SASS Wire Forum

Movie Guns; which are the most iconic firearms and scenes in movie history?

Movie Guns; which are the most iconic firearms and scenes involving them, in Hollywood History?  That's the topic this week on The Gunslinger Hour.

on KABC-AM 790 TalkRadio  and/or  iHeartRadio AND WATCH IT LIVE ON FACEBOOK WATCH right here on the
The Gunslinger Hour Radio Show  Facebook page at 7:00am PST.

Feel free to call in and tell us your thoughts and post your questions and shout outs in the comments on the live Facebook feed.
(800) 222-5222.

And don't forget our new YouTube Channel! 

Cheers,
FJT

86293618_203725954336217_226302385171988480_o.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dutch Coroner said:

6FFC4B51-B285-459A-9830-CBDC5509A769.jpeg

Beat me to it by 30 seconds! ;)

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

Dirty Harry's Model 29 S&W

I would say this is possibly the most iconic firearm used in a Hollywood movie. It is so closely associated with the character that one has difficulty imagining him without it. Even his use of the .44 Automag in Sudden Impact ends up being somewhat incongruent to the character, despite its cool factor. While Selleck as Quigley with his Sharps is iconic, it can't quite compare with a franchise like Dirty Harry. Besides, he takes down the bad guy with a revolver!

3 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

This scene is one of the most intense and amazing scenes in Hollywood history. I recall arguments developing about the accuracy of the scene, where members of the military (myself included) would actually insist it is highly plausible, as the police aren't typically equipped or trained to deal with such a situation, where they are being assaulted with military efficiency. Add the sounds echoing from the buildings, and Val Kilmer's firing and magazine change starting at the 2:00 mark in the above clip (which is said to have been used at the JFK Special Warfare Center as a training "how to"), and you have iconic stamped all over it.

Take yer pick~!  ^_^     

1635627025_TrueGrit.gif.f58bb3aee9acb6735e4511d30699ae9a.gif

10 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I would say this is possibly the most iconic firearm used in a Hollywood movie. It is so closely associated with the character that one has difficulty imagining him without it. Even his use of the .44 Automag in Sudden Impact ends up being somewhat incongruent to the character, despite its cool factor. While Select as Quigley with his Sharps is iconic, it can't quite compare with a franchise like Dirty Harry. Besides, he takes down the bad guy with a revolver!

This scene is one of the most intense and amazing scenes in Hollywood history. I recall arguments developing about the accuracy of the scene, where members of the military (myself included) would actually insist it is highly plausible, as the police aren't typically equipped or trained to deal with such a situation, where they are being assaulted with military efficiency. Add the sounds echoing from the buildings, and Val Kilmer's firing and magazine change starting at the 2:00 mark in the above clip (which is said to have been used at the JFK Special Warfare Center as a training "how to"), and you have iconic stamped all over it.

And DeNiro doesn't throw away his rifle when he runs out of ammo.  :)

Don't forget the Beretta 92F and its association with characters like Martin Riggs and John McClane. It's to 80's action flicks what the Model 29 was to Dirty Harry.

But I have to agree, while guns like the Colt SAA and Winchester 92 were commonplace in Westerns, the notion of a movie gun being as famous as the actor who carried it had to have begun with Dirty Harry.

A western that ends up in film appreciation classes is Shane. I actually got to see it on the big screen in college because of it. I don't think there is a better shootout scene than the final duel. Holliday and Ringo in Tombstone is a good second. As more than one person has noted, the tension is so thick, the dog has to leave.

If he had just gone in and shot the old man to begin with. With the old man, who control the purse strings, dead, Wilson wasn't going to get paid, so there was no need for him to get into a gunfight with Shane. Result one dead man instead of three.

Amazing how the kid yells LOOK OUT, and Shane knows the danger is coming from behind him and above. Must have been clairvoyant.

Howdy FJT.

1.  Clint's S&W model 29

2. Tom Selleck's rifle in Quigley

3. Duke's model 92

Clints model 29 and Tom's rifle were the center of attention in those movies.

Duke's model 92 was never the center of attention in his movies because the Duke hisowndangself was always the center of attention.

I think the manner in which he wore his pistol was also iconic.    He seem to be a pretty fast draw also.

Hope you are doing well my friend.

..........Widder

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If he had just gone in and shot the old man to begin with. With the old man, who control the purse strings, dead, Wilson wasn't going to get paid, so there was no need for him to get into a gunfight with Shane. Result one dead man instead of three.

Amazing how the kid yells LOOK OUT, and Shane knows the danger is coming from behind him and above. Must have been clairvoyant.

Cold blooded murder is seldom considered “heroic,” and who is to say Wilson wouldn’t have drawn on him? If nothing else, Riker’s brother in the loft was still alive to pay him.  Then, if Shane, having murdered Riker, survives Wilson, he still has to contend with the brother.

He heard the creak/saw where he was looking/willing suspension of disbelief. 

43 minutes ago, DocWard said:

A western that ends up in film appreciation classes is Shane. I actually got to see it on the big screen in college because of it. I don't think there is a better shootout scene than the final duel. Holliday and Ringo in Tombstone is a good second. As more than one person has noted, the tension is so thick, the dog has to leave.

Not to be overly critical of a truly great scene; but when he shoots the bad guy up on the mezzanine, Shane's gun is pointed to the floor on his right side. Don't really think he got him, unless it was a ricochet.

Since FJT did not specify Western movies exclusively 

Jayne’s Vera from Firefly

BCE826E2-0CD7-4A41-963A-BB36D13A10F6.jpeg.aa9457896dabc6e4fe89bc9de0ca1f6a.jpeg

Paladin’s custom SAA

146BE650-22C2-45EA-A4E5-DCDE590570DE.jpeg.19eb08bac69ed473d96a4cbfea270985.jpeg

The Webley-Fosbery from The Maltese Falcon 

6DA4F7C4-9B13-4B04-B2FB-D3A966099435.jpeg.f83a8e03e270f3b36617dafe60008ec7.jpeg

the Lemat from Westworld 

E8E0B297-47CB-4533-AE3E-9208EBFE856F.thumb.jpeg.85560991d1cf93b7c4d28531d7e6552c.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Not to be overly critical of a truly great scene; but when he shoots the bad guy up on the mezzanine, Shane's gun is pointed to the floor on his right side. Don't really think he got him, unless it was a ricochet.

Watching it in slow motion, it looks to go more straight out in front to me, but definitely far from upward!

37 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Since FJT did not specify Western movies exclusively 

Jayne’s Vera from Firefly

BCE826E2-0CD7-4A41-963A-BB36D13A10F6.jpeg.aa9457896dabc6e4fe89bc9de0ca1f6a.jpeg

I almost mentioned that one for two reasons. First, one of my favorite shows and it came immediately to mind; Second, because that's what my oldest daughter calls my Mini-14. I didn't because TV series instead of movie.

Winchester '73 PosterYa gotta include the Winchester '73. Most of the movie was pretty good, too. Dan Duryea as the crazy bad guy, Shelley Winters as the fair damsel, Rock Hudson as an Indian in his screen debut, James Stewart (love his westerns) and of course, the Winchester '73. Some say it was the gun that won the West.

30 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Watching it in slow motion, it looks to go more straight out in front to me, but definitely far from upward!

I almost mentioned that one for two reasons. First, one of my favorite shows and it came immediately to mind; Second, because that's what my oldest daughter calls my Mini-14. I didn't because TV series instead of movie.

Serenity then. The movie that tied it up for us browncoats

Deckers pistol from Bladerunner

Han Solo's blaster from Star Wars

6 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Serenity then. The movie that tied it up for us browncoats

I don't recall Vera in the movie, but I could only bring myself to watch it once. Great movie, too depressing.

I have the boxed set. They got notified of the cancellation at their Christmas party.

I thought of Hans blaster but it's a blaster not a projectile weapon.

American Sniper 

Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) uses a McMillan TAC-338A rifle as one of his main weapons. The weapon is fitted with a Leupold Mark 4. The rifle is also similar in appearance to the TAC-338 rifle that Kyle used in real life.

EC63D458-6518-4786-B7D6-B296E0ADB6AD.jpeg

Three that are iconic in many films are the Thompson Submachinegun, The Luger, and the C96 Broomhandle Mauser. These three will always draw attention from gun cranks and no alike.

Archived