SASS Wire Forum

Another Nugget about the Big Red 1

I just learned that the First Division, in WW I was 100% armed with the Springfield 03 Rifle. Apparently the Enfield design was issued to other Divisions.  Never too old to learn something. 

Alvin York's unit went to Europe armed with Model 1917s, but according to his son he couldn't get used to the peep sights on the Enfield and swapped rifles with another soldier for a Springfield at some point prior to his Medal of Honor action. My late father never learned that... he bought a 1917 for the simple reason that it was believed to be York's rifle for many years.

Thank You Johnson that was really interesting.

I have a modified one, (Virtual of course). The action seems to very robust. 

It is more accurate than my virtual Garand. But then, that is a virtual bolt action vs. a virtual semi auto. 

I still have my dad's unmodified M1917, but the stock is starting to crumble and needs replacing. Unfortunately just finding an original stock in good condition is nearly impossible. When they do show up on eBay they sell for more than the entire rifle is worth!

53 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I still have my dad's unmodified M1917, but the stock is starting to crumble and needs replacing. Unfortunately just finding an original stock in good condition is nearly impossible. When they do show up on eBay they sell for more than the entire rifle is worth!

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1571830A

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

that depends on the rifle - if its a winchester its one of the least produced , if remington its one of the next least , or if its ERA marked for eddystone it is one of the most produced , then there are the lend lease like those that went to canada that have red paint for the non-conforming cartridge , as well as all the foreign aid we gave them out as after the second war as noted in the danish connection above , if you look hard you can find one , the stocks for each are available and interchangeable but not with the pattern 1914 stocks or the replacements made in scotland in the weedon refurbs , ive owned a bunch of them over the years these were my best 

mikes photos - 2 011.JPG

Archived