" ... is a fake ... especially ... 

"As a result, we have fired the employee, referred them to law enforcement, and are supporting law enforcement’s criminal prosecution"

That seems like a little too much information ... AND .. what on earth will "law enforcement" do to the person for writing your email address on the wall somewhere??

<_<

Sometimes when I have made purchases I am asked if my info can be shared with  third party suppliers to fulfill the order or for communication purposes. I usually select “Yes” or I cancel the order and order another product. It depends on what I am buying and where it is coming from. 

Perhaps you selected “No” on a purchase and an employee sent it anyway?

28 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If I don't recognize an email source or is something I'm not interested it, I don't open it, I just let Del deal with it.  Del, who? You know, the key just to the right of the main keys on the keyboard. :D

Well, the sender was clearly Amazon Customer Service, and I have a couple of outstanding orders.  First thought was that it just might be relevant...  likely, even.

This appears to be a legit email.

WhileI have no confirmation, the scuttlebutt suggests this was either an employee in China or with links to chinese vendors selling through Amazon.

And Amazon is bound by rules from many nations, and this email conforms to European requirements for disclosure of personal information. So I suspect some European customers also ordered from those vendors, gave negative reviews... and here we are.

At this point, ignore it. While your email address was disclosed, that is far from a threshold of significant disclosure of personal information at any level approaching identity theft. In theory, you could get more spam in the future; in reality, you will likely not notice.

13 hours ago, bgavin said:

HP, you can check the actual sending URL in the message header.
They can claim any B.S. sender in the message part, but the header contains the true sender.

Exactly.

I'm always the last to know!  I have not received mine yet.

Archived