SASS Wire Forum

45 LC With Trail Boss

Asa Smith

I have depleted my supply of Titegroup and am switching over to Trail boss, (the powder I have been using in my wife's 38's).

I have been loading 6.3 grs. of Titegroup with a 200 gr. coated bullet for years and like that load.

I shoot open tops and try to keep the pressure down due to the thin metal on the cylinder, not so much to reduce recoil.

What load would equal that?

Thanks for any/all responses,

Asa Smith

5.4 grains TB with 200 grain RNFP lead works great, revolver and rifle, any weather, and elevations ranging from 1000 to 9000 feet above sea level from my experience. 

No discernable recoil in rifle, very little in Ruger Bisley shot one handed.

I’m with Sarge, High Spade and the rest.

5.5gr behind 200g rnfp .
I had lightened that down to 4.5 in my Rugers, but my open tops didn’t like it. They wouldn’t reseat the primers and bound the guns up after the first shot.

Brought it back up to 5.5 and they run just lovely.
Ended up having to shoot the rest of the light loads with my rifle to get through them.

Chert Rock

Thanks for all who responded!

Looks like 5.5 gr. is the winner...

I was leaning in that direction, it is the starting point on the Hodgdon website.

Thank you Chert Rock Chuck for the info on open tops. I had similar issues with light loads with Titegroup (primers not reseating and locking guns).

Dantankerous, thanks for the input on temp and altitude, those had effected my Titegroup ammo as well.

BTY Dantankerous, is there another way to shoot pistols other than one handed? ;)

Again, Thank you to all...

Asa Smith

Having said that...I ran out of Trail Boss a couple months ago, then ran out of Titegroup.  Now I have about two years' worth of Unique and various Black Powder and BP Substitutes I'm working through, alternating smokeless and BP match to match..  Not sure at this point what I'll settle on after that.  PArt of the fun of the sport I guess.

Has the policy changed regarding loading data? Used to be we couldn't put data on the wire for all to see. Seems like it was deemed a liability issue.

17 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Has the policy changed regarding loading data? Used to be we couldn't put data on the wire for all to see. Seems like it was deemed a liability issue.

Been changed for a while now.  Reloading data is frequently posted.

I use 5.8 grains of Trail Boss with a 200 grain RNFP. Also...5.2 grains trail boss with a 250 grain rnfp. For Wild Bunch I load 5.6 grains of Trail Boss and a 250 rnfp

1 hour ago, Deuce Dynamite said:

I use TB and 5.5 gr with 200 gr bullet is the same formula I was given. I did about 500 loads of 5 gr TB for a shoot today. Based on the posts here it sounds like I'm not going to be happy about it lol

I don't quite understand why Hodgdon loads don't follow Hodgdon published advice.

The max published load of TB in 45C is 6.5 trains, 11,000 PSI.
Using their published 70% procedure, the starting load should be 4.55 grains.

It does not appear your 5.0 grains will be dangerous, just anemic.
6,500 PSI, 632 fps.
BHN=5.1 (pure lead)

Archived