SASS Wire Forum

Dumb old.....!

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Stayed up way later than an old guy out to looking over this new (for me) find.  I particularly enjoyed the history lessons but not really sure how much of it was accrate.  In particular I spent a lot of time on the Texas Rangers history as well as that pertaining to the post CW history.  http://www.westernleatherholster.com/historical-holsters/

I just received a fake Colt Walker and went looking for holster ideas and ended up on the web site.  I got so into the history of the guns and leather that I forgot everything else!  I did come away with a couple of ideas for the Walker leather there BUT when I got into the more modern Texas Ranger era I found a couple or so of the more modern 1911 holsters that I really liked also.  Not sure one way or the other on their provenance research, as to the history, part of their claims but some of those old weapons and their accoutrements really got me lathered up.  OH I did find one of the early Ranger rigs that looked better than most others I have seen, almost a 'gunfighter style' for an early Walker.  B)  I might start patterning something similar tomorrow???  

2 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

I just received a fake Colt Walker and went looking for holster ideas and ended up on the web site.  I got so into the history of the guns and leather that I forgot everything else!  I did come away with a couple of ideas for the Walker leather there BUT when I got into the more modern Texas Ranger era I found a couple or so of the more modern 1911 holsters that I really liked also.  Not sure one way or the other on their provenance research, as to the history, part of their claims but some of those old weapons and their accoutrements really got me lathered up.  OH I did find one of the early Ranger rigs that looked better than most others I have seen, almost a 'gunfighter style' for an early Walker.  B)  I might start patterning something similar tomorrow???  

Bob, I just made this Walker holster for a friend.  I put the loop about 3" below the top of the holster so the Walker does not hang on the belt.  Cactus rose seemed like a good choice.  Uses a lot of cowskin.

20200802_135514.jpg

Yes those big horse pistols will go through a side pretty quick and I am actually thinking a double thick with liner, perhaps five on five, which doubles up the leather feeding frenzy!  I commend you on your artistic talent,  your holster is attractive while offering somewhat a unique appearance.  Lacking in any artistic talent I tend to look for those styles that appeal to me and  copy them:ph34r:  I have not made anything in years BUT this laying around the house 24/7 is getting a bit old so I might get into the attic and look for some of the old hand working tools.

Archived