SASS Wire Forum

Opinions on SxS shotguns

Jack Spade

With the pandemic and the gun buying panic that is going on any gun new or used is hard to find.  I got lucky and ordered a new CZ from Longhunter but it will be several weeks before it ships.  So I am looking for a SxS to shoot in the mean time and to use as a back up after the CZ arrives.  I also have a pard who is wanting to try out CAS and has no equipment so the gun would also be a loaner to him.   I have found a couple local to me that I am considering but want your opinions.  I would also like suggestions of modifications to do to make them run better.   The ones I have found are a Fox model B, two different ones, one with shorter barrels than the other, and a Lefever nitro special.  The lefever and one of the fox's have 28 inch barrels and the other fox has 26 inch barrels.   The shorter barrel fox is priced about 25 percent more than the other two.  Thank you for the input.  Jack

Good point, hadn't thought about the lug.  I have a dealer that has a new stoeger in stock.

It's kind of funny, the "lug" or dolls head between the barrels never gave me any issue until it was pointed out to me. 

There are lots of SxS that will work for SASS especially considering this is just to get you buy until your Longhunter CZ comes in.  The Stoeger is a very popular gun, but there are lots of older makers and models out there that will fit the bill.

56 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

With the pandemic and the gun buying panic that is going on any gun new or used is hard to find.  I got lucky and ordered a new CZ from Longhunter but it will be several weeks before it ships.  So I am looking for a SxS to shoot in the mean time and to use as a back up after the CZ arrives.  I also have a pard who is wanting to try out CAS and has no equipment so the gun would also be a loaner to him.   I have found a couple local to me that I am considering but want your opinions.  I would also like suggestions of modifications to do to make them run better.   The ones I have found are a Fox model B, two different ones, one with shorter barrels than the other, and a Lefever nitro special.  The lefever and one of the fox's have 28 inch barrels and the other fox has 26 inch barrels.   The shorter barrel fox is priced about 25 percent more than the other two.  Thank you for the input.  Jack

If you have to end up repairing an older gun getting parts might be a problem.  If no parts are available repair costs go up significantly.

Or keep an eye out for a Charles Daly or Miroku 500.   It's a "less special" Browning BSS (all made by Miroku) in the 1970s and 1980s.  A fine gun, usually needs the automatic safety disabled, but then shoots very well.   Often available very lightly used for $500.  And does not have a barrel extension.

Good luck, GJ

I didn't pay any attention to that dolls nose or dolls chin (whichever) until I started to use my Fox at a match.  When I went to load on the clock, I thought where did that come from.  I sold the Fox and now use a Stoeger.

I got a message from Longhunter today that my CZ should ship out next week, about two weeks earlier than expected!!

On 10/22/2020 at 8:53 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

None of the above.  Go looking for a Stoeger with double triggers. 

Are the single triggers less reliable or is it just a preference?

26 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Are the single triggers less reliable or is it just a preference?

There seems to be several folks who've had some problems with the single trigger Stoegers

Randy

On 10/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Funny.  ALL of my Hammer Doubles have a "Dolls Head" of one form or another.  I have never found them to be a hinderance to loading.  Odd.

Agree.  I find it helps to line up the shells with the chambers. 

Chuck,

Many single trigger guns reset on recoil.  Often, with CAS ammo, there is insufficient recoil.  With single trigger Stoeger, they're just plain flaky.  Most of the CAS Shotgun set-up guys convert the guns to mechanical reset.  Reliability.  With Double Triggers, you essentially have two shotguns "Side by Side."  See???

I got lucky early in CAS shooting and picked up a Browning BSS.  Single mechanical trigger.

Now I have a nice Sporter, selectable trigger with inter-changeable chokes that works for all the events.

This was after discouraging experiences with several other less expensive brands.

Today, expensive,  but they last almost forever.

I still see them running after 22 years of good work.

You get what you pay for..

Ol'  #4

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If you happen to stumble onto an SKB model 100 or 200, snatch it up.  Properly tuned, that SKB is the Holy Grail of Cowboy shotguns.

What he said!

I ran a Stevens 315 single trigger for the last 3 years and it worked great for me but it has its issues (that lug is not one of them). Finally I bought an SKB 100 4 weeks ago. I shot it Sunday for the first time in a match and wow! What a great gun! The only complaint I have about it is the weight, or actually the lack thereof. I like a heavier shotgun, I feel the weight sucks up a lot of recoil and actually helps me shoot faster. So I flattened out fifteen 45 colt 200gn bullets and dropped them down inside the stock bolt hole to add weight and it worked out perfect!

I love my Stoeger Coach Gun.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:54 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Chuck,

Many single trigger guns reset on recoil.  Often, with CAS ammo, there is insufficient recoil.  With single trigger Stoeger, they're just plain flaky.  Most of the CAS Shotgun set-up guys convert the guns to mechanical reset.  Reliability.  With Double Triggers, you essentially have two shotguns "Side by Side."  See???

If you want to use the shotgun for anything else, like waterfowl, or rabbits, or like I do, trap and skeet, the double triggers allow you to select on the fly which choke you want to use for that particular shot.  I don't think this has any use in CAS, but it's handy for shooting disciplines with unpredictable targets, or targets that present both close and distant.

I have two Parkers.  One has the lug and 18" barrels.  The other has no lug and 30" barrels.

The 18" one kicks like a mule.

The 30" has almost no recoil.

I love long barrels anyway.

The lug makes no difference to me in loading.

And...  Well, they are Parkers.

15 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

If you want to use the shotgun for anything else, like waterfowl, or rabbits, or like I do, trap and skeet, the double triggers allow you to select on the fly which choke you want to use for that particular shot.  I don't think this has any use in CAS, but it's handy for shooting disciplines with unpredictable targets, or targets that present both close and distant.

Uh... that’s why they have selectors on single trigger SxS guns. You are fully capable of selecting “on the fly” as well:)

I have several doubles, both hammered and hammer less.

My go to gun is a Fox single trigger with 26 inch barrels .

This gun just swings and stops nicely and fires the second shot as fast or faster than a double.  

Archived