SASS Wire Forum

Movie Guns; which are the most iconic firearms and scenes in movie history?

I was thinking of Clint Eastwood, he has made several firearms' scenes memorable:

Outlaw Josey Wales & Pale Rider, C&B guns

Man with no name Trilogy Snake gripped open tops

Joe Kidd Broomhandle Mauser

Dirty Harry .44 Magnum

Gran Torino m1 Garand

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce Willis in the movie - Last Man Standing....a pair of .45 Colt automatics.

Tom Hanks in the movie - The Road to Perdition....Thompson submachine gun...aka "The Chicago Typewriter".

Gary Cooper - in the movie - Sergeant York - 1903 Springfield bolt action. (the real Sergeant York used a P-17, and a Colt .45 auto, not an '03 and a Luger).

Gary Cooper - in the movie - Springfield Rifle - 1873 Springfield Trapdoor

#1 is dirty Harry and his model 29

#2 is gattlin guns, pretty much everywhere. 

But those were both said.  My additions to the list:

-  Chris Pratt's 45-70 in Jurassic park.  Marlin 1895 SBL

-  Terminator's model 87 shotgun.  I get more "kids" coming up to me at matches saying they recognize my shotgun, and I say, "Oh yeah from terminator?"  They look at me funny and say "No, call of duty."  But still, it was in a movie.  Actually, that one might have been said. 

-  Rambo's M60.  As long as we're on Rambo, don't forget about the iconic survival knife.  Some would also want to add his compound bow with exploding arrows to the list, but the Duke boys did that first and better, so I don't count them. 

-  Remington 700 used by Sgt Beckett in Sniper.  Technically it might have been an M40, but it was iconic to me because it looked like an old school hunting rifle, whereas the young punk kid he was teamed with had the heavy looking monstrosity with a pistol grip.  The bad guy sniper had a gun that looked a lot like the punk kid's rifle too.  Come to think of it, I wonder if this is the root of why I don't like rifles with pistol grips. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:24 PM, DocWard said:

A western that ends up in film appreciation classes is Shane. I actually got to see it on the big screen in college because of it. I don't think there is a better shootout scene than the final duel. Holliday and Ringo in Tombstone is a good second. As more than one person has noted, the tension is so thick, the dog has to leave.

my mothers favorite movie - i enjoyed it later as i was only 3 when it hit the screens but i vaguely recall the TV series of the 60s not being a big hit , i might be wrong tho 

On 10/23/2020 at 7:45 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Gary Cooper - in the movie - Sergeant York - 1903 Springfield bolt action. (the real Sergeant York used a P-17, and a Colt .45 auto, not an '03 and a Luger).

According to York's son he did indeed use an '03. Apparently he didn't like the peep sights on his issue M1917 and at some point swapped with another soldier for a Springfield.

Of course the Luger was way wrong in the movie, but that was because they couldn't get 1911s to work with blanks back then. It's a problem that continues to plague film armorers to this day, which is why when you see a 1911 on the screen it's usually a 9mm.

His rifle, and his Colt .45 1911, were lost, or stolen, on the trip home. Some still argue about the type of rifle, but his son said he did trade it for an '03, because he did not like the sights on the Enfield.

When he was in combat, he was very low on ammunition, for his rifle, and he was charged by several German soldiers. He pulled his Colt, and killed about four of them. As he told it later, he shot them from back to front, like his daddy shot birds with his Remington model 11, back in the day.

The good ole U.S. of A. gave him a ticker tape parade, and the State of Tennessee bought him a farm. Later, the good ole I.R.S. slapped him with a $25,000 fine for "back taxes". He had donated some money to the religious school he helped set up with proceeds of his tours, and from the movie they made starring Gary Cooper. He want out to "Hollywierd" to be consultant on the movie. They had a different mindset, than they do today. Makes you wonder how he would be received today, if he were still alive.  Makes you wonder how that movie would be received today, had it (if it) been made today.

Donations had to be solicited to help pay the i.r.s. fine.

Nothing like the I.R.S., aka Gestapo, (and congress for creating it) to ruin your life.

3 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

His rifle, and his Colt .45 1911, were lost, or stolen, on the trip home.

Waxahachie Kid, I have digital copies of letters written by the state of Tennessee to the Ordnance Department asking them to locate York's 1911 and donate it to the state. They clearly state that he turned in his pistol and even gave the serial number. The Ordnance Dept replied that it was logistically impossible to dig up a single pistol but that they would try if the opportunity arose (it was never located). The rifle on the other hand I have no clue about, and like you I read that it somehow disappeared on the return trip to the USA.

Back in 1919, my Great-Grandfather, and his oldest son (my grandfather's brother) were walking home down one of the dirt county roads, where they lived.

They spotted a suitcase laying in the ditch, beside the road. They picked it up, and took it home. Inside they found a lot of clothing, and a 1911 Colt automatic.

Many years later, my uncle, since he and his spouse had no children, give the .45 to me.

I said that to say, that if Sgt. York turned in his Colt 1911, perhaps someone there decided to steal it. If they had an idea who's pistol it was, that might have been an incentive. From how I obtained my 1911, it may not have been all that difficult to steal one, back then. So many were manufactured, and there were no computer entries to keep up with them, that it could have been turned in, and no corresponding paper work may have been produced, or...paperwork was produced, the pistol could have been easily misplaced, either by accident, or on purpose. 

The serial number on mine indicates it was shipped in 1918. Yet, it ended up in a ditch, in a suitcase, by the side of a dirt county road, in 1919. 

Either York's rifle, or pistol, would be a tremendous find, if located. They could still be out there, in someone's suitcase, or, in an attic. Stranger things have happened.

My grandfather had been issued a revolver when he reached France for "The Big One".  While he was gone from his unit for training his unit was issued 1911's and the revolvers were collected.  When he returned from training he was issued a 1911, but they did not take his revolver.  The revolver was packed in his duffle bag on the trip home.  Unfortunately, somebody got into the stored gear and took everything of value including the revolver.  For some strange reason they also took a piece of shrapnel that had narrowly missed him and embedded in a tree next to him.  He said he burned his hand on it when he recovered it from the tree.

Angus

This has been a GREAT topic; and you all have improved my "Must See" Movies List, considerably.  There will definitely be an Episode II, as we didn't get to half the stuff we wanted to talk about.

And, probably, an Episode III, because we didn't even touch on television...

Cheers,

FJT

We were soldiers- Ak47

Certainly an iconic weapon. Not sure if, in regards to this particular movie, it would be iconic in a cinematic sense. This movie was more about character, leadership and determination than anything.

image.jpeg.7732f908c5d80d7cf8d052e5547d3850.jpeg

7 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

This has been a GREAT topic; and you all have improved my "Must See" Movies List, considerably.  There will definitely be an Episode II, as we didn't get to half the stuff we wanted to talk about.

And, probably, an Episode III, because we didn't even touch on television...

Cheers,

FJT

............. well, .... get on with it! ..... and don't hold back .......   :P

How about the revolving rifle used by Arthur Honeycut as Bull in the movie Eldorado!!

”Gimme another gun ‘n’ I’ll play Marchin’ Through Georgia fer ya’!!”

On 10/23/2020 at 8:39 AM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Wait a minute.....how can this iconic scene be left out?  I bet it sold more Colt or lookalikes than S&W ever sold of the 29!

Matt Dillon's pistol had a retractable barrel.  Every time he put it back in his holster the barrel retracted.  Just check his barrel length after he puts it back in the holster.  And, he uses it all through the series.  When it is out of the holster it is a 7 1/2 in barrel but, not when it is back in the holster.

21 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

The Webley is totally an anachronism but what could be cooler than one paired with a Martini Henry. 

Seamus

493195C8-5E8F-4E14-8413-F2C2DD1C9D39.jpeg

When the Calgary, AB city police carried Webleys back in the 50's and 60's, they referred to them as the wobbly Webleys

8 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Matt Dillon's pistol had a retractable barrel.  Every time he put it back in his holster the barrel retracted.  Just check his barrel length after he puts it back in the holster.  And, he uses it all through the series.  When it is out of the holster it is a 7 1/2 in barrel but, not when it is back in the holster.

What is your reference for this besides the video???

On 10/27/2020 at 2:31 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'd love to see pics of that 1918 Colt sometime... in another thread of course.

i have one of those 1918 colt "black army" pistols -

mikes photos - 2 037.JPG

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What is your reference for this besides the video???

Every episode that he is in and draws his gun it is a 7 1/2 bbl and if the scene shows him after holstering it, you can see that the holster is not for a 7 1/2 bbl and there is no barrel sticking out of the bottom.  My wife and I watch one episode a day and she is sick of me pointing this out every time.  Just take a look at his holster size next time you watch an episode.  I have also noticed that on HGWT where Paladin uses a 7 1/2" bbl but it doesn't match his holster size and no barrel sticking out the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Every episode that he is in and draws his gun it is a 7 1/2 bbl and if the scene shows him after holstering it, you can see that the holster is not for a 7 1/2 bbl and there is no barrel sticking out of the bottom.  My wife and I watch one episode a day and she is sick of me pointing this out every time.  Just take a look at his holster size next time you watch an episode.  I have also noticed that on HGWT where Paladin uses a 7 1/2" bbl but it doesn't match his holster size and no barrel sticking out the bottom.

Looks like a 7.5 holster to me.

Archived