SASS Wire Forum

Switch to .38s?

DeaconKC

With the current shortage of primers hitting us, I wonder if it would be something to consider. Picking up/trading to go to .38 Special  instead of my .45 Colts? I am set up for loading my own, but if we run out of primers and only factory stuff is available, .38s are easier to find and cost less. What are y'all's thoughts?

Shoot what gives you joy.  None of us do this to make or save money.  Shortages don’t last forever.  Stock up when stuff is available.

i have both sets of guns but i have no small pistol primers currently to load the 38s with - all other components in hand , and everything for 45s so ill stick with that for a bit , seems this was the wrong year to decide to load the second option , ive got one state match worth of 38s in my bunker at present - holding onto them for now 

Over last 20 years, large pistol primers have been a LOT easier to buy than small pistol, large rifle or (worst) small rifle primers during the 3 or 5 shortages we've seen.

You are heading down a road to disappointment changing guns and cartridges because of lack of buying primers when they are available.   :(

Good luck, GJ

14 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

With the current shortage of primers hitting us, I wonder if it would be something to consider. Picking up/trading to go to .38 Special  instead of my .45 Colts? I am set up for loading my own, but if we run out of primers and only factory stuff is available, .38s are easier to find and cost less. What are y'all's thoughts?

The shortages are nationwide and you aren't likely to find factory cowboy .38 Special often enough (if at all) to warrant the expenditure of money to acquire 3 more guns.  You would be better served by putting that money aside to buy primers, powder & bullets when the prices return to normal.

I shoot .38’s and I’m fairly stocked up on small pistol primers but I see more Large pistol primers than small. You are correct that loaded .38 is waaay cheaper than .45’s if you can find them!

Archived